Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux, (Help) How Long???

So, I am 5 weeks post op and just days after surgery I had developed really bad acid reflux. I didn't know what it was at first because I had white foamy stuff coming out of my mouth. My tongue was completely white and I was and am constantly thirsty, even though I drink well over 70 ounces of Water a day.

I have been back and forth with this ever since. So, last week I went back to the surgeon's office where she was able to remove a tiny bit of air from my band (hoping this would help) NOOO, I still have white foam coming out of my mouth and the back of my throat feels funny, hard, like something is in there. She put me on Nexium and its been 2 weeks and still nothing. My tongue looks a lot better over the weeks, but I am still foaming.

I spoke with my surgeon today and she told me to keep taking the nexium there is no reason for anyother testing because I am able to drink and eat with no problems. she said it does take time.

I hear some people who have acid reflux before surgery, the band helps.. In my case, its considered a side effect because I never had acid reflux before (lucky me)

My question, do you have acid reflux? did it happen after surgery? and how long before you felt relief or did it get better?

I could use all the help I can,. I am even trying to do power of elimination here to see if its something I am eatting that triggers the acid, like dairy?.

Thank you!

-Patty

did they do an upper GI for you b4 the surgery. I always had acid reflux and they found a huge hiatal hernia. they repaired it and I have had no reflux since surgery. Do you trust your doc? This does not seem normal.

Are you sure this is reflux? for me it was a burning burp after eating. it hurt and felt awful in the throat. I took drugs for a long time along with chewing Tums all the time.

did they do an upper GI for you b4 the surgery. I always had acid reflux and they found a huge hiatal hernia. they repaired it and I have had no reflux since surgery. Do you trust your doc? This does not seem normal.

Are you sure this is reflux? for me it was a burning burp after eating. it hurt and felt awful in the throat. I took drugs for a long time along with chewing Tums all the time.

They did not do an upper gi series pre-op testing because I have no history of acid reflux. They do check for hiatial hernias during the surgery and repair it while getting banded. Yes, I do burp/belch all day long, even after drinking Water. Yes, I do trust these surgeons they are the best in NJ that we have. There are 4 surgeons on call at all times no matter who I get they are very very good. She did mention to give it some time that they have patients who never had reflux and get it after being banded,but it goes away over time. I have to say looking at my tongue from weeks ago to now its a huge difference, its pink and not covered in white anymore, thank goodness for that!

If this persists I am certain she will do some testing on me,

Thanks for your help that means a lot :)

I have had horrible problems with stomach acid... mine has not caused any reflux, but all stomach ache... to the point that it effects me working (hair-stylist)... I was also put on Nexium, and am still taking it... it has gotten better, but if i drink coffee i'm in pain for 2 days... awful!!!!!!!!! I really hope that you feel better soon!

Familygirl, thank you.. I hope to be post something positive on this soon!!

feel better yourself :)

I have had horrible problems with stomach acid... mine has not caused any reflux' date=' but all stomach ache... to the point that it effects me working (hair-stylist)... I was also put on Nexium, and am still taking it... it has gotten better, but if i drink coffee i'm in pain for 2 days... awful!!!!!!!!! I really hope that you feel better soon![/quote']

it could be ur gallbladder I was like tht with my stomach

I am posting this for your information so you know my history and what can happen if reflux is left without treatment. I ended up having my band removed due to my reflux developing into GERD, which ultimately resulted in esphagous erosion. After three years (banded on 2008), my esphagous all but stopped working. I had minor reflux prior to banding and I was told by my original surgeon that the band would fix it. In the next few years I relocated and changed surgeons (lost my insurance, went through a nasty divorce; took MONTHS to find a surgeon that would take me). I ended up going for almost a year without any follow-up (although the first two years I kept every appointment and followed my doctor's instructions to the T). I started having reflux after about a year and was told at times I was "too tight" and would have Fluid removed to help treat it. Was on and off nexium as well. My year without a doctor didn't help my situation. I'm sure the stress didn't either.

The upper GI test my new surgeon ran found the esophagous erosion and also that my band had eroded into my stomach. I was in constant pain, couldn't eat and could barely drink. I would wake up at night coughing uncontrollably and at times couldn't breathe (waking gasping for air). My new doctor told me that in my case the band actually aggrevated my reflux (albeit mild). My band has been removed now for a year and I opted to revise to RNY.

I am writing this to let you know the worst case scenario; not to scare you. Banding isn't for everyone. I have seen so many people that have been successful. Some that have had reflux that the band all but cured (my husband is actually one of them). I loved my band for two years and thought it was the best decision I'd ever made - I was the biggest band cheerleeder in the world. Now, my advice to those who are having problems or those who are looking into surgery is that it isn't for everyone. If you are having problems, it may not be your fault...don't get discouraged and don't let ANYONE tell you that you are a failure. There is not an easy fix to this disease (and yes I call it a disease), obeisity...it is hard work. Living being banded was hard work, but so is living with bypass. For now, watch what you eat, (keep the acidic foods/drinks to a minimum), if you drink carboninated drinks - stop now! and take your medications as your doctor directs. I hope you feel better soon! I'll get off the soap box now :-)

Just fluffy, thank you for that information I truly am taking in all the feedback as I read. I am on the surgeon around the clock. In the next 2 weeks if there is no changes at all with my reflux I will start getting tested (upper gi series, etc.) I will continue to take the acid blocker as well.

The only changes I have had over the weeks is that my tongue is no longer white. OMG it was dreadful the dry white tongue. Its back to its own color now, but i do have the foam and am praying that it goes away. I am doing everything right by the book and want this band to stay in as long as possible, unless of course to no fault of my own it has to be removed for any medical or emergency reason.

And you are right about the sugary drinks, after I drank prune juice (4 ounces) I immediately started to foam. I write down everything that triggers the acid. Althought I have to admit I went to the bathroom after that (amen), LOL However, I do not drink anything but Water. I noticed now that any sugar free drinks like crystal light and even diet ice tea triggers. Most all sugar free items are triggering the symptoms, such as ss ice pops,ss pudding, and ss Jello. This is leaving me with barely any choices to eat to curb any cravings I might have. I had watermelon and a peach and was okay. (I did remove the skin from the peach). So far with foods I haven't found anything that is triggering the symptom, as of yet ...

I am so sorry you had to go through all that, and you are right, some things are just out of our control and we are not to be blamed!

Thank you again so much for your advise,

Much continued success to you :)

-Patty