Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Length Of Hospital Stay

Hi All, I am continually shocked that people are being sent home the same day of surgery (unless I am misunderstanding them) . My surgery was on a Monday morning and I wasn't released till Tuesday afternoon, I got the feeling I could have stayed longer (hours) if I felt the need. I know that sometime during the night I was taken for an x-ray to confirm the band placement and as a standard in case of future issues. I was receiving heprin (sp) shots every 6 hours, they monitored my urine out-put, the list goes on and on of all the nursing type things that occured in that 36 hour period. How could that level of care be given at home? I thought my care was standard, I was low risk, this was standard care for my surgical group. If I were looking for a doc, I would certainly be asking about the length of the standard hospital stay, it makes a world of difference in comfort level, at the least. Just my two cents.

I searched for a surgeon that did no extra/excess pre-op testing/hoops and no hospital stay. Since I was footing the bill I could not afford all that. I had surgery at 1pm and was out of there by 4;30.

my surgery was on a wednesday morning and i went home late thursday afternoon. (i enjoyed being there and being watched as it made me feel secure). at the time of my meeting with my surgeon, i asked about same day surgery and he told me that most of his patients went home the next day (and stayed overnight).

i to had that xray/barium swallow and urine output and had to do 2 weeks worth of shots in my stomach at home to help against blood clots.

i say if a person is (watchful/aware) of their body and keen on looking for complications, i would think they would be okay to go home the same day.

i am glad i stayed overnight.

I got to hospital in the late afternoon/evening, was one of the last patients to be operated on, stayed overnight and was released the next morning. I think it is standard practice here in Aus to be kept in overnight.

I was taken to surgery at 7:30am & was released at 4:30pm same day. I was surprised as my blood pressure was 70's/30's in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit but my last bp check before leaving the hospital was 120/80 so they said I can go home. I feel as though I should've stayed overnight just for monitoring but everything worked out. I was able to go home & sleep in my own bed, having no complications!! I guess they know what they're doing!! Lol!

Mine was a 7 hours stay.... from begininning to end.... which was fine with me. I had no complications and was made to get up and walk about 4 hrs after surgery. I suspect as with all we see on this board....every hospital and every Dr is different. I am sure if I wanted to stay I could have... but I was much more comfortable at home and really had no need to be in the hospital. :)

Here in the UK its pretty standard to be kept overnight i went in on a friday morning and went home saturday afternoon. I was happy to stay in overnight although medically i was probably ok to have gone home earlier :)

I too stayed overnight. The only thing I didn't like was the compression boots. I was definitely more comfortable at home!

My surgery was outpatient as well. Surgery at 11 am and I was discharged by 5 pm. I'm doing well but I wished I would have had an overnight stay. There is follow-up care via the nurse the next day but only by phone. They did the x-rays and barium test all the same day.

I was scheduled for 9:30am on a Thursday. They didn't actually get to me though till around 3:00 that afternoon. Very boring just sitting in a tiny area hooked up to an IV! For some reason they got backed up really bad. I had the option to stay overnight or go home. My doc said most of his patients would choose to go home. I was wanting to stay overnight just to be on the safe side, but needed to go home due to my kids and such. I ended up leaving at around 7:00 that same night even after getting really nauseous when i stood up and the nurse having to put an alcohol swab under my nose to keep me from throwing up. I was thinking they should have kept me longer, but I just thought they knew best. Later that night at home I did throw up after getting sick again when I stood up. Maybe that could have been prevented if I would have stayed at the hospital. I would advise anyone with the option to definitely stay over night!

My total hospital stay was around 5/6 hours. That was from being there for prep and walking out the door.

I just had a Tummy Tuck done and I was in the hospital for 9 hours. Again, that was being there for prep too.

I was scheduled for 9:30am on a Thursday. They didn't actually get to me though till around 3:00 that afternoon. Very boring just sitting in a tiny area hooked up to an IV! For some reason they got backed up really bad. I had the option to stay overnight or go home. My doc said most of his patients would choose to go home. I was wanting to stay overnight just to be on the safe side, but needed to go home due to my kids and such. I ended up leaving at around 7:00 that same night even after getting really nauseous when i stood up and the nurse having to put an alcohol swab under my nose to keep me from throwing up. I was thinking they should have kept me longer, but I just thought they knew best. Later that night at home I did throw up after getting sick again when I stood up. Maybe that could have been prevented if I would have stayed at the hospital. I would advise anyone with the option to definitely stay over night!

i couldnt have coped if i had to travel home the same day... but we live a fair distance from the hospital. plus i always have a problem with nausea after anaesthetics... i think overnight is way better as well. Like you say, nurses can give you around the clock care. i would always opt for overnight.

I had a bed hold in case I needed to stay, for insurance purposes, although I did not have to stay. I was admitted at 8:30, surgery at 10:30, once I was awake and stable enough, walked around a bit, I was taken to x-ray, I actually had to wait until the surgeon was done with all his cases for that day and he did his final rounds at night. Discharge was about 6:30.one of the best experiences I have ever had Ina hospital with me being the patient!

s-weight.png dwilliams

My dr says that most of his patients are only at the hospital for a few hours after surgery. My experience unfortunately wasn't that way. My surgery was at 6am on August 30th and after waking from the anesthesia I was told in very few words that I would not be leaving the hospital that day. My surgery lasted just under an hour with a hernia repair but my blood pressure dropped drastically low. By Friday afternoon my pressure had finally stabilized at 112/45. I'm so lucky that I had a staff that was prepared for everything. As much as I would have loved to leave the same day it just didn't happen. I'm now 2 days post-op and feel as good as can be expected for feeling like I was beat with a bat and have the bruises to prove it. lol

"This Too Shall Pass"

My surgery was scheduled at 7...we probably got underway by about 7:45 and I was up from the anesthesia by 9:30...left by 10 and was walking all over Seattle by that afternoon. Really eAsy surgery.