Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Did I Make A Mistake

Posted a few times with different issues. 8 days post op I know that is not long. But thik I made a mistake. Having pain and shortness of breath it relieved with anything. On creamed Soups so not hungry but can't walk with getting short of breath and need to sit. I'm a medical person so I I understand the whole healing process. Have appt with doc next week. How do I bring up options of taking out and how that is done without looking like a failure. I don't want it out know want to give it time. But want to know if I want it out what do I do.

you need to get a chill pill..........we all have been there with pain and thinking WTF did i do...if you are having chest pains and short of breath, dont wait til next week to see dr, call them on phone and tell them. you need to let your body heal, take your meds to help with pain and try to rest.

again, you just had major surgery. please relax. you are doing fine. hang in there okay

I agree with carolinagirl. I think you're only 8 days post op and need to try to calm. You said you are a medical person and understand the healing process, then you must also understand heightened emotions and even depression are common after having all those drugs pumped into your system.

If you really want to know about getting it out, then simply ask your doctor. But I have to be honest, I think that's a bit crazy when you haven't even really begun with your band yet so you have no idea what life with it is actually like.

I agree with mis and carolinagirl. I am 8 weeks out and am still dealing with emotions. It is getting better every day, but I am not losing weight and have wondered myself if I did the right thing. yet, I am determined to give this a chance. There are too many success stories on here, so I need to do this for me! The right way!! I would talk to your doctor, but give yourself a chance.

Good Luck!

Hi Mike, I am going on 5 weeks post-op (on Thursday it will be five weeks since I was banded)... I went back to work on my 8th day post-op! Please remember two important things... #1 You must get up and walk every hour if you can, even if it is not outside and you just walk around your house you must walk as much as you can while you're recovering (it is very important) and #2 a foreign object has been placed in your body and your insides are probably extremely swollen (like mine were) and it feels like you are short of breath and you feel tightness, but it sounds like your band is very tight because you're pretty swollen... my swelling took about 3 weeks to go down!! I agree with Carolinagirl that you should call your doctor and let them know what you are experiencing. Please know that you can always reach out here on lapbandtalk.com because there will always be someone who can relate to what you are going through and please don't give up... it definitely gets better!!

p.s. NO you didn't make a mistake... this is the best decision you have ever made in your life!!

Thanks for the replies. I know I need to relax. I called the office Monday about the shortness of breath. They said prob gas. Taking gas x no relief. Worried cause have work next week and what am I going to do if I can't walk down the halway. I am prob all emotions. Just sucks thinking might have made a mistake. The scale shows down 20 pounds and that is not exciting me at all.

this may sound mean..so i apologize now....

your bitching about only losing 20 pounds? that is 4 five pound bags of sugar. try toting that around in your arms all day and see if you get tired..if you are thinking you made a mistake now, then you are doomed. you either have to change your thinking and get on with making yourself well or talk to your dr about taking thing out. enough with the pity party mike. you went though all the pre op stuff knowing full well what you were you doing......had the surgery and now dealing with the sometimes tough post op recovery.

face the facts that you have to heal. TMF will tell you not to worry or expect losing for 4-6 weeks after surgery. and you harping on it to yourself that you are a failure and you wish you didnt have this is just stupid.

snap out of it. you have done damn well so far. i wont expect nothing less from you. follow the dr's orders....walk and sip your liquids and just allow your body to heal. its going through enough without you adding needless drama on top of it.

why are you thinking negative? don't do it. you are not allowed. hear me??? think positive about yourself because i am.

Thanks for the replies. I know I need to relax. I called the office Monday about the shortness of breath. They said prob gas. Taking gas x no relief. Worried cause have work next week and what am I going to do if I can't walk down the halway. I am prob all emotions. Just sucks thinking might have made a mistake. The scale shows down 20 pounds and that is not exciting me at all.

Mike, first off, let me say 20lbs in just over a week is incredible. I am sure many people would love to trade places with you.

As someone who works in the medical field it'll be easy for you to verify this. So here goes. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, with you burning fat cells at an accelerated rate, your body is getting bombarded with estrogen thus putting you in a more emotional state. This emotional state most definately is affecting your perception of what is happening to you. You're gonna be fine.

My wife has let me in on the fact hat I am much more temperamental than I was pre-op. unfortunately for her, this probably won't end till I hit my goal. Which means my jeweler & florist are gonna be getting a large percentage of my earnings for a while.

Good luck with your journey.

I wasn't complaining about loosing 20 pounds. It was the pain and sob that got me. Went for testing. Looks like stiches may have broke or something and band not in place right causing the stabbing pain and sob. Working on what to do. Sometimes your body and mind tells you something is wrong just don't always know how to listen to it.

Hi Mike, how's it going now? What happened when you went to the doctor's? Are you back to work now...? I just wanted to follow up with you to see how you are doing? I hope you are doing well :)