Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treated For Depression/anixity Pre Op??

Just joined this great app today and just figured out how to start a thread. I am currently on medicaid and am going in for my consultation visit next month. I am currently and have been treated and have been on meds for years for depression with anixity as well as problems sleeping. However ive heard you have to have a pysc evaluation before the surgury. Will they deny me because of my mental condition. I want to be open and honest with the doctor but am terribly afraid of being denied. :/ can anyone give any advice? Anyone had the surgery with a mental health problem such as mine?

I had a history of depression and anxiety, in fact I was on Xanax during the pre-op process. I had battled depression for years (I was on different antidepressants for years, too) and had such bad anxiety attacks I felt like I was having a heart attack.

I was honest about it. When they psychiatrist asked me why I was depressed, I chuckled sarcastically and said "If you were a 400 pound, single mother with Multiple Sclerosis, wouldn't you be depressed?" (yes I also have MS)

Not that I recommend my smartass answer, but you get my drift. So did she ;)

For the record? I've been off all meds for depression and anxiety since surgery in January. I haven't had a single anxiety attack and this is truly the happiest I've ever been during my adult life. I'm not saying WLS surgery can cure anxiety or depression, but for me, losing weight and finally taking care of my body has helped more than any drug ever could.

Best wishes to you

I asked my primary the same question and she said I should not be denied because of my depression/anxiety medication and the psych eval is supposed to be solely to make sure you are sane and able to make a life changing decision. Good Luck!

Just joined this great app today and just figured out how to start a thread. I am currently on medicaid and am going in for my consultation visit next month. I am currently and have been treated and have been on meds for years for depression with anixity as well as problems sleeping. However ive heard you have to have a pysc evaluation before the surgury. Will they deny me because of my mental condition. I want to be open and honest with the doctor but am terribly afraid of being denied. :/ can anyone give any advice? Anyone had the surgery with a mental health problem such as mine?

They won't deny you, they just want to make sure you are emotionally ready for the surgery and make sure you keep up with your meds. Good luck you'll be ok.

By the way, I'm speaking from experience. I was on meds during my psyc eval.

Best wishes :)

Yes you should be fine! I take depression/anxiety meds and I think many people do. I am only 4 days post op and am still taking my meds, but would love to stop at some point.

They want to know if you are mentally prepared for the surgery...but I'm not sure that we ever completely are! We have become addicted to food and this process is going to take awhile! Good luck!

I was afraid too when I went through mine. But I was cleared. I need to go back and get evaluated again. I think Im needing to get medicated again, :wacko:

I was on Effexor and Xanax at the time of my psyc eval. And had been having panic attacks. I think some mental/ emotional problems are expected in very obese people. The feeling that I got from my eval was that they wanted to make sure that I understood the surgery and what to expect after, make sure I had realistic expectations, and make sure I had a good support system.

Thanks ladys :) As i read the forum i find myself with more questions. For example the pre op diet? How long and how much weight do u generally hve to lose? Second. What exactly is the "green zone" everyone is talking about? Any help?

Really interesting topic -- i was on Celexa and Clonazepam for years to treat depression and anxiety but always felt like it was a "crutch," (I'm also clean and sober for 14 years, so I felt like I was "cheating"), so over the course of about a year, I slooooowly went off of them under a doctor's care. I had been medication free for about a year, when maybe a month before my surgery I started having uncontrollable panic attacks again. Went back on small dose of clonazepam (.25 mg) a day, and boy did it help!

I have only realized over the last few days that I definitely am exhibiting the signs of depression again (even pre-op) -- listlessness, isolation, that "veil" between me and life -- if you have depression, you'll know what I'm talking about! So I'm considering discussing with my doctor starting on Celexa again. I got off all the stuff because I thought it was interfering with my ability to lose weight -- but that was my EATING! Ohhhhhh..... :rolleyes:

So I would love any advice on taking antidepressants post-surg as well. I know we're all snowflakes, and I'll talk to my doc for sure, but had just been thinking about the same thing when this thread showed up....

Blue

Wow mis73 thanks for sharing yr story....i suffer fr depression but not on meds.