Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Story From Pre Op Class

True, all Drs are different, but no Dr does surgery without having patient NPO from midnight before surgery.

what's NPO?

Wouldn't that be NBM? I think it's Nothing Pre Op perhaps

Nil per os (alternatively nihil/non/nulla per os) (NPO) is a medical instruction meaning to withhold oral food and fluids from a patient for various reasons. It is a Latin phrase which translates as "nothing through the mouth". In the United Kingdom, it is translated as nil by mouth (NBM)

Very interesting indeed.

definitely means nothing by mouth....I'm a nurse and that's the official meaning of npo ;)

(it's latin)

lol me too

Years ago, at a hospital I worked at, a patient had gastric bypass, (the old fashioned ope way) did her 3 or 4 days in the hospital, went home and had a massive binge. Dunno if she ate so much so tore something or threw up so much she damaged something but eventually started vomiting blood, came back to the hospital, opened her back up to try and find the injury. Similar story, ended up septic and died....

A cheeseburger isn't worth it!!!! :P

What does septic mean? Is it a type of infection? O.o mind boggled! Follow doctors order!

Septic means there is an infection in your entire body, usually in the blood. My dad went septic 3 years ago, it was horrible. In septic your organs begin to shut down and the kidneys are usually the first. Septic shock is extremely dangerous and extremely potent antibiotics must be used ( my dad's was a cocktail of 7 others) usually occurs when a tear in the GI system.

Septic means there is an infection in your entire body' date=' usually in the blood. My dad went septic 3 years ago, it was horrible. In septic your organs begin to shut down and the kidneys are usually the first. Septic shock is extremely dangerous and extremely potent antibiotics must be used ( my dad's was a cocktail of 7 others) usually occurs when a tear in the GI system.[/quote']

Oh my goodness! Sounds very scary. Thank you for replying.

KristensMommy:

Sorry if I offended you in any way. I know you are not an idiot. I just had this picture in my mind of this cheeseburger. LOL, but you are right, somethings are not funny.

Best of Luck with your surgery!

KristensMommy:

Sorry if I offended you in any way. I know you are not an idiot. I just had this picture in my mind of this cheeseburger. LOL' date=' but you are right, somethings are not funny.

Best of Luck with your surgery![/quote']

It's really my fault because I wasn't clear in my

original post. I didn't know people would think I legit meant a whole cheeseburger fell out lol. Thank you for wishing me luck :) I want these last three weeks to fly by!

I have learned that since these conversations are all via text it becomes extremely difficult to pick up on someone's tone of voice so its important to be very clear and remember that.

I was mainly scared of waking up and finding out they could not put the lap band in cause my liver was too fatty to lift. I was told that's the main reason for the pre op diet to reduce the fat in your liver so its easier to move around. Even when I woke up after surgery I didn't feel anything different so the first thing I said to nurse was oh please tell me I have lap band now. She laughed and told me yes.

I have learned that since these conversations are all via text it becomes extremely difficult to pick up on someone's tone of voice so its important to be very clear and remember that.

I was mainly scared of waking up and finding out they could not put the lap band in cause my liver was too fatty to lift. I was told that's the main reason for the pre op diet to reduce the fat in your liver so its easier to move around. Even when I woke up after surgery I didn't feel anything different so the first thing I said to nurse was oh please tell me I have lap band now. She laughed and told me yes.

That is a fear of mine also. but I am going to follow my pre-oop diet too a T so i should stop worrying lol

I didn't have a particularly strict pre-op diet. We went to a BBQ the day before my surgery. I totes had a cheeseburger. Glad it didn't fall out during surgery bwahaha. Anyway, yeah it's good to follow your surgeons instructions for sure, but crazy scare tactics are for kids in my book.