Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Story From Pre Op Class

I had my pre op class today which told us about what to expect while we are in the hospitals and things like that. We started taking about the pre op diet and she told us that one patient disregarded the diet and two days before surgery he had a cheese burger and fries which had not digested yet. When the surgeon cut into him he could see the cheeseburger and it leaked out so the surgeon could not do surgery the patient beck septic due to the leakage, had to e rushed back to the OR , now has a huge incision, and almost died from the sepsis. WOW if that's not motivation to do the diet correctly idk what is

I think the surgeon is trying to scare you to make sure you stay on track (that's not a bad thing). They do not cut into your stomach when doing the lapband surgery so it is impossible for them to see what you have eaten.

This is more likely to be something that could happen during sleeve surgery as then they actually do cut into the stomach.

LOL... the surgeon got a little crazy with his scalpal????

I think they are just trying to make a point. I don't think a 2 day old cheeseburger and fries would be recognizable?

If he cut into the stomach, I'd find another surgeon cuz he is way off track.

Glad it motivated you, but something about it seems "off"

As elcee has pointed out, they do NOT OPEN your stomach.

Also how could the surgeon see the cheeseburger? 2 days later (even if he gulped it down without chewing) it would have looked like mush mixed with digestive juices (did the surgeon tell you he saw the lettuce and Tomato too? :))

LOL!!

Maybe with the sleeve/RNY surgery this was seen, but even then it makes little sense because if he ate the cheeseburger and it was in his stomach he would've been in big trouble with anesthesia/aspiration pneumonia.

But i'm glad it motivated you

I agree with above. Most bands are laproscopic. Had to be a scare tactic. Stomach had strong acid in it. Two days is too long to remain recognizable. Now they may have nicked the stomach during laptop due to the food in it, then patient confirmed eating the fries and burger.

Okay obviously I should of made my post a little clearer. The pre op class was a group setting. So there was about 6 patients no everyone was having the lap band. I was just sharing this story because it was crazy too me. Secondly, I am aware that a cheeseburger would not be recognizable after two day. I am not an idiot. The patient admitted to having the cheeseburger and fries before surgery. My surgeon is top rated so I do not have to find another surgeon. Just wanted to share the story because it stuck with me after hearing it.

Glad it motivated you' date=' but something about it seems "off"

As elcee has pointed out, they do NOT OPEN your stomach.

Also how could the surgeon see the cheeseburger? 2 days later (even if he gulped it down without chewing) it would have looked like mush mixed with digestive juices (did the surgeon tell you he saw the lettuce and Tomato too? :))

I'm actually dying of laughter right now LOL!!

Maybe with the sleeve/RNY surgery this was seen, but even then it makes little sense because if he ate the cheeseburger and it was in his stomach he would've been in big trouble with anesthesia/aspiration pneumonia.

But i'm glad it motivated you[/quote']

I'm

glad to see you are getting a good laugh . I don't find anything funny but okay. I've been

motivated this story was not

my only motivation.

I figured the guy was having GB, but I still couldn't get the hamburger sighting,lol.

I figured the guy was having GB' date=' but I still couldn't get the hamburger sighting,lol.[/quote']

Did you not read my response ?? The patient admitted to having the cheeseburger after all this happened. I should of been more clear in my original post. Yall have having a feild day with this one.

I'm

glad to see you are getting a good laugh . I don't find anything funny but okay. I've been

motivated this story was not

my only motivation.

I hope you don't think i was laughing at you!?

[G-D forbid!]

Chill honey, I wasn't laughing at you! I was just saying I didn't post after your first post and I figured the guy had GB and had eaten. After reading your second post, I got it! But still was not laughing at you, more at myself for trying to figure 1st post out.

We're all here for each other. Good or bad, funny or sad.

I wish you well on your journey!

You know' date=' some Dr's dont require a liquid diet at all. Most do for 2 weeks pre op but some dont.[/quote']

Yes, I'm aware

You know, some Dr's dont require a liquid diet at all. Most do for 2 weeks pre op but some dont.

Yep. My doc only requires Atkins diet 1-2 weeks pre-op. No liquid pre-op. I thought i was the only one

True, all Drs are different, but no Dr does surgery without having patient NPO from midnight before surgery.