Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm Becky.

I've been reading the boards here for a couple of months but finally decided to dive in. I am 4 months into the process since I decided to get Lap-Band surgery, and making my way through all the pre-op doctors' clearances - cardiologist, pulmonologist, gallbladder, etc. I am expecting to be banded in the fall - October or November.

I'd ultimately like to lose about 150 lbs. If I make it, I won't quite be "thin," but I'll be at a weight I was comfortable at for several years and which seemed natural for me. I've read a lot of discussion here that has gone both ways - people who've had great success and those who have struggled and not met their objectives. Lately I've seen posts saying Lap-Band is NOT the way to go if you want to lose more than 100 lbs, and this has me a little concerned, but not close to changing my mind.

I know it will be a struggle to change my way of thinking and eating - to nourish my physical body, not my feelings - and that the band will just be a tool, not the magic bullet (there's no such thing). But I have faith that the band will be the help I need to start over and live a healthier, longer, more adventurous life.

I look forward to joining you all on your journeys and wish you much success and fulfillment along the way!

I researched months prior to making my appt. with the surgeon. I can tell you why I chose the band. I was concerned with the malabsortion, rapid weight loss, elastisity in you skin, hair loss and rapid ageing due to rapid weight loss and loss of nutrition issues with the sleave an bypass. Alos with the sleeve and bypass, you do eat less volume there are no real restrictions to your diet. However if you eat too much sugar or fat there is the dumping of diarehea and if you can not control your test buds then you are stuck in a rut. People meaning nurses in the various testing appts I have struck up conversations with and they favored the band. I wanted the band because I want the restriction of the carbs (my enemy) and I wnat to acheive this weight loss because of my life I have dieted and met goal (when I only had 40lbs to lose) but could not keep it off. Looking back I could say that when I would go off of my diet, I was still eating the right things, but in volume and then once I started gaining weight I would give up. I also know that alot of the diets I was on were not nutrionally stable so my body would go into starvation mode because my body would not cooperative. Once I got on a diet with my nutritionist and I learned more about how much Protein, carb, fat and sugar intake per day, and saw results and realize I can continue that diet plan and to know that I will be healthy and maybe do things other than hiding in my home not being social. That did it for me. Nothing easy ends up good. I am always going to go off and on diets, so at least I am doing it with my tool. Also it is reversable and if you feel it is not working you could take the drastic plung to the sleave.

Hope this helped, and this is my option from the research I've done. :rolleyes: Oh I started my journey on May 22nd at 282 and 8 days post op, weighing 250, loss 18 pounds before surgery and feeling so excited of the corner I turned in my life.

Hi! I'm Becky.

I've been reading the boards here for a couple of months but finally decided to dive in. I am 4 months into the process since I decided to get Lap-Band surgery, and making my way through all the pre-op doctors' clearances - cardiologist, pulmonologist, gallbladder, etc. I am expecting to be banded in the fall - October or November.

I'd ultimately like to lose about 150 lbs. If I make it, I won't quite be "thin," but I'll be at a weight I was comfortable at for several years and which seemed natural for me. I've read a lot of discussion here that has gone both ways - people who've had great success and those who have struggled and not met their objectives. Lately I've seen posts saying Lap-Band is NOT the way to go if you want to lose more than 100 lbs, and this has me a little concerned, but not close to changing my mind.

I know it will be a struggle to change my way of thinking and eating - to nourish my physical body, not my feelings - and that the band will just be a tool, not the magic bullet (there's no such thing). But I have faith that the band will be the help I need to start over and live a healthier, longer, more adventurous life.

I look forward to joining you all on your journeys and wish you much success and fulfillment along the way!

well, i have over 100 pounds to lose and i am on my way.

i will never (be skinny) because we all know that being skinny does not mean one is healthy. its better to be fit and to be at a weight (i) can control and am happy with.

just follow your doctors order's and you will do fine.

this forum is awesome. you will get alot of support and make

some great friends. i know i have.

all the best and congrats on making a decision to make yourself well. :)

I, too, feel like I will never be skinny. I don't really even have the body type to be thin.

That's why I put my goal weight at 180 - still "overweight," but a weight that I is WAY healthier than where I am now.

Hey... if I get lower than 180 then heck yeah!! But part of goal making is to be realistic and make it something achievable.

Trust me... By the numbers I have 120 give/take to lose. I am choosing band b/c of the malabsorption (I am already osteoporosis waiting to happen from chronic steroid use), down time from work (primary bread winner), slower steady weight loss (I still have work to do on food issues let alone emotional changes that may occur), etc.

My surgeon always says you have the whole pre-op time to make your decision. He advises to get started through the pre-op while continuing to do the research.

Just weigh out the options keeping in mind that nothing will work if you don't!!

Keep in touch!! My date is 9/26/2012 so we will be fairly close on this journey!

Hi Becky-

I am on my preop diet, surgery is this friday8/17. I know a few people who lost over 100lbs with the band. It's how you use it. Good luck!!

Chell

Hi Becky and welcome to Lapbandtalk. Making a decision for any surgery elective or not is such a personal decision. What you are going through is perfectly normal and most of us have been there. You already stated you know it is going to be a lot of work. That is a good attitude to have.

I started out at 488 pounds and I went back in forth trying to decide what was right for me. I was so heavy and concerned the weight would not come off. After much consideration and the fact I didn't have any other life threatening health issues I decided the band was it for me. I was banded in April 2012 and so far I am down 67 pounds (not including preop loss).

Whatever you decide just know this: All WLS which ever one you decide on is going to take a lot of effort and will power. I am not saying this to discourage you or scare you. I am just trying to keep it real. It is work but with the tools it doesn't seem as out of reach.

My goal is 220 pounds and at 5'6 that still puts me in the obese class but I know that is a weight I can feel good with and live with. Any additional weight loss on top of that would be a treat.