Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Having The Lapband Feel Like?

Can anyone tell me what it feels like to have a LapBand? To me, it feels like you have a constant reminder to do better. Eat slower, healthier.

Can you feel it?I can't feel my band at all. My port, yes, if I touch it, but that's it.

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? There's no reason why it should affect your breathing.

Do you have a hard time swallowing? Your swallowing function is not affected.

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? Stuck to me feels like 2 minutes of horrid indigestion, followed by my mouth watering, followed by my brain telling me "GOOD JOB, now SLOW DOWN!".

What is a 'stuck' episode? Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach? In your pouch.

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? Changing my eating habits and losing 50 lbs has gotten rid of my heartburn.

Can you still eat spicy foods? I love anything with buffalo sauce, hot sauce, or salsa!!

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? I can do either. I've never had a problem getting fluids down.

Any permanent damage from it? Not so far!

Do you like it or dislike it? I love my band, and will love it even more once I hit the green zone. Had my third fill today and when I get back to solid food, I'm hopeful I'm in the zone.

Can anyone tell me what it feels like to have a LapBand? It doesn't feel like anything

Can you feel it? nope

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? No and if it does there's something seriously wrong

Do you have a hard time swallowing? Not if I take small enough bites and chew enough

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? Like a big lump in your chest/throat, usually with a lot of saliva (sliming). Can be very uncomfortable even painful

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? No, and if it does, it's too tight

Can you still eat spicy foods? yes

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? I guzzle easily

Any permanent damage from it? no

Do you like it or dislike it? I love it

Thank you everyone, you've been so helpful! Now I want it like yesterday! I know how to diet & I know how to lose weight........I just can't keep it off! I think LapBand is just the help I need! :)

Wow, these are some very specific and interesting questions from a LBT newcomer!

Hi everyone,

I'm just now starting the process & I meet with the surgeon tomorrow morning. I have a ton of questions for people that are actually living with the LapBand & not the Dr. that most likely doesn't have one..

Can anyone tell me what it feels like to have a LapBand? 95% of the time, it didn't feel any different than not having a band. If I got careless with my eating, I'd feel some upper GI symptoms that would remind me of my band, and I could feel my port by pressing on my abdomen.

Can you feel it? No. I could only feel my port (see above).

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? Nope.

Do you have a hard time swallowing? Only if I tried to swallo a bite that was too big or not chewed well enough.

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? Pressure and pain in my chest.

What is a 'stuck' episode? A negative consequence of careless eating. Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach? Opinions on that vary. I used to think the food was getting stuck in my stoma, but later realized (from research and from other bandsters' stories) that it was more often getting stuck in my esophagus. In a way, it doesn't matter where the stuck food is. What matters is eating in a way that avoids any kind of stuck episode.

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? Very rarely. It happened when my band was too tight, when my band slipped, and when my esophagus was dilated. So, maybe 10% of the time I was banded.(Note: the reflux damage that sent my band to the trash can was "silent" reflux I'd had since the 1980's, long before I was banded).

Can you still eat spicy foods? Yes.

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? Guzzling Water was only a problem when I was a new post-op and when my band was too tight.

Any permanent damage from it? No. Where did that question come from? Did someone suggest to you that the band could cause permanent damage?

Do you like it or dislike it? Loved, loved, loved it. It's been gone since 4/27/12 and I still miss it even though I'm having sleeve surgery on 8/16/12.

Thank you all in advance, I know some of these are silly but, I'm getting really nervous. There's no such thing as a silly question when you're considering bariatric surgery. :unsure:

Jean- THANK YOU for your honesty! I love that you said that you miss it, I wish you much success with the sleeve! I guess the question about permanent damage came from me researching the internet like a crazy person....I'm so damn nervous & this is ALL I can think about! Way to go on your 90+ lbs! :blink:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLY!

These were some great questions and answers. thank you all and thank you SinCity for asking them.

One question from me - what does restricted mean?

I was banded 3 days ago so am still recovering from the surgery. My surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia at the same time which may make the way I am feeling atypical. At the moment recovery is going well, but I feel constantly like I almost have heartburn which I'm pretty sure is from the hernia repair rather than the lap band. My stomach area is still sore - mostly by late afternoon or if I move the wrong way (twisting movements are bad). This week I have lost 3kg (6.6lb) and am adjusting to not eating any solids but am excited about this new stage of my life.

Thanks, It's_Me! Not too sure I really know what restricted means...I'm sure someone will help us out!

So excited for you, Sianme! :)

I second too much fun.

I am two months post op and exercise almost daily. I hav a stationary bike and elliptical. I also do weights. No problems exercising...just lack of motivation like it has been all my life.

Can anyone tell me what it feels like to have a LapBand? it doesn't feel like anything.

Can you feel it? no not at all

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? no never

Do you have a hard time swallowing? well I can't eat marshmellows and sometimes canned chicken to tough to get down.

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? the pickle thing was a good example

What is a 'stuck' episode? lots of sliming but mine has passed in minutes or less Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach? not sure

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? no me

Can you still eat spicy foods? yes

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? i can guzzle water but not sodas.

Any permanent damage from it? I sure hope not

Do you like it or dislike it? I like having it better than not having it. I don't think I could have lost weight without it. It is a tool that helps hugely.

I second what toomuchfun said! I love my band! The diet process is still, to me, a diet and is consequently difficult, but the band certainly makes things easier! I'm four and a half months in and I NEVER last this long on a diet. Having the band there keeps me accountable and having specific guidelines to follow has helped me be successful. Checking in with a doctor for fills has helped to keep me accountable as well. I rarely notice my band (discomfort-wise) unless I'm laying flat on the floor on my stomach with the kids, or like today when I'm sore because a resident poked around me like a pin cushion for two minutes to find my port until my doctor came to the rescue! I also want to add that everyone's experience is different. I have yet to get stuck at all or have difficulty swallowing anything so maybe the same will happen for you! Good luck with everything!

knock on wood - I have never had to throw up coz of something I ate