Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my question is how come some doctors make you do the pre-op for weeks (mine is 4 weeks) and some are only for a few days?

my question is how come some doctors make you do the pre-op for weeks (mine is 4 weeks) and some are only for a few days?

Because every doctor has their preferred treatment protocols and a slightly different approach to their medical practice and how they manage the care of their patients.

You only create negative feelings if you make a habit of comparing yourself to others. If you don't agree with the medical advice being given to you by your surgeon, find a different surgeon. If you believe that they are qualified to render medical opinions and trust their judgement that you are paying for, I suggest you make a choice to stop questioning their expectations and protocol, and become compliant with your diet.

If you "cheat" on your diet compliance, the only one you are potentially harming is yourself.

Even now, after 2 fills and nearly 6 months post op, I am still having to use distraction and drinking Water to help me manage my hunger every day.

Your post makes me extremely nervous. WHY are you still so hungry 6 months later?????

Your post makes me extremely nervous. WHY are you still so hungry 6 months later?????

As my surgeon explained to me, not everyone will achieve the level of restriction with fills that will keep them from getting hungry. My surgeon I guess is in the minority of surgeons who does not want to risk over filling the band and then end up with the need to unfill it. I have only 3.5cc Fluid in my band, and I know that if I don't stay aware of what I am doing while eating, I could easily get food stuck. Also, over time, as your tissues heal, you level of restriction will fluctuate and your body adjusts, so the idea of optimum restriction is not a set value.

Many people on this forum have written about waking up in physical distress with reflux, and experience sliming and/or stuck incidents. I don't want to be one of them. I prefer to learn effective coping skills to manage my hunger with less restriction and not worry about possible negative consequences with having my band too tight.

My fills have reduced my hunger quite alot, but I still get hungry between 3.5 -4.5 hours between meals. That's when I need to use free fluids and distraction to keep me from eating when I'm not supposed to. I do my best to not eat any sooner that 4 hours after the previous meal. And I do know the difference between head hunger and real hunger.

In my case, I have experienced weight loss related complications (the band is not responsible), and I am scheduled for surgery later this month (again, not related to the band). Many surgeons will unfill a band entirely if you are going under general anesthesia; my surgeon said that my band does not need to be unfilled, as it has much less restriction.

You should not be scared...it will be a decision between you and your surgeon as to how much Fluid should be in your band. It will also be your decision as to how much risk you want to accept for possible negative consequences with stuck episodes, reflux, or other possible consequences as your level of restriction is increased.

I have chosen to have more peace of mind and take more responsibility for my weight loss, and have less fluid in my band. I need to stay in my comfort zone when it comes to my health. Other's mileage may vary.

Best wishes to you for a successful journey...

Because every doctor has their preferred treatment protocols and a slightly different approach to their medical practice and how they manage the care of their patients.

You only create negative feelings if you make a habit of comparing yourself to others. If you don't agree with the medical advice being given to you by your surgeon, find a different surgeon. If you believe that they are qualified to render medical opinions and trust their judgement that you are paying for, I suggest you make a choice to stop questioning their expectations and protocol, and become compliant with your diet.

If you "cheat" on your diet compliance, the only one you are potentially harming is yourself.

I dont compare myself to other people i just have different question this is a learning experiance that is all. I also trust my doctor i mean i work with him everyday. I am just asking questions! I thought that is what the forum is for.. to ask questions and get answers not get attitude about it. and yes i did cheat and i have no problem admitting it. But i bet you everybody cheated on there pre-op and if you say you havent i am pretty sure you are trying to lie to yourself. I know what i did was wrong and yes i do beat myself everyday over the choose that I made, but **** happens... and i will move on. But please if you have negative, demeaning things to say dont post them about me because i would rather not hear it.

Thanks

I dont compare myself to other people i just have different question this is a learning experiance that is all. I also trust my doctor i mean i work with him everyday. I am just asking questions! I thought that is what the forum is for.. to ask questions and get answers not get attitude about it. and yes i did cheat and i have no problem admitting it. But i bet you everybody cheated on there pre-op and if you say you havent i am pretty sure you are trying to lie to yourself. I know what i did was wrong and yes i do beat myself everyday over the choose that I made, but **** happens... and i will move on. But please

Thanks

The interpretation you applied to my response was not accurate; if you have negative, demeaning things to say dont post them about me because i would rather not hear it. This was not my intention...sorry if you got to wrong impression. This forum is to learn and share best practices. My response was only in answer to your questions. Your inaccurate interpretation is nothing I have control over.

That you were able to be honest and admit your "cheating" on your pre op diet is a strong and helpful awareness. But cheating so early on can, not will, set up a difficult precedent that I wanted to help make you aware of. That was an insight I understand, and thought it would be helpful for you to know about. Maladaptive eating patterns have a psychology behind them; the more you understand how this may apply to you, the more successful you can be with your weight loss.

It would benefit you to not make vague generalizations about the rest of the population of the forum participants. "But i bet you everybody cheated on there pre-op and if you say you havent i am pretty sure you are trying to lie to yourself." And with this statement, you are wrong. You have no clue as to my level of motivation to be successful with my weight loss journey. Until you have the facts and supporting evidence, it's not accurate to judge others. And for the record, I was 100% compliant with my surgeon's instructions during the liquid phases of my pre op and post op diet. And that's no lie, and I am totally accurate with my recall.

As for "beating yourself up" for your lapse in choices, you are being harsh on yourself. We tend to be hardest on ourselves, but that is energy better channeled in a positive direction. It does not serve a valid purpose. We are human, and will not be perfect every day for the rest of our lives.

If you thought my response had an "attitude"...that's only your belief...and not the reality of the spirit in which my answer was written.

Best wishes for your success...

"But i bet you everybody cheated on there pre-op and if you say you havent i am pretty sure you are trying to lie to yourself."

hi there, just wanted to say i did not cheat on my pre or post op diet. (only because of what my dr told me could happen if i did).

hang in there and best of luck to you.

Y'know it's interesting, everyone is telling me to look into myself deeply and ask myself why psychologically I feel the need to EAT and cheat on my diet (which I barely did, but my diet is not liquids its just Atkins and early out i had a bite of something with carbs), but the fact is that, I'M HUNGRY! There's nothing deep about that! When i'm not eating right I simply have a MUCH BIGGER desire to pig out. And thats where (i sure hope) the band will help me. If i'm not starving myself trying to diet, i will be able to eat normal foods/portions.

I think that anyone who was able to go through their preop diets without cheating is really amazing!

But I also think that those who are truly struggling have lots of hope too

What is the privation?

well, its normal to be hungry. and now post op, if i am hungry, i eat. i am like everyone else.

i just eat healthy choices in recommended amounts.

on my pre op, when i was hungry, i drank a shake or ate what saved me, SF popsicles. it was hard but only for a short period of time. it made me stronger (mentally).

I meant to type what is the plication that you are talking about?

I meant to type what is the plication that you are talking about?

its where they fold the stomach into its self (with sutures and no cutting) and its similar to the sleeve. its kinda new. i have it and am doing excellent with it so far. def makes me feel full after about 3 oz of food.

So they do that as well as the band? Why not just get the sleeve then? I was originally going to get the sleeve but I changed my mind and decided on the band.

So they do that as well as the band? Why not just get the sleeve then? I was originally going to get the sleeve but I changed my mind and decided on the band.

simple, my insurance does not cover the sleeve.

simple, my insurance does not cover the sleeve.

and your insurance covered plication which is still experimental?