Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there:

I have always been scared of vomiting, and haven't thrown up in about 20 years.

Obviously, I understand there is a real possibility of throwing up after I have the surgery. I also understand that if I follow suggestions and directions from my surgeon, it is less likely to happen.

I guess I just wanted a little pat on the back. :( And any stories that will make me feel better (like, "Oh, it's not so bad....!")

Hoping to hear from you,

Blue

I haven't thrown up once since surgery. The only reason I could potentially see you getting sick right post-op would be from the anesthesia/meds. If you're really concerned just let the anesthesiologist know that you'd like some anit-nausea meds. If you're thinking that vomiting will come further down the road with being "stuck", then the best thing is just to be cautious while you eat. Chew, chew, chew! I'm almost 11 weeks post-op and haven't ever been stuck or vomited.

I used to HATE throwing up. I would make myself utterly miserable to avoid it, but started having intense Migraines when I was 21 and vomiting came way too often (had the migraines 2-3 days a week - horrible!). I got really used to vomiting and now it doesn't bother me, but I only do it when it's necessary (hope I didn't set off any bulemic alarm bells - - I've said many times I could never be anorexic because I'm too hungry or bulemic because I can't stand vomiting!).

no throwing up after the surgery. don't work yourself into a frenzy!!

do everything the doc tells you and all will go well, as planned!!

Good luck and welcome to lapland.

I don't know if this will help, and sorry if it is too graphic, but post surgery, vomitting from being stuck is not like the vomitting you have done in the past. I was like you and would cry when I vomitted, and I hardly ever cry. Since surgery though, it really isn't the same, and I don't want to go into too much detail, but if you chew, chew, chew and eat really slow, you should not have any issues. Also if you get ill with a stomach bug and feel the need to vomit, you should get ahold of your doctor asap and get an anti naseau medicine. They work really well, and a lot of us banders have them on hand :) Good luck to you!

I am still only 7 weeks post op and I have had no vomiting issues at all. I havent had an issue being stuck yet, but hopefully when it happens I am ready for it!

Dont worry! You will be ok!

You guys are great. Just what I needed to hear, every one of you. :wub:

You should never vomit with the band. After surgery, they give you meds to make sure you don't vomit. Once you're home and eating again, there's a possibility you could PB but again, you should never vomit. Vomiting from the band is NOT normal and can lead to slips.

PBing, or Productive Burping, is very different than vomiting. Vomiting is forceful and violent, PBing is gentle. It's literally just burping up whatever food is stuck without force. Very, very different than vomiting.

With that said, I really think you'll be fine. :)

I was wondering what "PB" meant. I had all sorts of ideas. ^_^ That wasn't one of them. Thanks!

I'm 3 months post-op, and I haven't vomited at all.

Thanks, running_scared, that's reassuring.

Thanks for posting this because i am the same way. I have heard horror stories about people who throw up and then have complications with there band so this is something ive been scared about as well. But i have also heard that its not the same when food gets stuck. Hopefully we will be in the same boat as these guys and not have to experience it!

Vomiting was never a favorite pastime, but like other life events, sometimes it just happened, especially during my 3 pregnancies and episodes of Migraine headaches.

I also had concerns about this pre op, and did ask my PCP about it. He said that adhering to the rules as set by my surgeon would keep me from being at increased risk of vomiting, and keeping anti-nausea meds on hand would be a good idea.

Since being banded 5.5 months ago, I have not vomited, had any incidents of "pb-ing", or stuck incidents. I have experienced episodes of extreme nausea, though these were attributed to severe dehydration and pancreatitis.

I will admit that I have become more aware of expiration dates on things like deli meats and dairy products. I try to use fresh everything and wash fruits and veggies well so that I minimize my risks for food poisoning...the one time I experienced that was enough to last a lifetime. If you practice "mindful eating", avoid distractions while eating, take small bites, and chew everything very well, you will be fine.

Best wishes for your success...