Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Months Later, Still No Fill

So I was banded June 5th and have had no sliming or anything getting stuck. But that is probably because I don't even feel like I had the surgery at all since I have no restriction, and haven't for last four weeks.

On July 11th I went to my dr for a scheduled fill, but I mentioned to the nurse I was going to Florida July 14th for a week. You would have thought I admitted to kicking a child, they were so aghast! I was told no dr in their right mind would give a fill so close to vacation and I'd have to wait till I come back. Thankfully I only gained 1.5 pounds in Florida, so I wasn't too upset.

I went back for a fill the 23rd of July to find that the good doctor was on vacation until august 1st, so I had to wait until today to get a fill. I've only lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks, and almost all that was the first 3 weeks, so I'm ready for a change.

Out of all this what really chaps my hide is that I'm self pay, so any fills I get 3 mths after surgery are free. I was hoping to have at least 2 fills in that time, but my doctor like to wait 4-5 weeks between fills so my next one might not fall in the 3 month window.

well that sucks.

just hang in there w/portion control and staying with eating 3/4-1 cup of food at any time. you can do this. its hard yeah, but look how much better you are feeling. and losing 20 pounds is not nothing. there are plenty of people who would kill to lose that amount. so be happy for yourself. i am.

I also am a self pay . I was banded on April 25 and have lost 44 lbs so far . But my cost of surgery included everything plus a years worth of followup and fills . Are you sure you only get 3 months ?

Wow. I think 20lbs in 8 weeks is pretty darn good I was banded June 8. I've lost 25. I've had one fill. I thought I was doing good?!

Your weight loss is extraordinary. Many of us lost less. I know you're just venting here but being cautious with your health is always a good move. It may take many more fills to find restriction, it's not as simple as you may believe it is. This is the way of the band and seems like the Dr's decision was the right one. What if you would have had too much restriction and couldn't even get Water down while on vacation? There aren't many ER's that understand the band and your port, so your Dr was looking out for you and your wallet.

I would plead your case to the doctor and push for a fill before your 3 month anniversary. He sounds reasonable and in my opinion competent so no need to worry so much.

tmf

So I was banded June 5th and have had no sliming or anything getting stuck. But that is probably because I don't even feel like I had the surgery at all since I have no restriction, and haven't for last four weeks.

On July 11th I went to my dr for a scheduled fill, but I mentioned to the nurse I was going to Florida July 14th for a week. You would have thought I admitted to kicking a child, they were so aghast! I was told no dr in their right mind would give a fill so close to vacation and I'd have to wait till I come back. Thankfully I only gained 1.5 pounds in Florida, so I wasn't too upset.

I went back for a fill the 23rd of July to find that the good doctor was on vacation until august 1st, so I had to wait until today to get a fill. I've only lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks, and almost all that was the first 3 weeks, so I'm ready for a change.

Out of all this what really chaps my hide is that I'm self pay, so any fills I get 3 mths after surgery are free. I was hoping to have at least 2 fills in that time, but my doctor like to wait 4-5 weeks between fills so my next one might not fall in the 3 month window.

20 lbs in two months is AWESOME, you went on vacation and only gained 1.5 lbs! You are a ROCKSTAR! Be patient you'll get your first fill and really start kicking butt! Keep the good work!

The reason Dr's don't like to give fills two weeks or less before you are out of town is because it can take up to two weeks to actually "feel" the fill. If you get too tight and your Dr is not around, it's problematic.

Also, like the others said, 20 pounds in that short amount of time is awesome! According to my weight graph, I have only lost about 22 since my banding 4 months ago and I am perfectly content with the downward trend! It's more than just a get band = lose weight game, there are a lot of mental aspects to it all.

I knew most people on here would be all positive and encouraging, and I love that, but I knew in reality what I had accomplished was so unsuccessful. Here is what just happened at my appointment today to prove this.

I got weighed immediately, and I weighed the EXACT same that I did during my July 13th appt. (20 lbs less) I've lost 13% of my access weight, and my acid reflux is gone. So I'm feeling pretty good, right?

The Doctor walks into the room and has the most disgusted look on his face. His first words are, 'well what is going wrong?' I told him that my first six weeks I counted calories, stuck to one thousand a day, and was feeling good. But I went to Florida, took a break from counting stuff and only gained 1.5 lbs. I admit that I should have started counting as soon as I got back last Saturday, but I didn't because it was hard to get back on the wagon (excuse excuse, I understand). The doctor straight up called me a liar. He said that nobody who eats only a thousand calories a day is as fat as I am, and I am 120 pounds over weight so he knows I couldn't only be eating 1k a day. Then he said that I shouldn't be counting calories, only fat because that is the only thing that matters with weight loss.

Then he told me that he didn't want to give me a fill, because I was obviously lying, and he didn't want to give somebody who didn't take the lap band seriously, a fill. I told him that I stopped counting calories July 14th, but I wasn't eating more than a cup a meal, and I wasn't eating fast food. Nope, he stopped me, said he didn't believe me, and he felt I wasted ten thousand dollars on my surgery.

I told him that I wanted a fill, as I think it would put me back on track and I could get serious again about counting my intake. He said that people who ask for fills are using it as a crutch, and aren't doing the things they were instructed to before surgery...so why should he waste his time? He finally (10 minutes of belittling later) agreed to give me a fill. I hopped on the table and asked him how much he was putting in. He stopped filling the needle and said that 'people who ask how much liquid they are getting are 100% guaranteed to never succeed' *eye roll*

It took him 2 minutes to find my port, even though you can feel it and see it, but he did assure me he put something in my band. My three months is up Sept 5th, so I have to get another free fill before then, but he told me not to come back unless I lose around ten pounds between now and then. I LOVE MY DOCTOR!!

I knew most people on here would be all positive and encouraging, and I love that, but I knew in reality what I had accomplished was so unsuccessful. Here is what just happened at my appointment today to prove this.

I got weighed immediately, and I weighed the EXACT same that I did during my July 13th appt. (20 lbs less) I've lost 13% of my access weight, and my acid reflux is gone. So I'm feeling pretty good, right?

The Doctor walks into the room and has the most disgusted look on his face. His first words are, 'well what is going wrong?' I told him that my first six weeks I counted calories, stuck to one thousand a day, and was feeling good. But I went to Florida, took a break from counting stuff and only gained 1.5 lbs. I admit that I should have started counting as soon as I got back last Saturday, but I didn't because it was hard to get back on the wagon (excuse excuse, I understand). The doctor straight up called me a liar. He said that nobody who eats only a thousand calories a day is as fat as I am, and I am 120 pounds over weight so he knows I couldn't only be eating 1k a day. Then he said that I shouldn't be counting calories, only fat because that is the only thing that matters with weight loss.

Then he told me that he didn't want to give me a fill, because I was obviously lying, and he didn't want to give somebody who didn't take the lap band seriously, a fill. I told him that I stopped counting calories July 14th, but I wasn't eating more than a cup a meal, and I wasn't eating fast food. Nope, he stopped me, said he didn't believe me, and he felt I wasted ten thousand dollars on my surgery.

I told him that I wanted a fill, as I think it would put me back on track and I could get serious again about counting my intake. He said that people who ask for fills are using it as a crutch, and aren't doing the things they were instructed to before surgery...so why should he waste his time? He finally (10 minutes of belittling later) agreed to give me a fill. I hopped on the table and asked him how much he was putting in. He stopped filling the needle and said that 'people who ask how much liquid they are getting are 100% guaranteed to never succeed' *eye roll*

It took him 2 minutes to find my port, even though you can feel it and see it, but he did assure me he put something in my band. My three months is up Sept 5th, so I have to get another free fill before then, but he told me not to come back unless I lose around ten pounds between now and then. I LOVE MY DOCTOR!!

I would find a new place to get fills ASAP. WHAT A SH*T PIG. Wow.

I would find a new place to get fills ASAP. WHAT A SH*T PIG. Wow.

I know. I am going to have to. I am still in shock. I feel totally worthless and like a failure.

Get a new Dr. You are the one paying him for his services, so for him to be so rude is astonishing. How are you supposed to succeed at this without the proper support? What happens if you gain a few pounds and are too embarrassed to return, thus gaining more weight?

I would start calling local Dr's and find someone who actually wants to help you.

I know. I am going to have to. I am still in shock. I feel totally worthless and like a failure.

Don't feel that way. Your Dr crossed the line and you need to FIRE him!!!

Wow!! So I have a great Dr in Dr Machado in Sacramento. I am so glad I do not have the jerk you have to deal with. You need to put his name out there so others who Google him will know what they are in for.

Wow, your dr sounds lovely. Is switching to another one a possibility? I do agree with not getting a fill before vacation. First hand experience here, since I spent 3 hrs in the ER last night begging for an adjustment. trust me, it's not fun. I understand your frustration, I'm going through the same emotions right now. It can only get better, right??

Don't feel that way. Your Dr crossed the line and you need to FIRE him!!!

Exactly this. I am still so shocked that a doctor would act this way.

Go to the grocery store and pick up a 20lb bag of dog food. It is heavy. 20 lbs is a great accomplishment. Don't let some jerk tell you it isn't.