Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism And Lapband Success?!?!?!?

Hey guys! I am a few months into my pre-surgery journey! I just joined this amazing website yesterday and was wondering if any of you fellow bandsters have hypothryoidism and have had success with the lap band??? Thanks!!!!

Hey!! Congrats on starting your journey!!! I have hypothyroidism... So my weight has fluctuated for the longest due to replacement meds. Since starting my journey over the past 2 months, I am down 30 lbs!!! I am very dedicated to my new lifestyle and I'm loving it! Best of luck to u!!!

5/28/12 pre-op diet started (217lbs) 6/14/12 Surgery 1.8cc added to 10cc band (205lbs). 7/17/12 1st fill (194lbs). 7/24/12 (191lbs)

DivaDown, wow thats amazing!!!! that is so encouraging to see that someone who has this thyroid disorder can have great success!!! Best of luck to you as well!!!

I have hypothyroid, have been on levothyroxine for about a year. After I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, everything went out of sorts. The replacement keeps me in the normal range. I've lost 50 lbs so far and am almost 11 weeks out from surgery. It can be done!!

I asked my surgeon if losing weight would have any effect on my thyroid level (in hopes to one day have it function normally on its own and I can quit the pill) and he said that the research so far has been inconclusive. Wait and see?

I tell you though, getting my thyroid level regulated and my Vitamin D level up to par, I feel 100x better.

Jen thats great!! 50lbs in 11 weeks!! WOW! Keep it up!! thanks for the info!!! Really appreciate it!

I had my thyroid irradiated many many years ago. I am on levothyroxine. I had my surgery April 6, 2012 and have lost 48 pounds. I have about 100

more to lose. I am 51 years old. I am following a very strict low carb diet and exercising. The diet was suggested by my surgeon, and his team. I

feel great! The weight loss has really improved my mood which I think is affected by my hypothyroidism. The lapband has been a wonderful tool in

my weight loss journey to a heathier and happier me.

I'm hypothyroid and since July 4 preop diethave lost 17 but since surgery July 12 have lost an additional 4. It is not as quick as I thought but I feel good and am committed. I seem to have lost more inches. I'd like to know from Jen what type of diet she follows and how many calories she is eating. My doctor suggested the south beach diet once I can eat soft ground food which will be this Thursday. Any suggestions everyone....by the way I'm happy for us all as we are on the way to improved health.

My doc did tell me that I will need to have my levels checked a little nor often to make sure the dose is still good in case my absorption level changes.

Prior being banded I talked to my endocrinologist he thought the band was a great idea and has lots of patients that did well. He said if I failed it would not be because of hypothyroidism. Started preop diet 6/15 banded 6/26 I'm down 45 and go for my first fill 8/2 my endocrinologist said he would check my levels in October and would probably adjust it then. So good luck you will have success

Randella, that is amazing!! Thanks everyone for the comments!! I feel alot more confident now that this wont hold me back!!!

It's great to hear everyone's success as I just posted a similar thread yesterday.. I was banded in May and have only lost 15lbs but also noticed loss of inches.. The slow weight loss is frustrating but I think I need to be adjusted more. but I went to my nutritionist yesterday who reviewed bloodwork that I took a month ago (2.5 months post op at that time) and she said my thyroid THC levels were the highest they've ever been which is quite worrisome and much more frustrating. I'm going to my md nxt wk to see if I need to be put on meds. I'm just hoping to control it ASAP, and hoping by getting that under control will expedite weight loss.

I have it too. They have to keep redoing my dosage as I lose weight because I keep going hyperthyroid....My endocrinologist says that the dosage is weight dependant, As I lose the dose goes down...I started at .200 and am now at .137...So far I have lost 75...I have hit a couple of plateaus but I eventually start to lose again, so yes it can be done :)

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 10 yrs ago and even after starting synthroid I struggled with with severe weight gain. To make a long story short.... I finally found an enternist who would actually take the time to listen to me. She explained to me that thyroid medication is one of those medications where there can be a huge difference between name brand and generic. After 9 yrs of taking levothyroxine, she put me on synthroid (take exactly as instructed) and my levels have been in normal range every since. It's a little more pricy for name brand, but definitely worth it!

I'm 3.5 weeks post op and have lost 15 pounds. Im 35 yrs old and I haven't felt this good since I was in high school.

I had surgery on June 29th.day of surgery 270 I'm now down to 247...23lbs down. I have thyroid disease and have not had my meds changed yet.I'm on 250mcg. Hoping one day to not have meds at all but i guess we will see