Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out A Little.

I was banded Friday, July 27th. I did a ton of research before I made my decision, talked to several people who have the band, and talked to 2 different surgeons before making my decision. Now that I have had the surgery, I find myself sometimes freaking out. I woke this morning and just started crying asking myself what did i do to myself? I can't tell when I'm full. I keep reading about people getting stuck, vomiting, hanging skin, and I keep thinking to myself, "this is what I have to look forward to?" Someone say it isn't so or give me a dose of reality.

Ok breath deep & relax. Everything will be ok. You made a good decision for your health. The band will change your life, in a good way. I was banded in Feb & have lost 53lbs. I feel great! Most people around me don't even know I'm banded, life is normal.

The emotions & second guessing is normal. It too shall pass. You are doing great! **hugs**

What you're feeling is totally normal. I haven't regretted the surgery for a second, BUT, I did have a moment post-op of "Oh my goodness, I've changed my life FOREVER, what did I DO?!" but then I managed to talk myself back down. What I did, was make a great decision for myself.

You're very newly banded. Please don't worry about not feeling full, etc until you're healed. It's a process. A journey. There are some drawbacks to weight loss no matter what you do to lose it (diet, band, bypass, etc). When you lose weight, you may have some saggy skin. It depends on your genetics and age. The whole stuck/vomiting thing is a learning curve. It may happen to you it may not. I'm 10 weeks post-op and haven't ever been stuck or vomited. I eat small bites and chew very well, and avoid certain foods that I think may cause problems (breads, crackers, etc).

I need to tell you though, this was by FAR the best decision I have ever made for myself. Losing weight and being successful feels amazing. It has been a huge lifestyle change but it was one that HAD to happen. My previous lifestyle was headed to a bad place.

My family and a few friends know I had the procedure done and have been extremely supportive. All in all though, my life doesn't feel abnormal at all. I just have a new normal. A normal where I eat very healthy, run every day, and fit into pants that are two sizes smaller than I wore just two months ago. A normal where I go to a restaurant and ask for a to-go box with my order. I can make three meals out of what I would normally inahle in one sitting.

It is a lifestyle change but not necessarily for the bad. Embrace the journey and keep your goals in mind. I have an overall goal (on my ticker) but I also set monthly goals to keep me on pace.

I wish you all the luck and success in the world on your new journey.

I'll need you guys to talk me off the ledge after surgery just trolling the internet will make you crazy! LOL Reading up on all the possible side effects is driving me mad!

Thanks both of you. Everyone pretty much knows around me. I don't think most of them know how to be supportive. It's one day at a time.

you are only 3 days post op, the drugs they used for your surgery are probably part of the reason you are emotional too! try not to get so far ahead of yourself, yes I do have loose skin hanging but it's not full of fat anymore!!!! the good changes will far outweigh the bad.

you did a lot of work to get ready for this BIG life change, don't negate it now. I want to talk to you again in a few weeks when everything settles down.

TRUST YOU & breathe.........

I'll need you guys to talk me off the ledge after surgery just trolling the internet will make you crazy! LOL Reading up on all the possible side effects is driving me mad!

Remember two things - - first, everyone is very quick to talk about the negative, but when things are fine people are typically quiet. Second, the risks of being obese are worth comparing to the risks of the surgery. I looked at both and to me, living my life 80+ lbs overweight was much more dangerous than the band.

"this is what I have to look forward to?"

Better this than a lifetime of being fat, unhealthy or worse, not alive.

tmf

This is totally normal post op! The journey is different for everyone, take it one day at a time and don't worry about what "might" happen. IF it happens you will deal with it then. Sit back take it easy and enjoy the journey!

What you're going through is totally normal. I remember the day after I got home from the hospital having a "oh hell what have I done to myself?" moment too. You just had surgery, you're going through a lot both physically and emotionally. Give yourself time heal.

As for the stuck, vomiting, and hanging skin. I do get stuck once in awhile but when I do it's my own fault for not eating slow enough or small enough bites. I've never vomited but I have PB'd twice, again, my own fault. I do have hanging skin and will be having a Tummy Tuck this winter because of it, but I'd much rather have hanging skin than be the 123 pounds heavier I was just this past January.

Best wishes to you :)

Three days post op is the worst for some reason... A lot of medical personnel will vouch for that too. That was by far my worst day. That was th day I was asking myself what the hell I had done. But you will get better, I promise! Just think of the future and how much better you at going to feel about yourself in a few months.

It WILL get better, I promise!