Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Cant You Eat And Drink At The Same Time?

Unfortunately this has been the hardest thing for me after surgery. I have been cheating by doing this. But why can't you do it? I've had no issues with it. Is it messing up my weight loss success?

It was explained to me that 1 of two things happen- first, it can wash out the food in your pouch faster, making you feel hungry sooner. Also, sometimes it can cause food to swell in the pouch, making you uncomfortable. It is also said that you should not drink 1/2 hour before- I asked my nutritionist and she said that is just so you don't feel full on liquids and can eat the solid Protein we're supposed to, but she said that wasn't really necessary as long as it doesn't affect me.

It has been really hard for me too. I just don't have a drink around me. At restaurants I have Water that I place out of reach!!

The theory is that liquids will wash the food through your pouch, defeating the purpose of the band (the help the smaller amount of food stay in your stomach, make you feel more full for longer). Some people even get a cork-like sensation while eating and can't drink.

Different surgeons vary on the amount of time between drinking and eating, but so far I haven't heard anyone whose surgeon doesn't suggest/require it.

It's a struggle for me bc my lunch break can vary at times - suddenly it's time to go eat and I've been drinking Water all day. If I know I have a planned meal time coming, I literally move my Water out of my reach because I instinctly drink all day.

Well, the theory is that drinking will wash your food through your band so you will not get full and will be able to eat more. However.... there are a lot of differen theories on this and weather it makes a difference or not.

For me, I definately eat more if I drink with my meal.

Another thought to consider. As you move through this program and your band gets adjusted to the point of good restriction - Fluid with your meal can actually cause your food to get stuck. Then you PB, slime and Throw up - you have chest pains and you think you might just die. SOOOO don't drink and eat at the same time. I know it is hard (probably 2nd only to the liquid pre-op diet in toughness) but they told you this for a good reason. It has happened to me - I know the pain.

Melinda in Florida

Well personally..I can drink all I want before I eat..but after I eat and I take even one drink its like liquid has no where to go but back up (not vomit but fill up like a cup lol) ...after I learned how it worked and I learned how to control it I found that I didnt loose any weight during that time..so I am sure it was just pushing the food through and making more room .. its just hard..I love having something cold to drink after a bite of hot food ugh.. oh well..its totally worth it to me :)

This should of been covered thoroughly before surgery. You aren't working with your band and helping yourself lose weight. Drinking pushes the food through and doesn't give the full feeling that keeps you from overeating.

I physically cannot drink while eating or else I feel miserable.

At a bariatric surgery conference I attended in July 2011, several surgeons stated that one of the most common reasons for failure to lose weight is the failure to separate liquids and solids....in other words, drinking while you eat.

My #1 reason for not drinking while eating: the liquid would come right back up, in a fountain. Do that in public a few times, and no one will ever invite you out to lunch again.

For further confusion on this interesting topic, read this article by Australian dietitian Helen Bauzon:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/page/index.html/_/healthy-living/food-nutrition/yes-you-can-drink-and-eat-at-the-same-meal-time-r63

Jean - Like a fountain - what a visual! I've never tried eating and drinking at the same time since being banded, and thanks to your description it's something I don't think I will ever try!

For me, it helps food get stuck. B efore restriction, it wasnt a problem and kind of hard. Now, I wouldn't dare drinking while I eat. I have no idea if its the sane for others.

I agree with lollicat, my food gets stuck and the next thing I am throwing up. It used to push my food through. After about my third fill I could not drink right after eating. My dr. told me 1 hour to wait and 1/2 hour before. Sometimes I push it and it is fine. Other times it is a challenge.

It will cause the food to pass through the and faster allowing you to eat more before you become satisfied. If you eat a bit and then drink the liquid can sit on top of the food making you feel full but the liqiud will pass through quickly leaving you hungry.

They say for best results to eat solids only so that you feel full for a longer period of time.

It is hard for me too.

Thanks for all the comments! I had my last fill on Tuesday and I'm up to 5cc in a 10cc band. I definitely feel a difference this time. ( I think!) since this post I have not been eating and drinking and will continue on this road. It is very hard, but I know I will have to do it to be successful. All of your comments have helped and encouraged me so much! Thank you!!!!