Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side Effects From Liquid Diet? On Day 4 Now!

Hey all, I am a newbie to posting..... but I am on day 4 of my Pre-op liquid diet. Being banded on Aug 1st.

Day one the shakes tasted terrible and so I just chugged them. I am supposed to have 6 and I had to force down a 5th one by 9pm that night.

The next morning I was down almost 10lbs.

The second day was a little easier. The third day (yesterday) was hard, probably because I am pms'ing also. So my nerves are shot!

But the 2nd day I started having loose stool, and it hasn't stopped.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS?? I feel so tired and weak, and have waves of nausea.

Thanks everyone!

I, too, noticed diarrhea with Protein shakes - but I believe its because of the milk. I'm not lactose INtolerant but milk does have a gastric effect on me.

I love powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes - but they are made with milk.

GNC carries Total Lean in zillions of flavors and is reconstituted with Water. Perhaps consider those.

Good luck.

fluids go in and fluids must come out. just a part of the liquid diet we all endure. i used immodium to help me.

all the best to you :)

My surgery is scheduled for August 1st and I'm on day 4 of the pre op diet too! My physician has me doing Optifast, 6 times a day, 3 shakes, 2 bars and 1 Soup. I too am having diarrhea but like everyone is saying, Fluid in, fluid out. Other than that and the occasional stomach rumbling I'm doing pretty good and down 4 pounds. Hang in there and good luck!

I was the opposite, I was SUPER constipated during liquids and mushies.

Justathing2me, how does the Optifast compare in taste to say slimfast? Optifast is what my doctor will have me on and I'm concerned about how it will taste.

Justathing2me' date=' how does the Optifast compare in taste to say slimfast? Optifast is what my doctor will have me on and I'm concerned about how it will taste.[/quote']

It's okay...I'm normally a vanilla person but I actually like the chocolate shake better.

Our digestive system needs some solids/fiber to work properly...have you ever read the disclaimer on the packaging of the GNC Protein powders?

While on the pre op liquid diet, I was allowed to have 1 cup of salad veggies of my choice every day.

Staying properly hydrated is extremely important, because dehydration can cause many problems. Be sure to compensate the fluids lost with drinking some additional fluids.

Hope you're feeling better now...

I was banded 6/14. Pre-op diet had me doing the same thing! My dr suggested benefiber to bulk things up. They have a sugar free one. It may continue after surgery and on the post op liquid as well.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will try the supplements.

My doctor has me on 6 Optifast 800 shakes a day. sugar free Jello-O, sugar free Popsicles and chicken broth.

I am having trouble drinking all 6! My dietician asked me to at least get 5 in. They just taste so terrible. I don't like vanilla or strawberry drinks, so I did chocolate. Just sucks.

I only like Jello Brand strawberry, and I don't like broth so we strain and Water down chicken noodle Soup.

This afternoon we went out on the lake and so I slammed my crystal light as I watch everyone eat Cookies, chips and drinking cokes. I just thought "Fattys" to all of them! :)

I have only had 3 today, Im trying to get a 4th one in right now. They just taste so bad, I would rather starve. But I know we need the caloric intake so Im trying. But I am about to break down in tears from frustration.

Why does my doctor require a 2 week liquid diet and some only 1 week??

Thank you all for your replies.

I will try the supplements.

My doctor has me on 6 Optifast 800 shakes a day. sugar free Jello-O, sugar free Popsicles and chicken broth.

I am having trouble drinking all 6! My dietician asked me to at least get 5 in. They just taste so terrible. I don't like vanilla or strawberry drinks, so I did chocolate. Just sucks.

I only like Jello Brand strawberry, and I don't like broth so we strain and Water down chicken noodle Soup.< /p>

This afternoon we went out on the lake and so I slammed my crystal light as I watch everyone eat Cookies, chips and drinking cokes. I just thought "Fattys" to all of them! :)

I have only had 3 today, Im trying to get a 4th one in right now. They just taste so bad, I would rather starve. But I know we need the caloric intake so Im trying. But I am about to break down in tears from frustration.

Why does my doctor require a 2 week liquid diet and some only 1 week??

The longer you participate on this forum, the more differences you will read with instructions given by surgeons to their patients...each doctor has their preferred protocol. My surgeon required a 2 week pre and post op diet, so I was on liquids for 4 weeks. And post op, I could not even have the fresh veggies!

The low carb liquid diet is prescribed to shrink your liver, to allow the surgeon to have better access to place your band. Obese people tend to have more fat in their livers. So, I hope you are using the sugar free Jello.< /span>

You really should find a Protein drink that you like, because likely periodically post op you will return to drinking Protein Shakes after fills. I have to return to a liquid diet for 2 days after getting a fill, then 1 additional day on soft foods.

I would continue to search and try several more brands until you find at least 1 that you do like...and be certain to read the nutritional values/ingredients label. You should look for shakes which have a minimum of 20gr Protein per serving, and the best protein for bariatric patients is whey isolate protein. There has been some heated discussion on the forum about whey protein, but it is still considered to be the gold standard for bariatric nutritional needs. I use the Wheybolic Extreme (1.5 scoops) from GNC (chocolate and Cookies 'n cream flavors). When mixed using 1% milk, I get 37 gr of protein per shake.

You should also have been given a number of protein grams to have every day...try to meet that goal.

BTW, the day before my surgery, when I could only have Clear Liquids, I had to host a luncheon (I had agreed to do that 6 months prior to having a surgery date) for my woman's club. While everyone was enjoying their chicken salad or quiche, I enjoyed sipping my iced water...you do what you have to do.

My band surgery had been delayed for over a year due to unplanned medical complications, so when I finally received medical clearance, I ran with it before anything else could happen to delay it again! :)

Best wishes as you continue on your journey...

My doctor and dietician said I can't do any other liquids, that it has to be the Optifast from the pharmacy in their building. So I will tough it out.

Post Op I am on only sips of Water the day of, then the next day water and sips of Protein Drinks. Then starting the 3rd day to about 2 weeks I have a restricted liquid diet, but can have Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks and pudding.< /p>

So it could always be worse.

I am just thankful to finally be doing this, I have been trying to get this surgery since 2008.

I too am doing the Optifast pre op diet. It does taste terrible and I have also had diarrhea:( I have my surgery Thursday, thank God, because I don't know how much longer i can drink those things!