Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Death

Do you know of any one that has died from having a lap band? I'm trying to find cons to having it done but I'm mainly only seeing the pros to having this procedure. Like my reconstructive ankle surgery was more life threatening than this...crazy!!!

My surgeon told me 1 in 2000 bands. He hasn't lost anybody with any weight loss surgery.

I am not aware of any, but I am sure that are some. I do know that there are many cons to this surgery and for many different reasons. It is a hard choice to make, and an even harder one to live with. You see, it is not a magic wand that makes the pounds disapear, it does not make chocolate chip Cookies good for you. It also does not stop you from eating more than you should. Many people learn to eat around the band, against the band and gain. Or they choose to live with their bands to tight, loose major pounds but wreck their bodies because they are constantly vomiting or not getting proper nourshiment.

The band is a lifestyle change, at least IMO and that was why I choose it. I didn't want to have my tummy cut in bypass, and I needed to know that it could be adjusted to help keep me on the right path. I also didn't want to give up all the foods I enjoy, I just needed to be able to have some controll rather that it controlling me.

Depending on your reasons for even considering WLS it might not be right for you. I needed to get the weight off because of my health. HBP just wasn't enough; being told that obesity had a side effect of cancer was what sent me searching. I did well my first two years, I feel better, sleep better and I even feel better about myself. Or at least I did until today. I had a medical procedure today and was told not to take my BP meds, well my pressure was up enough that I had to be given something so the doc could do my screening. I have been lazy the 6 or so months and have gained about 8lbs. Well I hadn't reached goal but was maintaing in an area I was happy with. I now know that the party is over and it's time to get back to it. I haven't done enough yet to be as healthy as I intended, I just got thrilled that I didn't have to shop at the fat shop.

Make your choice for you as you need it. Everything has a con, I know of people who died from yo yo dieting.

Do you know of any one that has died from having a lap band? I'm trying to find cons to having it done but I'm mainly only seeing the pros to having this procedure. Like my reconstructive ankle surgery was more life threatening than this...crazy!!!

This is a lot harder question to answer than it at first seems.

There are many factors which could be responsible for the death of someone that had a lapband.

!. Is their illness/problem and death associated with the lapband alone.

2. Did they get medical help when they needed it. i.e go back to the lapband surgeon when problems started arising.

3. Did a non - expert doctor/hospital ER contribute to bad management or inadequate treatment of a lapband patient

4. Were they ill before they had a band fitted.

There are so many factors in this it would be difficult to pinpoint any. Risks that would normally be associated with surgery apply to lapband surgery the same as any other operation.

There is always the chance of an incompetent Doctor performing lapband surgery, this risk i imagine is the same again for any surgery.

This forum does know of One member who sadly died, but to say it was all the lapband as to why she died would be very difficult, she was dishcharged home from an ER after being told to do something about the band otherwise she would die, and boom a week later she was gone. Its a hard judgement call to blame the band, the hospital, the person themselves .. like most disasters its a series of events that leads to a catastrophe and i believe that is what happened in this case.

The risks anyone faces from being obese and its associated co morbidities far outweigh the risks directly involved in the lapband, so please dont let any statisitcs put u off from seeking help and intervention.

good luck ..

This is a lot harder question to answer than it at first seems.

There are many factors which could be responsible for the death of someone that had a lapband.

!. Is their illness/problem and death associated with the lapband alone.

2. Did they get medical help when they needed it. i.e go back to the lapband surgeon when problems started arising.

3. Did a non - expert doctor/hospital ER contribute to bad management or inadequate treatment of a lapband patient

4. Were they ill before they had a band fitted.

There are so many factors in this it would be difficult to pinpoint any. Risks that would normally be associated with surgery apply to lapband surgery the same as any other operation.

There is always the chance of an incompetent Doctor performing lapband surgery, this risk i imagine is the same again for any surgery.

This forum does know of One member who sadly died, but to say it was all the lapband as to why she died would be very difficult, she was dishcharged home from an ER after being told to do something about the band otherwise she would die, and boom a week later she was gone. Its a hard judgement call to blame the band, the hospital, the person themselves .. like most disasters its a series of events that leads to a catastrophe and i believe that is what happened in this case.

The risks anyone faces from being obese and its associated co morbidities far outweigh the risks directly involved in the lapband, so please dont let any statisitcs put u off from seeking help and intervention.

good luck ..

That is really sad :-( Does anyone know if she followed up as the ER had suggested in regards to her band?

The only deaths I've heard of, other than the member mentioned above, are those through the True Results franchise in California. I also seem to recall another death about a woman who was put in the ER due to band related problems, but because her bariatric surgeon was busy with other patients at the time, she chose to go home instead of waiting and passed on.

I think most serious problems are unlikely to happen, and deaths like you are wondering about are due to negligence, either on the Dr or the patients part.

The chart below shows complication/death rate as compared to bypass.

As Cazzy says, it's hard to figure out what the real cause of death is in some cases. I know 2 bandsters who died, seemingly because of their bariatric surgery history, but I'd be hard-pressed to blame their deaths specifically on the band. One lovely girl died of an accidental overdose of meds she'd been prescribed for severe pain related to complications from her revision to gastric bypass. Another lady died from something that went wrong during her revision from band to duodenal switch.

But I don't know of anyone who died solely because of their band surgery.

I think the statistics are on our side. But having said that I think the most important thing you can do is find a good Dr and find out how many surgerts he has done.What is his follow up and his availabilty if you need an unfill. everyone of mine 3 happened on a weekend. One time the PA met me at a gas station half way to take some out she was on her way to Disney with here husband and kids and I was an hour and a half from the hospital so we met in the middle.

She knew that I was in trouble since I never called with an issue before and God Lover I needed help then. \

The next time a year later I suffered through 4 days Labor Day weekend and I gotten stuck on Fri. ended up with a complete unfill all sorts of scopes and x rays and the Dr saying DO NOT EVER LET THIS GO AGAIN.

So the Dr you choose is important not only before but after. My opinion for me was I have a bigger chance of dieing from the effects of obesity or living an unfullfiied life with out the band.

Thank you everyone for the information you shared. It sure seems like there are a lot more reasons to do this than there are to not!

NWgirl- I really appreciate the link! I will be spending some serious time comparing statistics and making an informed decesion.

Jean- I'm not certain what a duodenal switch is (perhaps going from band to RNY?), but as you mentioned with the pain meds I too knew someone years ago that had the bypass surgery and died from an overdose, unintentionally of course, of the pain meds.

Maya- It sounds like you have an absolutely amazing care team behind you!!! Thats wonderful, I hope I am able to pick a clinic like that.

So now I must ask you all, how do you choose your surgeon....I mean how many years should the surgeon have in experience for doing this type of surgery (in order for you all to personally feel confident)?

Thank you everyone for the information you shared. It sure seems like there are a lot more reasons to do this than there are to not!

NWgirl- I really appreciate the link! I will be spending some serious time comparing statistics and making an informed decesion.

Jean- I'm not certain what a duodenal switch is (perhaps going from band to RNY?), but as you mentioned with the pain meds I too knew someone years ago that had the bypass surgery and died from an overdose, unintentionally of course, of the pain meds.

Maya- It sounds like you have an absolutely amazing care team behind you!!! Thats wonderful, I hope I am able to pick a clinic like that.

So now I must ask you all, how do you choose your surgeon....I mean how many years should the surgeon have in experience for doing this type of surgery (in order for you all to personally feel confident)?

If you are using insurance, the likelihood is that they require you use a center of excellence location. If you are self pay, I would recommend going through a center of excellence as well, because they are certified as having a complete bariatric team and have to pass/maintain high standards to become an excellence center.

From yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com:

To receive this designation, a center goes through an extensive approval process, including an onsite inspection of the facility. The stringent certification criteria stress safety, proficiency and volume. Research has shown that bariatric surgery outcomes are better in high-volume hospitals — that is, those that perform higher numbers of these surgeries.

Also, I would be wary of a location that charges a program fee. I have gone to a center of excellence and was not required to pay an extra amount. Remember, don't jump at the first surgeon you find :)

The ASMBS Center of Excellence criteria include the following:

• Hospitals must perform at least 125 bariatric surgeries per year. Surgicenters must perform at least 100 bariatric surgeries per year.
  • Bariatric surgeons at these Centers of Excellence must have performed at least 125 bariatric surgeries during their career and must continue to perform 50 surgeries per year.
  • Centers of Excellence must be staffed by a multidisciplinary bariatric team including surgeons, nurses and other consultants.
  • All centers must pass a rigorous onsite inspection.
  • All centers must report their long-term outcomes to the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database (BOLD). The information gathered in this database is used to analyze the safety and benefits of bariatric surgery.
  • All centers must be re-evaluated with an onsite inspection every three years.

The duodenal switch is a bariatric procedure that combines the sleeve gastrectomy with an even more extreme intestional re-routing than the gastric bypass.

My criteria (not necessarily in order of importance):

1. surgeon accepts my medical insurance

2. surgeon is located as close as possible to my home (because it's a pain to have to travel a long way for frequent fills and other aftercare)

3. surgeon's practice is at least 50% bariatric surgery

4. surgeon has done at least 250 bariatric surgeries

4. surgeon has done at least 125-150 adjustable gastric band procedures

5. surgeon and/or clinic offers complete patient education, aftercare and support program (with dietitian & psychologist available, support groups, nutrition classes, etc.)

Death isn't the only complication from band surgery, just the most serious one.

Personally, I balanced that risk factor with my other co-morbidities - HBP. high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and the quality of life factors - knee problems, etc.