Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Vs. Lap Band

So I visited a sleeve site just for the heck of it. And of course they scared me with all their talk of the lap band failure. Can some of you tell me how long you have successfully had your band? I was completely pro band and still am. I'm sure the people on the sleeve site are there because they are the ones who had major problems. But it would reassure me to know there are some people out there with successful banding after multiple years.

Thanks,

It has been over 5 years and my personal thought is the band works if you don't fight it. The sweet spot is the hardest to find and keep. I am due for a fill. Too much or too little does NOT work well for me. Good luck

I am 4 years post op and have no regrets of getting the band. The above poster is right that it is a little frustrating with the sweet spot search, but once you find it, it's bliss. :) I am at my sweet spot and can eat pretty much anything I want within reason and portion. I was initially only 20lbs away from my goal weight, but due to an ankle fracture and not being able to walk at all for 2.5 months, I gained some weight back. This is all MY fault, not the bands. The band is a tool and if it is not used properly, will not be successful.

I've been banded for 11 months now and couldn't be happier....it really works, however, you have to work with it as well. Once can't think that just because you are banded, you still could eat bad foods and loose weight. You really have to modify your lifestyle and be concious of what you are putting in your mouth. When I eat, I now eat slow and ask myself "am I satified", if the answer is yes, then I stop eating. I eat my calories, not drink them (e.g., rather eat Protein, than have milk shake etc.) Good luck!

Go to the thread / topic section called Lap Band Success on this site. There are several popular, long threads on successes and 100 + losses. It was helpful to keep me on track with my choice. I feared the same about band vs sleeve. But I am happy and I know my body is still not altered. People want to defend the choice they made and bash the other choices.

It'll be 3 years Oct 1. I don't regret my decision at all. Altho I wish I had researched it a little bettr before having it done. I had no clue about "bandster hell" and when I was in it, I thought I had failed yet another diet. I've now lost 104 lbs with about 16 left (was at only 11 to go, but my band slipped, I was unfilled and gained a few back). Even with a few complications, I'm glad I was banded. I'm also glad that I gave away every last piece of #x clothing I had, Good incentive not to gain back my weight. Can't afford yet another new wardrobe!

Good luck!

Marci

I was banded 11/20/07 and it was the best decision I've ever made. It is true that some people have had issues. That is true with all weight loss surgeries.

I lost 90 pounds and I am at goal. I had a Tummy Tuck, lower body lift, breast lift and Lipo 5 weeks ago. I am a different person.

Good luck!

Also check out this website

Weight loss surgery site for info

http://www.trueresul...-loss-surgeries

It will give you a pretty unbiased chart comparing band sleeve and bypass I've only been banded 4 1/2 months so my opinion may not hold weight but so far I love it !! And have list 43 lbs .Choosing weightloss surgery is a hard decision ! Good luck in your journey no matter what you chose.:-)

Ahhh thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next month I wil be banded 7 years. It has been a complete success for me. Everyone is different. I think when you read about some of the band failures there is a lot going on with some of them (not all of them) that is psychologically and bad habit related, etc. Most of them will not admit this. I have read enough of their profiles to come to this conclusion.

Good luck.

I have been banded for 4.5 years. I have had complications that resulted in several additional surgeries. I actually just had my band repositioned last week with a hiatal hernia fix.

I don't "regret" my surgery, but I definitely have a love/hate relationship. I think I thought going into this it would be an easier journey than it has been. It takes a lot of work. A LOT of HEAD work. But once you figure things out, and follow the "rules" it definitely works.

And as my surgeon said today when I broached the topic of long term complications and the longevity of the band... there is always the possibility of complications because you are introducing a medical device. The device may fail. (i.e. I had a port leak). But the complications are less severe than what can occur with other WLS. So you need to decide what risks you are comfortable with. I still am most comfortable with keeping my anatomy intact... and the ability to remove the band should a complication occur that requires it.

Some people do not tolerate the band. It happens. And I feel for them. I have kinda been here... but my issues all were resolved where I could keep it. Nothing is a guarantee.

Good luck with your decision!