Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded In 2 Weeks And Getting A Lot Of Bad Feedback :/

I'm getting banded in 2 weeks my surgery date is July 24, I'm so excited and can't wait, but friends, family and co-workers are not helping, they all say that it doesn't work, or that I'm going to feel so bad afterwards, that I'm going to vomit all the time and that I won't get rid of all the weight. None of them have the band but they'all have friends who are banded and this is why they are "informing me" of all the bad things that could happen. I'm so angry at them, I was so focused and happy about all this process. :(

Sorry to hear that! I have been banded for over a year and its the best thing I have done for myself! No problems at all!! But thats not saying Ithat next week there won't be a problem. I wish you the best on your Journey!

Seems like everybody knows somebody that (fill in the blank) from the band. I didn't know anybody that had been banded, so I chose to research it myself. Yes, you can have complications, and yes, you can eat around the band and not lose weight. But if you follow the band eating rules and take care of yourself, you can reduce the possible complications and you can lose the weight. If you do have a complication, you can have the band removed.

Stop listening to people that know somebody that _____________________. Research this for yourself and have a doctor that you trust to answer any questions you have.

Lucy, go with your gut instinct. There will always be people out there telling you horror stories. I'm in medicine and have worked in a fast pace eye surgeons' office for years. Everytime some new procedure came out that was FDA approved, our docs researched it to the nth degree before deciding on performing on their patients or for that matter their families. The news and magazines would put a negative twist to the procedures and we just bit the bullet and waited for it to die down.

Research your surgeons', nutritionists, etc in the group. Make sure you have a great support system with them. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Listen to what they say. I learned a lot of info on here that the surgeon's practice didn't tell me since there's so much to know and learn. Be patient with the lapband, and yourself. It takes time to understand the workings and everyone's experience can be different. It's a tool that you will always have to work with, it doesn't do the job for you.

My cousin had her lapband done 12 years ago in Atlanta and she still has it and has had no problems what so ever over the years. I wish you well in making the right decision for you. It's the best thing my husband & I did and we wish we did it sooner, like so many other's on here say.

You're doing something good for YOU, anyone who can't be supportive should just shut it.

Easier said than done, I know.

You will prove them all wrong:)

I have not told many people about my surgery, basically my immediate family, 2 co-workers and my 2 best girlfriends.

People can react negatively out of fear for you, it IS surgery after all, they also can react out of envy/jealousy and just good ole ignorance about the band.

Hang in there, and stay around here...this site has offered me a lot of information and much needed support.

Right after I got banded, an office mate of mine was very negative about the whole thing. She talked about how everyone she knew didn't lose weight from it, blah blah blah.

Well, she saw my weight loss over time. Around the time that I lost 100lbs, she decided to get the surgery. This was back in October 2011. She has since lost 80lbs because of it. She said I was her inspiration and that she was ready to do this for herself.

I know several people who didn't lost weight from the band, but I also know they weren't prepared to make the changes in their life that they needed to make to be successful. It's not going to magically lose weight for you. You still have to change habits and behaviors. And if you're incapable of allowing the band to help you, then it won't work.

People are negative and afraid of what they don't know. I've been banded almost 3 years (at the end of this month) and it has been a great experience. Has it always been easy or fun? No. I've sometimes been in pain for hours from food being stuck. I've had a second surgery to replace the tubing that was stabbed with the needle (had wrapped around the port) and was leaking. I've sometimes gained a bit of weight back, then lost it again. But I'm down 113lbs. If I hadn't done this, I probably would have weighed more than I originally had. I've seen friends go from weights in their 200's to weights in their 400's. I didn't want that to be me. I wanted to be healthy, to feel good, to feel attractive, to be able to move around and do everything that the weight always prevented me or stopped me from doing.

I've been skydiving, I can run up the stairs without having to pant, I'm engaged, I fit into size 4 pants. Do I still go out and eat a 20 piece chicken mcnugget in one sitting? God no. Do I still get to enjoy what I want to eat? Of course!

Don't let anyone else bring you down. There are negative people around you always. But as long as you remain positive, you will succeed. And show those people how wrong they were! And who knows, maybe it'll help someone else make that decision to change THEIR life, as well.

All I can say is misery loves company. You see this all the time. Although your friends and family want whats best for you...change is a scary thing to many people. I was told the same thing...by my family. But now that I am a few months out and down over 30 pounds those same people are my biggest cheerleaders. I have never thrown up, never been "stuck" and haven't had any bad side affects. I think that I am the rule rather than the exception. Hearing more complaints rather than positives is kind of the way it works....unfortunately for most products, procedures...etc. Most people that have a good experience usually aren't as vocal compared to those who have had a bad experience. Ultimately this is your decision and I wouldn't let comments of a "friend of a friend" did this and....blah blah blah curb your decision...ask people who have had the procedure directly.

I thought it interesting that a lady at work, who looks awesome by the way, came up to me about a month ago and said that she had the surgery as well. She loves it and said that it changed her life.

I know several people who didn't lost weight from the band, but I also know they weren't prepared to make the changes in their life that they needed to make to be successful. It's not going to magically lose weight for you. You still have to change habits and behaviors. And if you're incapable of allowing the band to help you, then it won't work.

^^ THIS!!^^

I couldn't agree more, very well said and so true!!!

Thank you all for your support!!! I'm getting the band there is no doubt about it, I already pay for it lol, and I'm going to stay positive and stay around, I hope I could be sharing before/after photos with you all next year :lol:

I just got banded and when I told ppl about my decision most of them had negative comments of course! I have 3 closed friends that have the band 2 of them lost over 80 pounds each the other not so much why? Because she wasn't ready to give food up, she will eat get up go to the bathroom throw up and eat some more, bad food choices and hasn't gotten a fill in over 6 month! Is all about discipline!!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

getting the band was a personal decision that i made with my husband, my sister also knows and is very supportive because she has seen me struggle with my weight my whole life. I am very selective with the people i share my decision with because so many people look at it as anegative thing and think its an easy fix, but its not, i do struggle with food at times but i have had to learn over the past 2 years what i can and can not eat. Yes it is discouraging for my husbnad at times but he knows that i am happier and healthier than i have ever been and to be honest with you getting the lapband saved my marriage....all i can say is good luck, follow your surgeons advice and listen to your body

Normally people who are so negative know very little about the band or what they do know is based on media hype and horror stories. Did they give u any negative feedback about remaining obese and what that can do for your health ? .. this isnt cosmetic surgery it is a medical proceedure that if u didnt need it u wouldnt get it. There are far more success stories on here than failures and mostly its up to u how successful u are .. yes like any surgery complications can happen but the risks with this operation are really not worth even thinking of comparing them to the risks from obesity related complications, you are doing this for you .. to be honest its nothing to do with them .. just tell them u are asking for support not an opinion, opinions on medical matters u leave to the doctors not friends and family :)

don't listen to people who probably don't know what they're talking about. It's normal to have doubts, and think it wont be successsful,, but if you eat right, do what the doc says, exercise you WILL lose weight.

Sombody always has something to say. Most of the folks in my life were supportive but for those that were negative, I said things like:

"I understand this is not a magic pill but only a tool"

"I have done all of my research and this is the best choice for me and my situation."

"I am ready to make a change"

And for those who asked me if I was scared, I said. "Yes, but I am more afraid NOT to be banded."

I wish you well on this journey we are all traveling together.

My one year aniversary is July 25! I love my band, I am also down around 70 pounds! LOVE my band