Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Why Did You Get Banded

Why did you get the band?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. So what drove you to get banded? Was it......

• Improve your appearance
    • Improve your health
    • Both 1 and 2
    • Other, please explain

Tell us why you got banded people. Explain your reasons if you care to. Was it to improve your looks? A specific health issue? General well being. I think it will be interesting!

I got banded to get my diabetes under control and to improve my overall health. I was tired of being tired! I gave up on my looks a long time ago. (see avatar)

I got banded because my whole family is obese. My father died at 36 years old because of complications from his obesity and I was only 10 years old at the time. I currently have children and didn't want to leave them with no mother. I want to get healthier and be there for my family.

Because I was wearing a tight 46 pants and I couln't bend over to tie my shoes without holding my breath!

My number one issue was to get off blood pressure meds! I had trouble tolerating the meds and had different side effects with everything they tried me on. Also, I was having a lot of back and hip pain.

I'm happy now to state that even though I'm only halfway to my goal weight, I'm off the BP meds and have no hip pain and very little back pain! Just wish I'd been banded sooner!!

My answer is not really other but more of all of the above. Health, appearance, health...

My Wife and I are trying to get pregnant and not only do I want to be around for her and hopefully our child but I want to be able to participate in all activities that come with not just being a Father but being a Dad.

I have been over weight off and on all my life and when I started this journey I was at my highest weight ever. Males on my fathers side do not have a long lives. My Father is now the oldest and has out lived some of his Brothers and Sisters. My Father is one of 12 in his family. Uncles and Aunts have passed in their late 60's. My Father is currently 72 and is the oldest. He is currently in his 4th battle with Cancer having beaten lung, prostate, bladder cancer. Now they found a tumor in his throat and he is seeking treatment. He also had a heart attack and triple bypass in 2004. Both my Mother and Father are diabetics although my fathers is controlled by diet since having the heart attack. My mother has COPD and is on O2 24x7 and she is only 72.

I am only 44 years old and the thought of only possibly having another 30 years on this earth is frightening to me.

I was afraid of what would happen if I didn't get banded. At 43 years old I managed to avoid a lot of health conditions that run rampant in my family. My eating and weight gain was out of control and it was starting to affect my quality of life. My mobility was at stake and I was afraid of what my life would be like at 50.

I did it for my kids. I wanted to be able to run around and play with then without getting exhausted. I also wanna be around to see them get married, have kids, etc.

I def won't mind looking better though! ;-)

I did it because I was tired of feeling like complete crap and looking even worse.

I did it because I want to live long enough for my kids to grow up and someday spoil my grandkids rotten.

I did it because I have Multiple Sclerosis, and having MS is bad enough I sure as heck don't need a whole host of obesity related health issues on top of it. I can't cure the MS, but I can cure being obese.

I got banded because I stand for a living and my ankles would swell by the end if the day from the excess weight. I got banded to be around for my kids as long as I can. I git banded to be healthy!

Breast Cancer did it for me. I already had high BP and cholestrol but that wasn't motivating enough. Looking in the mirror was hard. I was bald had lopsided boobs and a hugh body. Not to mention If I was any heavier I probably woudn't have been able to take care of myself (hygeine etc).

PCOS at 28!

I have had this lifetime hate for the fatgirl in the mirror and it was time to shut her up!! I am stubborn enough that I will WIN (I always get my way)!!!

I mostly got banded for my kids. I was at 346 lbs and couldn't keep up with them at all. There is all kinds of diseases that run in my family including heart attack and stroke and I couldn't imagine leaving my kids this soon. I was almost 100% sure that I wouldn't make it past my 30's and that scared me. I've lost 36 lbs so far and I can't believe how much better I feel physically and mentally so I can't wait to see how 100 more lbs lost will feel like.

I got banded for many reasons but some of the big ones are: being able to have the children I want, avoiding future health issues (I'm lucky right now because I am very healthy for my weight and don't really have any of the health problems that are related to obesity), more energy to be able to make it through school while working and doing practicums at the same time. I want to wear pretty clothes that I don't have to pay tons of money for. And when I get married some day I want to be carried across a threshold without killing my husband.

I want to be able to walk without my thighs rubbing together.

I want to fit, COMFORTABLY, in an airline seat.

I want to go on the carnival rides with my neices and nephews.

I don't want to stand in the back of everyone to hide my body when taking pictures.

I want to ride my bike without thinking "Everyone is making fun of the fat chick on the bike".

I don't want to have diabetes.

I don't want to develop heart problems.

I want to have sex with my husband and not feel self concious.

Is that enough? I can do more....