Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Why Did You Get Banded

Why did you get the band?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. So what drove you to get banded? Was it......

• Improve your appearance
    • Improve your health
    • Both 1 and 2
    • Other, please explain

I'm with you on the airplane seat, bornready. I was sick of being scared every time I flew that someone would demand is buy two seats. I was also sick of asking for a belt extender and not feeling comfortable with the tray table down.

Overall I would say my reason is just that I was tired of not being able to do what I wanted to do, either from being too out of shape or from just being too physically big to fit.

I got banded because I didn't want to be unhealthy, I was tired of being tired all the time, I struggled in restaurant booths, I wanted to see my downstairs while bathing in my tub if you know what I mean, I want my kids to see me grow older while being healthy, I didn't like the way I felt or looked, I wanted to get in amusement rides, I wanted to shop at regular popular clothing stores, I wanted to tie my shoes without having breathing problems, I wanted to get off of bronchial/asthma medication, I wanted to love exercising again, I wanted people to not stare at my "fat" arsss, I wanted to feel sexy and alive again... Gee I could go on. I have accomplished all of these. I'm proud to love myself again and live.

weight.png

My reasons were both health and physical appearance. I started gaining weight when I was 16 and was the only person in my family that was overweight. Now, I have plenty of overweight relatives, but no one else in my immediate family.

I kind of gave up on life. Or I was living my life on pause. I didn't do the things I wanted to do because I felt I couldn't, actually couldn't, or didn't want to be seen or noticed.

I remember going to the Grand Canyon in my late teens. By then I had already gained considerable weight. And struggling to lose weight knowing that we'd be walking a lot. Or even on a trip to Europe in my 20's. Slowing my parents down because my legs hurt so bad carrying all the weight I had on me. Taking rests. I always wanted to sky dive, but was too fat for it. I was starting to get too large for airplane seats and always feared the next time I got on a plane would be the time where I was just too big to fit in one seat. I never took the stairs because I'd get out of breath. And taking the elevator was almost as embarrassing.... knowing people saw it and you know they'd think that I should take the stairs, that I was lazy. Had I been alone, I probably would have. But I didn't want anyone to see me out of breath from a simple flight of stairs.

That all feels like so long ago now. I've been sky diving, I take the stairs everyday, and I spent days walking miles and miles through New York and Amsterdam without a single problem. I can sit in airplane seats with plenty of room to spare and plenty of seatbelt slack. I'm no longer borderline diabetic and I no longer have borderline high cholesterol. My PCOS symptoms have disappeared or decreased.

The biggest thing throughout it all and what still sometimes hits me in a "Wow" kind of way is that I'm no longer the fat chick. You know when you're fat and eating something unhealthy, people think "She shouldn't be eating that" whereas you know they're not thinking that about a thin chick eating the same thing? Or when you're eating and driving.... and you wait until no one can see you to take a bite.... because you know that people probably would look at you in disgust? Because for some reason, there's nothing worse than a fat person being seen eating, right? It's hard for me to get past that, though. To stop being seen as the fat chick... even though I'm no longer even overweight.

I was basically a diabetic, though was just keeping my A1C levels down under the diabetic threshold with diet and exercise...then came the near fatal car accident, multiple fractures and the months of intense physical therapy which seriously restricted the amount of exercise I could do like I had before.

I had other comorbidities which I coped with, but could never wrap my mind around being a compliant diabetic. I was facing the diabetes related complications...so the decision to have the band became a no brainer for me.

No regrets! My A1C levels have returned to normal...

My reason for getting banded was ...my husband and I adopted 5 children the last one being severly handicapped and with me being 257 lbs at 5"1" ...I was worryed who would take care of all the kids if Im not around to....and I felt we adopted the children to give them a better life....I couldnt do it the way i was......now.....lifes so good !

I decided to get lap band because for my whole life I fought with weight issues.... Biggest issue was eating for emotional reasons.... If I was happy, I ate. If I was sad, I ate... And of course not healthy food! Not only did I want to be healthier, I also wanted to look better and have more confidence...

I looked in the mirror one day and couldn't believe what I was looking at.... A lost woman in a sea of fat.... I had to do something about it... Not knowing how my family would react to going through the process, I started going through it all alone... Finally decided I wouldn't be successful without the support of my family and fiance... So thankful for their support!

I spent 10 years of my life dancing and stooped when I was a teenager... After 15 years I decided I wanted to go back, but didn't feel comfortable enough to do it at my weight. When I finally committed myself to the Lap band journey, I went back to dancing... Definitely a huge motivator for me!!

now 2 months after surgery I feel so much more confident and starting to feel more comfortable in my skin!

Simple. I love my wife.

We got married in 2006. Since she is retired, and I am semi-retired (I know, 52 is young for semi-retirement... and I am extremely thankful that I have the chance), we enjoy being able to travel.

In 2007, we went to Hawaii. After the trip, my wife let me know that while she loves me and wants us to spend our lives together, she would rather travel alone than sit next to my 400+ pounds on an airplane. That was when I decided I needed to do something.

So now, I am hovering in the 250 range, and thinking about pulling off a few more (I've been in this area for 3 years now), and glad to travel with her, and look forward to many more years together.

I want to have a child! This increases the chances greatly! Health reasons as well! Haven't had any and didn't want to start! My husband and I have been try for over five years without success! Hopefully this will work!