Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein/low Fat Foods...

Some Greek yogurts are better than others I'm finding. Aldis has a Greek yogurt, pineapple flavored. It's my favorite. Maybe Greek yogurt is an acquired taste?

Chobani pineapple is my favourite! I haven't seen Aldis anywhere.

Just keep in mind that the flavoured ones generally have a lot more sugar. You can get plain and mix it with fresh fruit for taste.

Lowfat string cheese is a handy Protein snack; soy nuts are my favourite though -- crunchy! :)

I wish I could stand cottage cheese. I'll have to try hiding it in things to see if that helps. ;)

Salmon fresh or in the Water pack.. I mix the package with cottage cheese and some fat free Ranch dressing.

I am lucky; I can eat small amounts of chops and steak. I love Greek yogurt too much. I have a problem with cheese so don't eat much of that. When in doubt Muscle Milk shake. Make sure you get enough daily protein...I have for the start...have not lost any hair, nails are still good, and I do think I have found a muscle or too as the fat has gone.

I really wish I could bring myself to try tuna.. I don't like any type of fish.. I just can't get past the smell :( maybe one day...

Banded 7/5/2012 :)

Love Greek yogurt! Fage and Chobani are my choices.

I also discovered scallops, broiled and very delicious, high in Protein. Haddock is also a great , protein packed, low fat, soft, white fish. Delicious broiled.

I also like boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a quick protein fix. Grilled or baked, delicious. For me, better tolerated than chicken breasts.

Lean ground turkey - 4 oz. = 22 grams of protein/ 8 grams of fat =160 calories

tuna fish (white in water) 6 oz. (whole can) = 26 grams of protein/ 2 grams of fat = 120 calories

Tilapia Fillets Fish - 4 oz. (1 fish) = 20 grams of protein/ 2.5 grams of fat = 100 Calories

chicken Breast (grilled, skinless) - 4 oz. = 27 grams of protein/ 1 gram of fat = 130 calories

** These are all the items I found in my freezer/pantry that I eat **

If you try salmon make sure you buy only" fresh caught not" farmed" salmon. Farmed salmon is salmon that is raised in fish pens where the fish all swim around in the dirty Water and absorb all their own body waste through their gills. It can taste "dirty." Fresh caught is just that, and taste 100 % better. We just barbq or broil ours with a mix on it of low fat mayo, a little brown sugar and a dash or two of no salt seasoning. Yum ! Also try for Protein ideas- turkey Jerky, raw nuts, hard boiled eggs, Bruce Aidells teriyaki chicken meatballs, or low fat Peanut Butter. Good luck !

To pink delhia. I have had farmed salmon and wild caught ( god who has the 20 dollars and up a pound for that and get it once a year?) have been cooking with the farmed for years, and can't taste dirtiness. If you buy your food from a respectable market with high standards you shouldn't have a problem with so called "dirty " tasting fish. The real culprit with "fishy" tasting salmon is on how long you cook it, or should I say to what internal temperature. All fish should be cooked to a final temperature of a 145 degrees for maximum taste and the best texture. A little hint for rookie salmon cookers: if it has skin ( you do get more Omega 3s from the fat layer between the fish and skin, but a lot of people can get it from pills too) start the fish skin side down in the pan and then flip when you see the color start to turn half way up the fish ( if you have a thick piece you might have to finish it in the oven)

Start with a hot pan, add oil if using ( your oil will shimmer when hot)

Make sure your fish is blotted dry and seasoned if you want

If your fish doesn't have skin place "presentation " side down first ( this is the side that doesn't that've the dark gray on it from the skin)

Give the pan a little shake when putting it in so it will have less chance of sticking

Brown ( remember you are the master of your pan, if it is cooking too fast take it off the fire, if needs be take it out of the pan until it cools down enough) the first side is most important for browning, this "crust" will give you excellent flavor.

Flip gently and brown other side

This is where a lot of people kinda ask a lot of questions ( like my husband) "well how do I know it is done?". Stick a digital thermometer ( get one, it will make your life in the kitchen much more simple) into the thickest part of the meat. I pick it up with a pair of tongs And put it straight into the side half way through the meat. When it reads 135-140 degrees it can be taken out of the pan and let it rest for 2-3 minutes and it will pop up naturally to 145 degrees from what is known as carry over cooking.

Bake, pansear, broil, steam: it doesn't matter the flavor will be good if it is a good quality piece of fish and not over cooked.

Try it grilled on a cedar plank on the grill with a little Dijon mixed with orange marmalade. ( I do the brown sugar on it like someone else mentioned before. But a toe of advice look up the technique of using the planks before using them)

Getting fancy? Wrap it up in parchment paper (like a little envelope) with white wine, lemon slices, capers and dill ( the technique is called "en papillote" literally means in paper. Sounds fancy but actually really simple.

Sorry if I got a little long winded but I am extremely passionate about cooking and can give a few pointers on the how's to the people not in the know. It is my job to know a lot of this stuff and to learn how to teach it to others. Lol kinda funny a professional chef trying to learn to eat to live when I work in an industry born from the pleasures of living to eat. At least I learned how Healthier cooking along side unhealthy in culinary school.

When you use parchment, how do you know when the fish is done?

Pandabear - thanks for the great cooking tips. Keep them coming!:-)

To indyhandmade go to finecooking.com for a video. You can use foil and temp and reseal if not done. Get a feel on how long your fish takes before trying this technique because it really depends on the thickness of your meat. I also forgot the poaching technique which is a classic for salmon. It infuses flavor and keeps moist.

I'm a big fan of low fat cottage cheese. Greek Yogurt is also an excellent choice.

tuna is also a good one. I mix it with a wedge of Babybel light cheese instead of mayo.< /p>

chicken breasts, pork chops (just don't cook them in a super fatty sauce or breading)

In the morning I usually have a couple services of low fat cottage cheese with a little bit of sea salt in it.

I like salmon too! Seems to be really popular! Bake it in tin foil with pesto on top of it! YUM! my son loves it too! tuna is a life saver too. Greek yogurt is good, cottage cheese is yummy, working with the Babybel cheeses too

Parmesan Tilapia is good, ingredients fixed to be lowfat though. very good

now I'm hungry :(