Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Supper B4 Pre-Op Diet?

Know it's bad mentally and unhealthy physically, but I don't start my pre-op diet until 1st of august (surgery booked 13th, god willing) and have found myself indulging in things I wouldn't normally, simply because after I get the band, I won't be able to. Eg: big, doughy, fresh-out-of-the-oven bread rolls with vegemite and cheese, and huge chunky steaks cooked medium rare.

I hardly ever used to crave these things, until my days of having them as an option became limited.

Did anybody else go through this "last meal" phase? I'm scared that if I eat it too much now, I'll go through a period of mourning when it's off the menu after the band.

Any advice?

are steaks completely off the menu after band? i eat mine rare (cold in the middle) so they break down easily.

Really??? My dr said they are one of the things most likely to get stuck, but if it means I can still eat steak, I'll wipe it's bum and walk it in if I have to. (jumps up and down) Woohoo.

I have done pretty well on my insurance required 6 month diet but my pre op diet starts July 18th and I have decided I want fish and chips :D

yes, i had one last harrah the day before i started my liquid diet stuff. i ate burger king whopper w/cheese. it was delish. i dont regret it. glad i did it. hang in there. per the vets on here, we can eat what we want, once we are healed up, but in smaller amounts.

I read that it can be handy to carry a cocktail fork, and eat with that. Maybe in the beginning it wouldn't be such a bad idea. A physical reminder, instead of reflex.

yes, i had one last harrah the day before i started my liquid diet stuff. i ate burger king whopper w/cheese. it was delish. i dont regret it. glad i did it. hang in there. per the vets on here, we can eat what we want, once we are healed up, but in smaller amounts.

def a mental thing.

just keep in mind all you are doing (prior to surgery)

too much drama to just screw it up.

eat good. but eat good healthy choices. its not a starvation thing.

you are not (banned from eating food). you just make better choices. the band will help us eat (less).

the rest is up to us.

do what works for YOU.

Well i can eat steak but u have to cut it wafer thin, like all Protein, it goes down then also u can carry on eating your vegemite i still eat my marmite.. cos i am british ofc lol but i still eat it daily its a great source of vit B12 as u know ..

The longer u are banded the more u can adapt what u food u like to band friendly.

the cravings u might have for your pre surgery food will still be there whether u eat them before hand or not so saying good bye isnt such a bad thing, but sometimes its not good bye forever :)

after yesterday, I think that was my last hooooray, LOLOLOL

For the band to work, you have to be in the right place mentally. If you are already mourning the loss of certain foods, that's not going to get better just because you have a band. Be very careful. I'd love for my daughter to have lapband surgery, but I wouldn't recommend it for her because of where her head is in relation to food -- it just wouldn't work for her.

You have to be in a place mentally where you are able to make good choices and able to walk away from things you not only can't eat, but shouldn't eat.

Some banded people can still eat anything they want. Since I've hit the "green zone" I have lots of things I have to avoid. Filet mignon is the only steak I've had and I wouldn't cook it any more than medium and only take tiny bites and chew extremely well.

We went to Double Dave's pizza yesterday. It was my last hurrah. I started my high Protein diet this morning.

I think that having a surgery date more than a month away is what's killing me. It's the anticipation of the pre-op liquid diet, then the liquids only for 2 more weeks, then myshies, then being careful and retraining your mind to eat slowly and carefully. I'm so excited to start the journey and I think that I'd be ready to start it all tomorrow, but what's the point of being liquid only for 6 weeks, I'm just going to be way sick of it by the time I have my surgery.

I'm addicted to food, I know this, so no matter what I eat now, there will be some type of "loss" experience when I go to liquids. I just don't want to make it harder for myself by eating wrong so close to surgery. Totally a mental thing.

Love the comments so far. Fish and chips and pizza sound like great "last meals", not that we're condemned, lol, but you know what I mean.

Know it's bad mentally and unhealthy physically, but I don't start my pre-op diet until 1st of august (surgery booked 13th, god willing) and have found myself indulging in things I wouldn't normally, simply because after I get the band, I won't be able to. Eg: big, doughy, fresh-out-of-the-oven bread rolls with vegemite and cheese, and huge chunky steaks cooked medium rare.

I hardly ever used to crave these things, until my days of having them as an option became limited.

Did anybody else go through this "last meal" phase? I'm scared that if I eat it too much now, I'll go through a period of mourning when it's off the menu after the band.

Any advice?

yes, i totally did this...it's not a good idea, but i'm being honest that yes, i went thru the same thing. i felt like it was my "last hurrah" for the month before suregry. well, i am 5 weeks post op and doing well. it's definitely a mental thing and something i talk about with my therapist. I just wanted you to know you're not alone! :)

Any advice?

This was me...

I had about 200 last meals!! I went on a world-class OUT OF CONTROL binge for about 2 weeks until the liquid diet and gained 7 pounds! I was freaking out that I'd never be able to eat again.

That said, the second I started the liquid diet I was fine. It was all about the anticipation, and not the reality. The reality is that you can do it and it's not a big deal.

The weekend before my preop diet began, I drank every beer in sight and ate everything battered and fried I could get my hands on (which was conveniently at the same bar!). Been on the Protein Shakes ever since and it hasn't been so bad. I'm glad I was able to have that epic weekend before the real work begins. :)