Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What About Wine?

Though not an alcoholic, wine is my downfall. I drink too much in the evenings... And then I get hungry. (Something about white wine, though dry, that sparks my sugar/hunger levels....) Then, because my inhibitions are lowered, I eat things I should not. I know banding is a tool that can help control appetite and aid weight loss..... How will I handle giving up the wine??

Just do it.

Accept and practice the affirmation that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

From what you have written in your post, it would seem that wine is the trigger for the eating behaviors which have caused your weight gain. And, not to seem harsh, but from the perspective of an addictions counselor, if you are drinking enough wine to "lower your inhibitions", and thereby cloud your judgement, you are drinking way too much wine. Wine is empty calories...which obese people need to avoid.

You are misinformed if you believe that initially the band will assist with controlling one's appetite. Just ask any bandster who is or has experienced "bandster hell", which really means just about everyone who is active on this forum. It is a tool to assist with Portion Control. But the journey with your band has a long way to go before you get some restriction in the band and get to the "green zone".

Having a band, to be successful with achieving weight loss, you will have to change your relationship with food. You will have to change the things which are allowed on your diet, most likely for life. The foods which contributed you your weight gain will need to be restricted to the smallest of portions, or in some cases, given up entirely. These behavioral modifications are difficult under the best of circumstances...but have to happen to be successful.

I seems to me that it would be helpful for you to do some additional research into the band, how it works, and the diet you need to agree to adhere to for life if you want to have a lasting success with it.

Best wishes...

You could always not buy any wine , if its not in the home u cant drink it :)

From what my doc has said I don't have to give up wine but I could only have one glass at night

I love wine. I have a few glasses a few times a week. There have been times when I decided to eat something, usually cheese. But, I always regret it. So, I've become better about it all. I eat before (30 min) I have a glass of wine. I have found I do have the will-power to stay out of the kitchen. I've been pretty dedicated about the don't eat when you drink and visa versa.

I have given up diet coke, beef, (any dense meat), biscuits, and most bread. I walk away from cake and doughnuts at the office. But, I do indulge in a few glasses of wine (Merlot-which is on the Sugar Busters Diet) and an occasional piece of chocolate. mmmmmmmmm

to be honest I always use to eat with my wine BEFORE surgery, Snacks were a given!! But now after surgery it is diffrent if I have a glass of wine, I choose the wine and the company..if you still feel it hard, then maybe try a new beverage...but i really have not noticed that I crave or have to eat..