Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moving to Malawi - long

Okay, here's the story I have been promising.

On Feb 24, I boarded the big plane(s) and flew to Minneapolis, Amsterdan, Nairobi, and finally to Lilongwe, Malawi (40 hours later - landed Sunday afternoon).

Monday I met with people from USAID, Malawi Accountant General and staff. Tuesday I met with the Secretary of the Treasury and Budget Director. Wednesday I met with South African and British representatives that are working there too. Thursday was the Auditor General, Speaker of the Parliment, and the US Ambassador to Malawi. Of course, in between I had to meet with security personnel, scope out my house, try and find out about a car, etc.

I am waiting for a contract from the US Treasury to be a consultant to the Malawi Minister of Finance. I will work with the budget division but will be available to asist in the other divisions (auditor general, internal audit, accountant general, information technology, etc). I returned home Sunday, March 5.

Since I returned home, my house sale is pending, my furniture is gone, my car is sold, etc. Everything is in a whirlwind. The movers at moving my stuff March 27, house sale finalizes March 28, April 2 I fly to DC, April 7 I fly to Lilongwe, and April 10 I start work.

I'm excited, terrified, thrilled, scared, etc. In addition, I caught a bug last week. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with life, security, etc and my band.

Right now it is hot and rainy season in Malawi. The pictures are too big to load here so I will try and get them in later. The pictures show beautiful green foliage. When I get there, winter will be starting - cool and dry. Cool as in 70 degree days and 40 degree nights.

My computer is dying on me so I"m off to buy a new laptop today so I figured I better get these in before the pc funeral.

For those looking for Malawi on the globe, it is a little country to the west of Mozambique - there is a big lake between Mozambique and Malawi. It was a British colony so they speak english and drive on the left side. There are less than 30 American families in the capital city. The country has been experiencing droughts and famines so until the next crop is harvested in May, breakins and thefts are rising. I have 24 security on my property (2 acres yard). Hoping to get dogs asap. I have attached a picture of my dining and living rooms.

More later.

post-204567-13813132980479_thumb.jpg

post-204567-13813132983352_thumb.jpg

That sounds very exciting for you. I would love to be able to pack up and move half way around the globe, but my husband is just not that open minded. Make sure you are safe there, the bars on the windows and doors look a bit intimidating but I am sure they are just extra security measures. Is the house yours or is it part of the salary? Be extra nice to your security and life will be much easier for you, and get those dogs, the sooner the better. You have a once in a lifetime opportunity, I hope you cherish every moment of it, these are days you will never forget. ~Mandy

What an awesome opportunity. You must be very proud, excited and nervous. Moving from North Dakota to Africa is a tremendous life diversion! I'm excited for you! Think of all the new adventures before you, the new friends and job challenges. This is the kind of stuff that keeps ya young! Your new place looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

How did you find out about this job anyway? Were you looking for an opportunity to move to Africa or was this something out of left field that came up unexpectedly?

WOW!!!! That's all extremly exciting...Best of luck, stay safe. and keep us updated!!!!...............Cindy

What an awesome adventure you are going to have. I bet it will be just wonderful. To experience new cultures and see how other countries live is something I would love to do. I want pictures!!! I know you will do a great job! God Bless you as you write a new chapter to your book of life!!

Oh my lord, girl, what a life you are living!! That sounds incredible and will be absolutely life-changing. You're amazingly courageous! God. It's so cool that there are people who can do stuff like this so people like me can read about it and wish. In my next life I'm going to do what I threatened to do as a teenager and join the Peace Corps.

Those pics are cool. The bars on the windows and doors remind me of my garden apartment in Queens, NY. :)

photo's are great, maybe you could keep us updated sort of like a diary and we'll know the life style there and that your ok good luck road queen

Reading you story and looking at your pics, I have only one question:

do you have A/C?

If so, Im packing my bags - tell me where to meet you.

(Honestly, this seems like an amazing job and location to be in. Best wishes to you.)

I've been waiting for this thread, and if I didn't do a search for Africa it would have gotten past me.

Celest, I'm so proud of you and thrilled for you all at once. You're living my dream... well, part of it! All that government finance talk scares me, but to live and work in Africa is beyond my wildest dream.

How are you feeling? What kind of bug did you get? Check in often, please. And don't forget to buy me presents! Actually, you don't have to buy them, but when you see cute African matchbooks, rocks, shells, please think of me, and if I don't respond to your threads it's because I don't see them, so please PM me.

More pics, please. I'm amazed!

Oh Celest, I don't know how I missed this either. Well, I do, but I've been really cranky lately :)

I too am so proud of you! And I want pix too!

So, do you have a guest room too for all us adventurous LBT folks? I don't care if it will mess with my security clearance, I wanna go too!

I don't know how to show more than one picture per thread so I'm going to do a whole bunch of pics in multiple replies.

Okay, I'm going to try again...here's a few photos I took last month.

1st picture - a call center in the country (come to the central location to make cell phone calls)

2nd picture some mushrooms for sale along the road

3rd picture living room in my house

4th picture - modern gas station with convenience store.

post-204567-13813133068355_thumb.jpg

post-204567-13813133071683_thumb.jpg

post-204567-13813133074657_thumb.jpg

post-204567-13813133077543_thumb.jpg

What a wonderful adventure. I hope all is well and the adjustment has gone smoothly. Please keep us posted. We homebodies can live vicariously through you!