Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this what restriction is all about?

Need some advice from those who know what restriction is...

I thought I had restriction with my first fill...my second fill I didn't notice a change except I felt looser than with the first...the third...holy cow...so this is what restriction is huh?

Here's my scenario. Had my third fill on Monday to 3.0cc's...water went down ok...on the way home had some coffee...that went down ok...could feel both of them sitting before it dropped...

Yesterday I had a 6oz yogurt, a little bit (probably about 5 spoonfuls) of french onion Soup, and for dinner on my way home from grad school decided to pick up some nachos from Taco Bell (yes I know not good for me but after a 15 hour day I was too tired to cook). I'm amazed...last week same scenario ate the entire platter of nachos...last night 5 chips and I was ready to PB...

Today I had about 4 oz of cottage cheese for breakfeast...about 5 bites of chicken noodle Soup and could not eat any more...haven't tried dinner yet...

Does this sound right to you all?

I don't feel like I'm too tight but I'm concerned about getting the right nutrition because I literally can only eat a few bites...

IS THIS WHAT RESTRICTION IS?

Hi Jennye -

Yup... That's restriction! The trick is to be tight enough that you're not hungry between meals and losing weight, but not so tight that you can't eat a "decent" amount of food.

You will find that your restriction will vary - every once in a while it will be like, "OMG!! Where's my restriction?!?! Why am I starving and able to eat a whole plate of food? !?!" and then the next day you'll be struggling with yoghurt for Breakfast. :P

This is one of the reasons why the "oldtimers" say the less you're able to eat, the MORE important it is WHAT you eat. As you so rightly point out, 5 nacho chips aren't going to give you your daily nutritional requirements. :rolleyes:

When you are tight enough that you really can't eat enough calories to keep your metabolism from stalling, you can start breaking the "rules" - add in Protein shakes, drink (carefully) with your meals so you can get more food in, drink sooner after meals so you can have another small meal sooner. Also drink warm/hot liquids just prior to eating to help relax things down there.

The key to remember is, don't let these "tight" tricks become bad habits, because at some point the restriction will probably ease up, and then you will have to go back to practicing the "rules" to maximize your weightloss, or maintain.

Your other option, of course, is to have a little taken out... Yeah, I know, over your dead body. :)

Congrats on your good fill! Work it, baby!

Donali You hit it right on the head. (ps Happy Birthday)

Jennye Do be carefull if you drink/sip with your meals. That has caused me more trouble of tring to keep food down. Having a cup of tea right before meals helps me alot. Lately with me its 3-5 bites of food, rest(a few small burps not BPs) then a few more bites. Overall I stop eating in 15 minutes. I DO feel the food going down, before my last fill I didn't have that feeling.

You are restricted!

I'm having the same reaction and questions about the fill. I had my 4th fill a week ago and I seem to be really tight. A few bites and that's it. That's totally different than what it was up until now. And then again, there are times, especially at night, when I can eat much more (still waaaaaay less than before though). I have tried some of the tricks you mentioned. I do find that eating some Soup helps open things up so I can eat a little more.

Glad to see someone else going through the same things as I am.

Mary

hi everyone! J. congrats on your WL. you look MAHVELOUS! Congrats on the fill. It sounds like a kicker.

I don't know if this question is on point, but here goes, I had my first fill 4.5 weeks ago. I am at 2.6. Up until this week, I PB'd a lot. but it wasn't consistent and it still is not. For example, on 2/7 I was invited to a special dinner and ate 3 small rack of lamb pieces (5-6 oz I am quessing). I also had like 4 small stonewheat crackers with a little cream cheese and a little smoked salmon on top (another 2-3oz?) and about 3 oz of greens. Of course I had like 2 glasses of chardonnay with it. (I know, i know). It went down like butter, no problems.

But then a week later, on the 14th, I ate like 2 bites of bread with jam the AM and bye by birdie. It all came back . So I know bread is absolutely out now. Would you all think this is too loose, or I should stick with it and not go tighter just yet? I am itching to go to 3 cc b/c my losing is rather slow.

ps. happy birthday donali!

Glitz -

I think you had problems with the bread and jam more because it was in the AM than because "bread is now out" - but maybe your thinking that bread is now out is not such a bad thing... lol :rolleyes:

If your wine night was the exception and not the rule (as far as quantity/quality goes), I think you are probably at a good level right now in regards to restriction. If you're losing slower than you'd like, it may be time to look at what you're eating/drinking, and try making some adjustments there. If there aren't any "logical" adjustments to be made, consider your exercise and think about any logical adjustments you could make there.

Yes, you could go tighter, but you're already having problems some mornings with restriction, so I'd recommend trying to work this fill a little better.

JMHO.

p.s. - Thanks everyone for the bday wishes! :P

i dont know what is wrong with me!!!! i have 4.1 cc and STILL the band doesnt stop me from eating EVER!!! the most i get is golf ball pressure from feeling the food pass through the band.

my dr says it is working correctly but i just dont think so.

happy birthday as well!

Thanks for all your replies and Happy Birthday Donali!

So this is restriction huh?

I went out to dinner with my girlfriend at Chili's last night and got the triple play...boneless chicken wings, chicken tenders, and southwest egg rolls...

Talk about reality slapping you in the face...I could eat the whole damn thing pre band...I had a bite of chicken wing, half of a chicken tender and half of an egg roll down...that was a struggle...LOL...I let my friend take home the rest of the left overs...

Right now I'm not hungry at all...I'm just working on trying to get my liquids in and think I may add a protien shake for a meal...honestly I've never thought so hard about how I can get calories in...it was just um...natural you could say! I've been really focusing on cottage cheese, yogurt, and soft meat...I'm all about nutrition but it is a little bit of a struggle right now with how tight I am...I'm sure it will loosen up a bit so I'm not too concerned...my problem is getting my Water...I feel like I have to sip 24X7...and I don't use sip loosely...before I was able to take a big drink...now a little one seems slow going through...I figure as long as I'm not hungry and feeling weak I'll be OK for a while...I'm definately at if not a little bit past my sweet spot...and...this is the best part...I was worried I would get filled up and never have restriction!

Jennye, you lucky duck! Donali, thanks so much for the (always) wise words. I think in my 'gut' I felt what you expressed but my mind wanted the easy way out. I am going to try and work the band as is for another month and then try and go a little tighter. and BTW, the wine night was an exception. Most nights I couldn't dream of eating 1/2 that, thank God! what freedom and joy.

ciao for now guys!

Originally posted by shellyj

i dont know what is wrong with me!!!! i have 4.1 cc and STILL the band doesnt stop me from eating EVER!!! the most i get is golf ball pressure from feeling the food pass through the band.

my dr says it is working correctly but i just dont think so.

happy birthday as well!

I totally understand you!

I am at 4 CC, 4 months post up and lost about 33 pounds.

I can still eat a bit.

Planning to go for another fill next week, but afraid to be sick since I do have a bit of restriction.

In the morning-can not eat much

Afternoon cup of broth and 1/2 of chicken salad

At night about 7-8 boiled shrimps, or chicken breast.

I also able to eat bread at times.

I am worried that something is wrong with me cause I am at 4 CC and that is the max for an Inamed Band.

hey firegirl-

they actually figured out what was wrong with my band. BUT before i tell you what it was the amounts of food you listed really doesnt sound like alot to me. i was able to EAT with no restriction. never tight in the morning or ever really.

here is a copy of what i posted:

i have been dealing with a lack of restriction for a while now. i ended up contacting inamed to have them review my last swallow study (i dont have ins coverage on the band) well after they contacted my dr, my dr called me and wanted to do another swallow study at 4.1 cc (last on was at 3.8 cc) so this is what happened...

go in drink barium look at band. NO RESTRICTION. check to see whats in the band 4.1 cc. everyone is very confused how can this be yada yada. fill me to 4.5 cc. drink barium. no restriction. fill me to 5.0 cc. no restriction. the Fluid in my band came out a little murkey. they decide to change the t-shaped fill needle thing. when changing them out the dr wants to access the port himself (pa had done in past and today) he is poking jabbing stabbing etc. he even BENT the needle trying to get it in. switched again, got it in. removed all fill. still not happy with the connection so they switch access needles again. thank god they decide i need another numbing shot. so they fill me again to 3.0 cc and have me drink. i had a little restriction, bump me up to 3.2 cc now my opening resembles a bandster!!! remove fill, fill, swallow barium. remove fill, fill. swallow barium. they leave me at 3.2 cc.

they concluded that when i was getting filled before, while they were accessing the port they were not getting the fill fluid into the part of the port that would send it to the band. when they would withdraw fluid it wasnt coming from the band but a pocket in the port. i dont know. i dont care. all i care about is if i have restriction!!!!

i had a can of cream of chicken Soup and was able to drink the entire can with relative ease but thats just soup so we'll see as i get more adventerous tommorrow and this weekend with foods of substance.

they were also VERY impressed with my loss since the band hasnt been offering me any/very little restriction.

my dr has banded 200+++ patients and i am the only one this has happened to so dont worry i am an oddball! i guess i am in the 4% complication rate...but not anymore!!!!! i hope!

Well,

I don't know I hope I am not an odd ball as well:)

I am going to see my Dr and let them check how much Fluid I have and maybe ask him to take out and put back in.

Thank you!

hey zhanna

when they would remove the fill all of it WAS there. it was all clear so they didnt think anything WAS wrong. when they were adding and removing the fill they said the fill needle didnt have any pressure in it. when they got it in the right spot they felt the pressure. AND it only tool 3.2 cc's to give me restriction!