Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Everyone Get Stuck On The Same Foods?

Does it depend on each person or are there certain foods that most band patients can't have? Could you please list some foods you stay away from? I'm still trying to learn what life after band will be like...thanks!

For me... Some of my top offenders

chicken, shrimp or lobster, soft breads, hotdogs, leftover meat. I can eat the first day beef or pork cooked medium rare (not well done).

***Once in a blue moon I can eat the things listed above (except soft bread) but 85% of the time... I can't

I tend to stay away from bread, Pasta, rice (which I just can't figure out) and scrambled eggs ( which confuses me too).

That being said I can eat all of these if I'm really really careful.

Last night I had a thick chewy piece of sour dough bread with homemade jam on it (couldn't resist) went down fine, i ate it super slow and took very small bites. It filled me up really fast but I did not get stuck. On another occasion the first bite could have been the end of it. The band is a finikie thing, but how you eat (for me) really makes a difference.

I had this same question. Do these troublesome foods get stuck anytime or just after you get restriction?

I tend to stay away from bread, Pasta, rice (which I just can't figure out) and scrambled eggs ( which confuses me too).

That being said I can eat all of these if I'm really really careful.

Last night I had a thick chewy piece of sour dough bread with homemade jam on it (couldn't resist) went down fine, i ate it super slow and took very small bites. It filled me up really fast but I did not get stuck. On another occasion the first bite could have been the end of it. The band is a finikie thing, but how you eat (for me) really makes a difference.

same with me i often have some home made jam now its summer i make it with much reduced sugar and put it with 0% greek yoghurt ..

eggs are a real problem for me , most other things i cut so finely that i can eat them all .. I never go near rice or Pasta or bread tho :)

I cannot eat deli meat (especially ham), scrambled eggs, rice or Pasta most of the time. Also,any meat that is dry- I cook a lot in the slow cooker because you usually end up with a saucy, moist meat.

Like someone else said, the band can be touchy- you can eat something one day but not the next. Just chew it well and take small bites.

I hope i'll still be able to have chicken. I really love chicken, we eat it a few times per week. I can handle staying away from bread/rice but the meat thing has me a bit worried!

Hi. I stay away from those foods also. I do eat eggs all the time though. The foods you listed are the foods that helped me to be fat.(besides my own lack of restraint)

Hi. I stay away from those foods also. I do eat eggs all the time though. The foods you listed are the foods that helped me to be fat.(besides my own lack of restraint)

Agreed.... bread, Pasta etc. I try to stay away from too, but everynow and then, i do indulge.

bread and rice are tough, I can't do spaghetti either pastas arent to bad as long as I can only eat one at a time and no al dente

The worst stuck episode I ever had was with bacon...I avoid it like the plague (weird, right?). eggs don't necessarily get stuck, they just make my stomach hurt for some reason. chicken can give me trouble if it's too dry. I never reheat leftover meat because it gets dried out, so I just eat it cold.

As a rule, I avoid Pasta, steak, doughy breads, and fibrous fruits and veggies. These were never a big part of my diet to begin with anyway, and so many bandsters have problems with them that I find it better just to not eat them.

I find that anything that is hard to chew like bacon, steak and subway - I have NO problem with.

But if the foods are "mushy" like scrambled eggs and ravioli then I have a lot of trouble.

It's really weird, I would of thought it would be the opposite - but that's just what I'm like

Like everyone else has said, the Lapband changes. Some days it's fine with certain foods and other days it's horrible.

I think it likes to give you a break haha. And then sometimes it causes pain and choking to let you know that it's still there and don't forget! Haha

I also find that stress and different situations have impact on my Lapband.

If I'm stressing about something then I can't eat.

If I'm not at my house and I'm eating with friends or in public or at someone else's house I have a lot of trouble - usually because I'm worried about if I need to throw up and that stresses me and causes food to get stuck.

Also if I know i need to go anywhere after I eat, that causes food to get stuck no matter what it is. I can't eat if I have to go somewhere within an hour after.

And lastly, I'm not sure if anyone else gets this, but milk ALWAYS gets stuck in my Lapband which does not make sense to me >.<

I think every one may have different sticks...I can't do any bread. I really get stuck on corn. Over mediu

eggs won't work...poached will. Toasted bruschetta slowly fine. No yeasty or soft dough stuff. A cupcake eaten very slowly once in a while. Iceberg lettuce difficult, leafy lettuce goes down easier. Dry chicken yuck, drumstick dark meat fine. I need moist not dry meats. Filet mignon fine, rib eye not:( every day is different depends on time of day, how fast I eat, size of bites, and chews.

weight.png

I think it is different for us all. My sister and I were banded within a day of each other and she can eat things I can't. I can't do much bread, but small bites if I eat slowly, and she can eat a small burger with a bun. I don't do well with Pasta and she does. I only eat the icing at b-days and she can eat the cake. Each band is a little different. My band is very emotional and intolerant of rain. I tighten if in stressed or hormones go crazy and if there is rain I know it the day before most times. So, that beig said, your band and you will learn to communicate just like a true relationship. Your band will tell you what it likes by letting it go down with standard eating methods and what it doesn't like by getting stuck or takig it's own sweet time letting it pass. Just listen and you will figure out what works for you. Try foods you are worried about at home before eating out and that will help. Good luck on your journey.

I can eat everything so far. have to be extra careful with chicken and pork if it's dry.other than that I can eat everything.but I've only had one fill so that can be it.I'm losing about 1 LB per week so as long as I keep losing I won't get a fill and hopefully keep being able to eat everything.:-)