Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Regretting Lap Band Surgery?

Just curious. Unfortunately I'm a sugar addict so the band is not helping me. At all. I'm regretting my decision. I don't want to feel like I've put my self through surgery for no reason but I'm leaning towards that. I wish the sugar cravings would go away. It seems that's the only thing stopping my weight loss journey.

Sugar addiction isn't easy- I was one BIG time. Sometimes I would eat entire bags of Reese's miniatures in one sitting. I drank 6-8 regular sodas a day. Heck sometimes I'd even get up in the middle of the night to have a sweet treat.

But just like any other addiction, you have to suffer to kick it.

If you can go a week without sugary treats and restrict your carbs (because they process like sugar in your body), you would be over the worst of it. Drink LOTS of Water during that time too to flush your system.

Also, I would strongly advise seeking counseling. The Lap-Band can restrict how much we can physically eat and make us feel full sooner but it can't change our brains. Addiction is very real, including to food, and if you want to be successful with your band it's necessary to get your head in the game and seek help for the addiction.

Good luck.

Thanks Mis. I've just started counseling so hopefully that will help. How do you deal with sugar now? Do you eat it at all?

I avoid it except under special circumstances. For instance, I love Cadbury eggs so over Easter I had a couple. Tomorrow is my birthday so I'll be having a piece of Tiramisu rather than birthday cake. Truth is, I honestly don't like the sluggish "blah" way sugary foods make me feel. I'm quite content without them now. But kicking that addiction wasn't easy.

I'm so glad you've started counseling! I think it's going to really help you a lot!

I agree with Mis73 on this issue! You have to think of it like a detox, and you will go through withdrawals like nicotine, drugs etc. I don't know how true it is but I have heard that for some dropping the sugar is worse than other substances.

I know when I detox I get cranky, headaches, my systems cleans itself out, I have broken out, just feel flat out depressed.

It will make it easier to avoid or to have in very limited amounts once you are off them for a bit. My suggestion is to try to keep off them as long as possible and maybe try to substitute other things for it. There are some good products on the market that use splenda and things like that. I also have found sometimes when I am craving something like ice cream or chocolate I make up a Protein shake and toss a banana in it with some extra ice. It gives me the chocolate/the coldness/sweetness/and a bunch of Protein in it. Yogurt can be good to help you over the hump!

Alot of people on here do a piece or two of dark chocolate or other kind of sweet if you cannot shake it.

But try not to set yourself up for feeling negative on the band. For most of us that have been on multiple diets before, only to gain back the weight plus some extra. You figure each time you do that, and keep gaining over the course of years you are just going to see the number going up, up and away.

Try to get a control on that sugar addiction, and try not to let it control you! Good luck in your counseling for it and keep us posted!

I also fear the sugar monster. It is hard to change and you are right, it is an addiction. I have stopped drinking soda and have started substituting sugar free Jello for when I get a sugar urge.

So glad there are others who can relate to your dilemma. I like candy, chocolate but was never addicted to them. Good luck and you might try KayTee's route before you throw in the towel?

tmf

You did not know the guide lines going I to this?

Don't feel that way you will be fine. I felt the same way for the first few days . I had my surgery march 26 and I'm totally over sugar !! I lost 40 pounds already . Stay focused and just remember how great your going to look,

Sugar addiction isn't easy- I was one BIG time. Sometimes I would eat entire bags of Reese's miniatures in one sitting. I drank 6-8 regular sodas a day. Heck sometimes I'd even get up in the middle of the night to have a sweet treat.

But just like any other addiction' date=' you have to suffer to kick it.

If you can go a week without sugary treats and restrict your carbs (because they process like sugar in your body), you would be over the worst of it. Drink LOTS of Water during that time too to flush your system.

Also, I would strongly advise seeking counseling. The Lap-Band can restrict how much we can physically eat and make us feel full sooner but it can't change our brains. Addiction is very real, including to food, and if you want to be successful with your band it's necessary to get your head in the game and seek help for the addiction.

Good luck.[/quote']

I avoid it except under special circumstances. For instance' date=' I love Cadbury eggs so over Easter I had a couple. Tomorrow is my birthday so I'll be having a piece of Tiramisu rather than birthday cake. Truth is, I honestly don't like the sluggish "blah" way sugary foods make me feel. I'm quite content without them now. But kicking that addiction wasn't easy.

I'm so glad you've started counseling! I think it's going to really help you a lot![/quote']

I agree with Mis73 on this issue! You have to think of it like a detox' date=' and you will go through withdrawals like nicotine, drugs etc. I don't know how true it is but I have heard that for some dropping the sugar is worse than other substances.

I know when I detox I get cranky, headaches, my systems cleans itself out, I have broken out, just feel flat out depressed.

It will make it easier to avoid or to have in very limited amounts once you are off them for a bit. My suggestion is to try to keep off them as long as possible and maybe try to substitute other things for it. There are some good products on the market that use splenda and things like that. I also have found sometimes when I am craving something like ice cream or chocolate I make up a Protein shake and toss a banana in it with some extra ice. It gives me the chocolate/the coldness/sweetness/and a bunch of Protein in it. Yogurt can be good to help you over the hump!

Alot of people on here do a piece or two of dark chocolate or other kind of sweet if you cannot shake it.

But try not to set yourself up for feeling negative on the band. For most of us that have been on multiple diets before, only to gain back the weight plus some extra. You figure each time you do that, and keep gaining over the course of years you are just going to see the number going up, up and away.

Try to get a control on that sugar addiction, and try not to let it control you! Good luck in your counseling for it and keep us posted![/quote']

I also fear the sugar monster. It is hard to change and you are right' date=' it is an addiction. I have stopped drinking soda and have started substituting sugar free Jello for when I get a sugar urge.[/quote']
So glad there are others who can relate to your dilemma. I like candy' date=' chocolate but was never addicted to them. Good luck and you might try KayTee's route before you throw in the towel?

tmf[/quote']

Thanks everyone! Sometimes you need to hear it from others. I'm just always worried about the weekends and parties etc. I always say I'm gonna start "Monday" then that comes and goes and then three months goes by. My addiction is def fueled by emotions. Emotional eater= me I hate it. I really want to be successful. I also just lost my medical insurance so going to the lap band doc isn't an option right now. I haven't seen him in months and know I need to but can't afford it.