Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie!!! Help Me! ;)

Hello my name is Jessica and I'm 24 years old.. I have been considering the lap band for only like a few weeks now and been doing some research and found this site! I'm going to my first seminar this Wednesday and I'm excited yet nervous. I'm 24 and I havent weighed myself in 2 weeks but Im around 206-208 standing at a tall 5 feet and 1 in lol. My BMI is between 41-42. I have been up and down with my weight for the past 4 years. The most I've lost was 30 lbs but have sinced gained more than half of that back. I've tried everything from getting a personal trainer to weight loss pills. Nothing seems to keep the weight off. I have no self control when it comes to food so I figured the lap band would be the best for me. I'm soo scared as I have never had surgery before except for when I was 5 to have my tonsils removed. I also fear that I won't be approved since to my knowledge and as of my last physical I dont suffer from any health issues, however I have been having pain in my knees lately and diabetes, high blood pressure, etc runs really high on both sides of my family. So I would like to nip this in the butt before it finds me! Is there any advise for me as to my concerns about not getting approved.. And fears about surgery? Any thoughts would help!! :)

Thanks!!!

Also I live in Ohio anyone know of any good surgeons or clinics??

Hi Jessica there is a lot to learn on this site I wish you luck keep us posted

WHere are you at in Ohio?

Hi j cash I was banded may 7th12 I am 23 and I have no health issues other than being overweight also. Those issues run in my family too. I didn't have a problem with insurance, although it did take a month to get approved. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Hi there. Good luck to you and hopefully going to the seminar helps you get a better picture of what is ahead of you. You mentioned that you have no self control when it comes to food. Getting the lap band is not going to fix that, if you look on this site you will see plenty of people who still struggle with those issues. But hopefully if you do choose the band you will have plenty of support, and if you are doing it for the right reasons you will be able to overcome some of your issues and find long term success. Good luck to you, we are always here if you need us!

Jessica,

The band is not and easy fix, it still takes work and self control.

You will have a pre-op diet and a post-op diet, it takes lots of willpower when you are back on solid food

because you will need a few fills before you have restriction.

Good luck on your decision.

The band is a great tool but you still have to do the work.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm taking it all in. I've been on this site for some hours now and I'm seeing that it's not an easy decision to make and not Goin to be easy if or when I get it. But I'm sure I will learn more at the seminar..This site has a lot of info and I appreciate the support!

I am in Columbus Ohio

Tanieya did was your BMI over 40 and have much weight have you lost?

I am near Columbus and I've been seeing Dr Trace Curry.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using LapBandTalk

Cmk99 where is she located? And what has been your experience thus far?

He has an office in Grove City, off of Stringtown Rd. However he is only there certain days of the month. I didn't want to wait to see him in Columbus so I went to his office in Cincinnati. When I first called about attending a seminar they actually emailed it to me. I went for my first apt on May 16th, I got my letter of approval from insurance today. I liked everyone in the office, most of them have had the band themselves so they know first hand what your going through. It wouldn't hurt to call they may email you the seminar as well!1

Wow that was fast! What insurance do you have and what all did you have to do to get approved?

Wow sounds like you have made several contacts already. Those problems you mentioned about your health are from being over weight. I hope that you do choose the lapband. For me it was a great idea. I know you will do great.

I have BCBS. Dr Curry needed the past two years of medical records, phyc evaluation. I don't know if this made a difference or not but I took the medical records with me, my doctors office just printed them out for me. I don't have any health issues besides being obese so I wasn't made to take any additional test. When the Dr office sent the paperwork to insurance it only took about 4 days to get the approval. Once the approval it takes about 4 weeks to get into surgery, I'll be on vacation the last part of July so its going to be a little longer for me but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

I have BCBS. Dr Curry needed the past two years of medical records' date=' phyc evaluation. I don't know if this made a difference or not but I took the medical records with me, my doctors office just printed them out for me. I don't have any health issues besides being obese so I wasn't made to take any additional test. When the Dr office sent the paperwork to insurance it only took about 4 days to get the approval. Once the approval it takes about 4 weeks to get into surgery, I'll be on vacation the last part of July so its going to be a little longer for me but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using LapBandTalk[/quote']

Ok thanks so much for the info.. I have United health care and from what I'm told it covers but not positive yet.. Lap band is cheaper than gastric bypass right?