Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Our Age Make A Difference?

Hello! This is my first post on here.

I'm 21 years old and am going through the process to get banded. I am self-pay, so thankfully I won't have to wait on insurance.

So many people keep telling me that since I'm significantly younger than the average band patient that the weight should come off easier.

Has anyone noticed a difference with your weight loss compared to other people who might be a bit older?

I'm so excited about getting banded and this forum is so helpful!

I'm coming up on 40 (eek) and yes, it's true as you get older your metabolism slows and it's more difficult to lose weight. So, hopefully it will be easier for you and you'll get to your goal sooner. Good luck!

Having a lapband fitted and losing weight is far more about determinination and committment rather than age ... work hard at whatever age you are and u should be successful :)

I was 56 yrs old when i had my band fitted !

I think if you are younger it helps some. Yes your metabolism is faster when you are younger, and you will probably have a better chance of your skin returning to normal with out surgery. I was banded just before I turned 34, and I hit my first goal weight at 9 months post op. I was and am horrible about exercising, but fortunately I have virtually no excess skin to speak of. I could certainly tone up a little though :) Good luck to you on your journey!

I did Atkins when I was 21 ... the weight came off without any effort. I did atkins again when I was 26 ... I lost less than 20% of the weight that came off the 1st time.

Im not sure how it goes with the band ... but I was (still am) 28 when I got banded.

I'm am also in my 20's and am looking to get banded in September. When I spoke with my doctor they said the their younger patients have some of the best results! One of my good friends who was banded a few years ago at age 20 lost 85 lbs without much, if any, working out! Also, like those above, I have been told that your skin is much more likely to go right back. I'd love to talk to you further, i've been looking for someone to share in my journey with who understand what its like.

My doc said that younger patients do quite well but it is because they are likely to be able to work out more. You cannot rely on your age to help the weight "fall off". It is still going to require commitment, good food choices and work. I'm in my 20's and have had great results with lapband BUT I also have been putting in the work.

Mandy feel free to email me or send me a private message on the forum.

Info@sydneywyatt.com

You can also FB me. My FB email is sunshyne068@yahoo.com and you can search for me.

I do have a personal trainer and I workout a lot now, more than I ever did before. I can really see a difference in my body because of working out. The only time I lose weight without working out is if I take in 900-1000 calories a day.

I am only 20 and probably one of the youngest band patients. I have been able to lose weight fairly quickly and easily. I'm not sure if it's because of my age or if it's because I am trying very hard. Either way im two months post op and down 30lbs. You will see change, keep up the good work!