Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcos And The Lap.....

I had the Lap Band Surgery in October and I have only lost 15 pounds. I have met with the Nutristionist and am taking on about 1000 calories a day. She mentioned that sometimes people with PCOS have been unsuccessful with Lap. Any one else been where I am?

What is PCOS?

birdy,

i am right there with you, i have pcos and i was banded in august of 2011 and i have lost a total of 50 lbs, but 25 of that was prior to surgery, since the band itself my weight loss is 25 lbs. i started recording my weekly weights and the effects of my menstrual cycle, due to the pcos i seem to only be able to lose weight 2 weeks out of the month, the 2 weeks that i am affected by my menstrual cycle and the pcos along with the insulin resistance and diabetes, i tend to gain anywhere from 4-10 lbs during the 2 weeks then back down, lose for 2 weeks then back up. i discussed this with my surgeon and he states that pcos has nothing to do with losing weight but i know better, my primary dr told me it is going to be very hard no matter what i do, the key is exercise, i noticed that when i started exercising the weight came off a little more but still very very slow. i am also meeting with the nutritionsist next week and i also purchased a book about losing weight with pcos. it is very difficult and very frustrating, i wish you the best of luck

What is PCOS?

pcos is poly cystic ovarian sydrome. it is a meatabolic and hormone disorder in females that have cysts on their ovaries, it usually makes you insulin resistance and metabolic disorder of diabetes, it causes delay in periods, it gets your hormones out of sync and it causes you to hold excess Water. it makes some women not be able to have babies, it makes some women grow hair on their bodies where there should not be hair and it also makes some women balding of their hair on the head. it is a very disturbing disorder that is hard to control and very hard to lose weight with this syndrome.

I am being banded on June 5th and I also have PCOS. I'm a little worried about slow weight loss but hoping to stop the weight gain. I have lost 13 pounds on my pre-op diet so far. I am glad for all of the info on this site, and think reading all of the stories will help me not be discouraged : )

Thank you for telling me. The only way to learn is to ask. I have a tendancy to ask a lot of questions.

you are very welcome, questions are the only way to learn things and I try to answer any questions i can. as far as pcos with lap band it is a good thing that i am not gaining weight but the weight loss is very very slow

Hi,

I too have PCOS and before banding I meet with a nutrtionist thru my fertility clinic and they diagnosed the pcos and put me on metformin 3x. daily. I do not eat carbs and I eat small meals and Water and hydration is key. I also work out 3x week hard (cardio and weights) other days i do pilaties or just walking.

The metformin was the missing pice for me along with the lapband the weight is finally shedding. The metformin also helped to regulate my periods and helped with the hormonal fluctuations as well. Talk to your MD/Endocrinologist about adding metformin also do you have insulin resistance that is marked by rashes along the body, that is indicitive of a bad case of insulin resistance. THe metformin totally helps along with the band. Ask to have you fasting alc tested. its a blood suggar test.

I have PCOS as well, I am worried that I won't have results after the lap band. I no longer take the metformin because it makes my bowels unhappy. Has anyone had success with the lapband that has PCOS?