Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hondoford - thanks for the advice! I will look into Houston. I'm in the process of moving - or will be until July - so I'm using Dr. Kuri for now, but Houston would be a nice compromise in the future. Congrats on your weight loss - it seems like you're really doing great. Keep it up!!

For those about to have the surgery with Dr. Kuri - try not to be nervous about Mexico, the hospital and staff are great. Just make sure you ask for something if you need it, and utilize Dr. Kuri the night you arrive and have the meeting with him. It's a good opportunity to ask questions, and I brought a list! (I'm a med student so he joked with me and answered all my detailed questions with ease.)

MD - hang in there and keep up the good work. As far as fertility goes, the healthier you are, the healthier your swimmers are! Haha - just kidding. Go to the men's forum! Geez! ;)

-proud of y'all!

Lizzy

Oh! Pvrazor --- I bought the cans of chocolate Pure Protein (26g/can) shakes. they're great and affordable on Amazon. I also have one of the unflavored Isopure protein powders and they say its the best. Can't remember the specific name, but I will figure it out and get back to you.

No! Pure Protein 35g protein/can and Syntrax Nectar unflavored protein powder... Sorry!

Hondoford - thanks for the advice! I will look into Houston. I'm in the process of moving - or will be until July - so I'm using Dr. Kuri for now' date=' but Houston would be a nice compromise in the future. Congrats on your weight loss - it seems like you're really doing great. Keep it up!!

For those about to have the surgery with Dr. Kuri - try not to be nervous about Mexico, the hospital and staff are great. Just make sure you ask for something if you need it, and utilize Dr. Kuri the night you arrive and have the meeting with him. It's a good opportunity to ask questions, and I brought a list! (I'm a med student so he joked with me and answered all my detailed questions with ease.)

MD - hang in there and keep up the good work. As far as fertility goes, the healthier you are, the healthier your swimmers are! Haha - just kidding. Go to the men's forum! Geez! ;)

-proud of y'all!

Lizzy[/quote']

Thank you! And definitely look into Houston; it's the largest medical center in the world; 93,500 people work there and 20,000 physicians. You throw a rock and you'll hit somebody that will fill you!

I love that I found this Dr Kuri thread. It has brought me so much ease to read all these good words about him. Is it weird that I haven't loss weight on my pre op diet?

Marketing Dude? Lizbeth? Where you guys at? All 3 of us are 1 week away from being 1 year out and I'd love to catch up with you guys.

Hi crystaleffexx - I had my surgery exactly 1 year ago and the cost was $5,500 plus my airfare. Very affordable and it was the cleanest hospital I've ever been in. The staff is very nice and professional. I wouldn't hesitate recommending Dr. Kuri.

Marketing Dude? Lizbeth? Where you guys at? All 3 of us are 1 week away from being 1 year out and I'd love to catch up with you guys.

37lbs down - averaged a little over 3 lbs per month. I could be losing more...but not being sensative to my calories [so its my fault...not the band]. Another thing I know I could approve on is not drinking my calories [Protein, blended spinach, kale, celery, pinapple and apple smoothie].

Sometimes I don't feel truely fulfilled if I don't get food in my stomach....but this is a process. I'm thankful to have lost this weight so far and looking forward to losing more weight. In the meantime, I love working out at the YMCA....so this has never been a problem.

In closing, would I do it again...YOU BETCHA! Am I happy with almost losing 40....YOU BETCHA ! Am I looking forward to losing more weight [and making the necessary adjustments]...YOU BETCHA :D

Sorry for not communicating more....its just been a very busy year this past year. All the best to current and future Bansters !

Chris

Chris that is great to hear and I agree with you about needing food in my stomach to feel fulfilled. If someone had told me that after surgery it would be this 'tough' to lose the weight I would have told them they were crazy, BUT I would definitely still do it again. No doubt. Keep it up man!

I agree and know what you mean about 'busy year'; Morgan showed up in Sept and it's amazing how everything changes. My workout/eating/sleeping schedules have been drastically changed to say the least (and she's our 2nd!). The other pic is of me and the family on the morning that Morgan arrived. It's the most recent pic I have.

morgan4.jpg

family.jpg

hey guys!! Happy Anniversary! I am sorry I haven't been online, the second year of med school is the worst! Luckilly, I am well into my third year and loving it.

As for the weight loss, I have only lost about 10 lbs. BUT I also didn't find a good/affordable fill provider until last month. My first appointment with Dr. Atkins in Tulsa for a fill was yesterday... it went great! He is two hours away from my new home, so it isn't bad at all. When he did the flouro to see how much restriction I had, the barium went right through with my stomach being only slightly smaller where the band was - everybody laughed! It was nice to see that my band was still in place and that my trip to Dr. Kuri for surgery wasn't a waste. I just wasn't using the tool I had because I hadn't gotten filled since January.

My new doctor and I talked about my food issues - mainly being that I eat bread WAY too much. He said "don't worry, I will make that band tight so you won't be able to eat bread"... I know that sounds intense, but I was so EXCITED. That is why I got the lap band in the first place!

Anyway, he wants me to lose a pound per week until I see him in 6 weeks. I am hopeful. I don't feel hungry today and I have only been doing liquids. I cut out sodas (even diet!) a little over a month ago and I only drink coffee and unsweet tea. Dr. Atkins highly recommends STEVIA, with Splenda being a close second, for our artificial sweetening needs. I got a bottle of the liquid and put a few drops in my coffee today - pretty good! I plan to keep that with me so I don't get tempted by the "bad guy" sweeteners.

Anyway! Good to hear from old band friends - I am so hopeful that I can get on track, especially knowing that you guys have done it! Keep it up!

As for those coming to the thread to ask about Dr. Kuri, I must say that I loved my experience and even one year later, I don't regret it. My only recommendation is to make sure you have a doctor or nurse practicioner somewhere around you to do your follow-up care and fills. I would be much closer to my goals if I had done that. If you plan to go to Mexico for fills from Dr. Kuri, I think that was a fairly easy thing... I rented a car, drove across from San Diego (after vacationing for a few days in a cheap but beautiful Hostel in SD) and had my fill. It was very quick once the doctor, not Dr. Kuri but his partner, came but I didn't feel quite satisfied that I had enough restriction. I probably did need more fill, but I didn't drive back the next day to get some more in, so that was that. Not a wasted trip, but not as fruitful as it could have been. I think if I do that again, I will stay one night in Tijuana (that hotel somewhere by the hospital, the office could help you I bet) and make sure I am satisfied before I go home.

As for finding providers at home, your Kuri patient coordinator has lists for every state, but I would do more research and make sure the provider doesn't require you to pay a large transfer fee and won't make you jump through paper work hoops.

Longest post EVER! Catching up after almost a year, I guess. Good to hear from y'all!