Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm considering having my lap band done by Dr Kuri in Tijuana, any heard of him good or bad??

He banded me 7 years ago. I really liked him and his staff was great even though they didn't really speak english. I was in his old hospital that was really small. I felt like I was being rolled into a dungeon when they took me into the operating room. He is in a nice, new hospital now though as I am sure you have seen (or not). I never saw him until the day before surgery. Anyway, it took me several months to get filled tight enough to start losing. I went back to Dr. Kuri for my first fill and then I found a few doctors here in Texas to do it. I made it to my goal weight in about 10 months or so and then my band slipped. I think I probably got my band filled to full too fast and I was throwing up, so I don't think it was Dr. Kuri's fault. I then had a new band put in here in Texas and I have been banded for 7 years. So, I guess my experience with Dr. Kuri was good. The only thing that was a little scary to me was that I could hardly wake up the day of the surgery. I think the nurses were shootong stuff in my IV to keep me knocked out. I kept waking up and I could hardly hold me eyes open. I would see my husband sitting there and go right back to sleep. That finally wore off in the middle of the night. I was worried about it because I had to fly home the next morning! I woke up during the night/early morning and I whelled my IV into the bathroom and was able to go and then I was able to stay awake. I had just never experienced that before!

Thank you so much for replying I appreciate it;) way to go on reaching your goal! Hope I can reach it one day!

He did my surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I thought he was wonderful. I went back to him for my first 2 fills but it is so far away that I found someone closer to me to go to. I had no problems with the surgery and I felt and still do that some of the doctors in Mexico get a bad rap. The biggest problem is finding a doctor in the states that will see you. They are real uncomfortable with it because of where you had it done. This year I had some problems and it took my general doctor calling someone to get me seen. When I got there he said if he had known it was a problem with my band he probably would not have seen me. This also means more money which my insurance does not cover. The other good thing about Dr. Kuri is that when you request a copy of your surgery procedure he is able to get it to you. I think that is why the Dr. I go to now did accept me as his patient. Good luck ! I did like him and the hospital was great.

Wow that's interesting that drs won't see you bc of that..I'm about 6hrs away so its not too bad ill most likely be driving back to him for fills is there any advice you can give me about the testing or how its all done with him or what I can take with me? Thanks again for replying

Btw how was your weight loss process?

I had my surgery with Dr. Kuri in January and am going to see him on Thursday for my first fill.

He does his preliminary labs at Hospital Angeles which to me looked like it belonged in Beverly Hills. It was gorgeous. Then he takes you to his new surgery center which is equally impressive. As soon as I saw his new complex (Vida Wellness center I believe) my mind was immediately at ease. It was so nice and clean and everything wad brand new. The rooms were like hotel rooms.

As for the surgery so far so good. He does have employees that speak good English. You might encounter a nurse who isn't fluent but I got my point across well enough for her to tend to my needs.

There is a doctor in San Diego that is willing to do my fills because he is familiar with Dr. Kuri. I will be seeing him after my first fill because I want my original doctor to do my first follow up. It is my understanding that Dr. Kuri has a network of doctors in various states that wil provide fills and after care for his patients.

I had my surgery done with Dr. Kuri in 2006. It was like staying in a Spa and everyone there was reakkt nice. I have some anxiety issues and went for the procedure by myself, so when I got to the clinic after the airport, van ride etc., my heart rate was so high, he didn't want to do the surgery... (which made it worse) LOL. But they monitored me to make sure it was just a panic attack, vs an actual cardio issue, which actually made me feel a lot better about their level of care. I chose him out of a personal referral, and he had so many surgeries under his belt already. There was a small language barrier, so I would suggest learning some basic words in Spanish, or make a phonetic "cheat sheet".

I did have a little difficulty finding fill clinics in Seattle area, but now they are a lot more receptive to doing Mexican fills. I am currently going to Pacific Nutrition and Wellness, and have been very happy so far.

I am strongly considering Dr. Kuri for my Lapband surgery. I plan to have my surgery in 6-12 months, depending on finances (my insurance won't cover any WLS). I've been considering LBS for several years, tried traditional ways to loose the weight, and it just isn't happening for me. My sister was banded (in the US) a few years ago, and she is doing great. What I like so far about Dr. Kuri's team is that the patient coordinator (Joann Jackson) has either answered all of my phone calls, or gotten right back with me. And she has the answers to all of my questions, no matter how silly they may seem. I like that I'm getting the same person to talk to about this big decision, and she hasn't been the tad bit pushy about making a decision or booking, she is just there, answering my questions, sending me any information I request or info she thinks is helpful to me. I still feel I have a lot of research to do, but feeling very confident with Dr. Kuri.

I used him and she was my patien facilitator. I was very happen with him. The hospital was top of the line. Great experience no regrets banded July 24th.

I've done much research on him......AND THERE IS NO QUESTION....on the doctor I feel the most comfortable with.....in a life altering surgery such as this.

Hey y'all! I'm getting banded by Dr. Kuri on October 19th. I was going to go alone but decided to tell my mom and see wants to go with me and get some Botox haha.

I will let you know how it goes. Although, I'm a medical student and I think Dr. Kuri is an even better choice than docs in my area - he has been doing it for much longer. I also did a lot of reading on PubMed and Dr. Kuri uses the preferred surgical method, and the older Allergan band which has a lower complication rate than the newer bands that most docs are using now. Other than the actual travel, Dr. Kuri is as good of choice as any!

Where are from? I loved dr. Kuri he was awesome

I used him and she was my patien facilitator. I was very happen with him. The hospital was top of the line. Great experience no regrets banded July 24th.

How is it going for you? How much weight-loss so far? Has been the transition to band life been difficult for you? Is it difficult to transition to eating smaller amounts of food.

I'm getting banded by Dr. Kuri in 5 days and getting a little nervous. I talked to Mark (from Seattle who banded by him 4 months ago) yesterday and he has already lost 60 lbs

Hey y'all! I'm getting banded by Dr. Kuri on October 19th. I was going to go alone but decided to tell my mom and see wants to go with me and get some Botox haha.

I will let you know how it goes. Although, I'm a medical student and I think Dr. Kuri is an even better choice than docs in my area - he has been doing it for much longer. I also did a lot of reading on PubMed and Dr. Kuri uses the preferred surgical method, and the older Allergan band which has a lower complication rate than the newer bands that most docs are using now. Other than the actual travel, Dr. Kuri is as good of choice as any!

I will be going 2 days before you. In fact, if you are arriving on the 18th for blood-work around 1:30pm...I should be leaving the hospital around then after staying 1 day in the hospital after surgery. After leaving on the 18th, we are staying an extra day at the Marriott (just in case something goes wrong one more day) and then proceed to back to the airport on Friday. My wife and dad are coming with me which I'm so thankful for.

Blessings Elizabeth !

I am strongly considering Dr. Kuri for my Lapband surgery. I plan to have my surgery in 6-12 months, depending on finances (my insurance won't cover any WLS). I've been considering LBS for several years, tried traditional ways to loose the weight, and it just isn't happening for me. My sister was banded (in the US) a few years ago, and she is doing great. What I like so far about Dr. Kuri's team is that the patient coordinator (Joann Jackson) has either answered all of my phone calls, or gotten right back with me. And she has the answers to all of my questions, no matter how silly they may seem. I like that I'm getting the same person to talk to about this big decision, and she hasn't been the tad bit pushy about making a decision or booking, she is just there, answering my questions, sending me any information I request or info she thinks is helpful to me. I still feel I have a lot of research to do, but feeling very confident with Dr. Kuri.

Congrats....I'm getting banded by him in 5 days (Oh...NO :o )

P.S. Yes...JoAnn is straightforward and doesn't "push people" to get the surgery. She was also banded by him I believe...