Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I had gone a month without soda. Even fought it at the Dave Matthews Band concert last night. I thought I'd try a diet coke today bc I don't have any saline in my band yet and wanted to see if I could. It wasn't horrible but it was painful. I could burp fine so it wasn't that. I think maybe it expanded my esophogus/stomach enough to press on the band?? I don't know. But it wasn't really worth it so that's done. NO desire to drink it flat so thats that.

I don't mind drinking flat soda, lol. I get diet soda from Sonic and shake it until the fiz is gone.

My surgeon commented on his website that he doesn't understand the soda prohibition. The GI Tract is an open system. Gas escapes from either end, so it won't cause damage. But as you experienced it can be uncomfortable.

Diet soda has chemicals that can stimulate appetite, that was enough to swear me off. I've sipped on my hubby's regular sodas from time to time. I just get the hiccups from it.

I do OK with beer though. Just have to take the calories into account. Go figure.

Yeah I don't want pain OR appetite stimulation so I'm done. :)

Giving up Coke was difficult for me but I did it and have not had one since July 2010. I tried it flat, yuck, I tried to drink one, too much gas. I drink a lot of flavored waters, plain Water and ice tea with splenda. Small price to pay I guess for the band. I know a lot of people who do still drink soda but for me it was just to uncomfortable.

I could drink soda until my last fill a month ago. I wanted a rootbeer so i had about a cup. Needless to say it was the most painfully pain i have ever felt. My stomach hurt so bad! Not worth the pain so i just stay away from soda all together.

I just prefer to not suffer the negative consequences from ingesting something I have been warned by my surgeon to avoid...

I believe that I would not have been told to never have a carbonated beverage again or to avoid having a glass of wine until 1 year post op if there was not a valid reason to do so.

It's about one's belief system which govern the choices we make...I've not been totally compliant with the diet for the stage I am supposed to be at (I am not supposed to have any Peanut Butter until 6 months post op, but have an occasional teaspoon now).

When it comes to carbonation in a beverage, that was a different story for me; I knew the Coke Zero was not healthy, so it was a fairly easy mild addiction to wean myself away from starting 6 months prior to my surgery.

I realize we are all individuals, but never saw the reason in looking for complications for a moment of enjoyment with a soda...our mileage does vary! :)

Well the biggest issue I have with all this, as a LapBand newbie, is the conflicting info. My surgeon did not tell me not to drink soda. And I haven't heard anything about Peanut Butter until 6 months. My surgeon seems to be a kind of "well try it and see" kind of guy so I don't feel like I'm going against anything really. Like I said- all the conflicting info is hard to sort out. Just need to figure out how to make this tool work best for me :)

Well the biggest issue I have with all this, as a LapBand newbie, is the conflicting info. My surgeon did not tell me not to drink soda. And I haven't heard anything about Peanut Butter until 6 months. My surgeon seems to be a kind of "well try it and see" kind of guy so I don't feel like I'm going against anything really. Like I said- all the conflicting info is hard to sort out. Just need to figure out how to make this tool work best for me :)

Well the biggest issue I have with all this' date=' as a LapBand newbie, is the conflicting info. My surgeon did not tell me not to drink soda. And I haven't heard anything about Peanut Butter until 6 months. My surgeon seems to be a kind of "well try it and see" kind of guy so I don't feel like I'm going against anything really. Like I said- all the conflicting info is hard to sort out. Just need to figure out how to make this tool work best for me :)[/quote']

Wat did he say about Peanut Butter of u dont mind mr asking

I like this forum because it has been interesting for me to see how doctor's orders and opinions vary so much. My doctor said absolutely NO soda and NO caffeine. I presumed this might cause band erosion so I have avoided both since April 1st. I had my lap band surgery on April 9th.

i never heard the Peanut Butter don't's either.. my dr also suggest you try and determine method..Soda is a No,no for me

I had given up soda (only ever drank diet soda) for a couple months pre op and for like 8 months post op only having an occasional one. I started drinking it again and while I have no problem with it physically, I'm wondering if it is contributing to my plateau. So here I am giving it up again and for some reason it seems to be harder this time, but I'm on day 3 now.

Monica- the more important thing to note here is....I'm so jealous of u going to dmb!!!!! Wasn't that their opening concert?? Did they play anything off the new album besides mercy???? I'm so bummed, we're not going to a concert this year, they're playing too far away...

/offtopic

Hey! Ok I'm a huge fan. I know a lot of songs. Maybe not all but there were a couple songs I didn't know. So I guess they were new. Very mellow. The opening show was in Houston Friday night. Then Dallas was Saturday night. When they are in Houston they play a lot of songs and not a lot of long jam sessions. Then in Dallas they do fewer songs and lots of looooong jam sessions. I prefer more songs and less jamming. So I always prefer Houston. I'm going again in VA next month- which is my favorite place!!! :)