Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling Emotionally

I was banded exactly one month ago on 4/18 and am really feeling lousy. The food is fine. The not eating as much is fine. I need a fill, but even bandster hell is fine...

What's not fine is that I'm really feeling down... I'm not normally depressed, or haven't been in years and years. Usually I'm happy, bouncy, optimistic... But EVERYTHING is bringing me down. I've been mad at my husband, can't seem to let things go, my mind is racing with minor annoyances, I think my mother may not be talking to me (she has issues anyway) and it's sending me into a small tailspin, and I'm just all over the place.

I really appreciate Jen75's comment on another thread about how we're used to eating to cover our feelings, so intellectually I get what's happening to me. What I don't get is what to do about it!! I want to curl up in a ball and have everyone just leave me alone.

I expected to have some emotional responses after surgery, but I just didn't expect to be THIS upset!

Has anyone else gone through this? I feel like I'm supposed to be all happy that I'm losing weight (I've gone down a pants size already) but I just feel anxious and depressed....

I've been going to counseling and also attending an Emotional Eating group since my band surgery. I wish I had done it prior!

No longer using food to sedate myself, to "stuff" down my emotions has led to some trying times. But I'm learning how to cope. I hope you can find help too...

Jacki

Thanks Jacki! I have a therapist and am seeing him tomorrow, but it doesn't help immediately.

Just wondering how long this will last.

I hope ur feeling better!! I am recently banded (7 days in!!) and my Dr. told me to expect emotions to fluctuate as I lose weight. he said this is because fat holds hormones and as we lose weight our hormones will be all over the pace!! Just wanted to mention that to you as maybe this is the issue since you are a new bandster. Try to keep things in perspective if you can and find ways to de-stress like spending some alone time or getting a massage or even just vegging out with a movie or a magazine if you can. Good luck and hang in there. This tooo shall pass.

It is an emotional rollercoaster at times being banded but what will help balance your emotions is exercise, it is important to release the feel good hormones that sosmetimes we are lacking ... when u feel like u do go for a walk, do that job at home that u have been putting off, just do something that has some sort of reward attached to it other than reaching for food, which i know some emotional eaters would have done. Everyone gets up and down days and being banded and losing weight makes those days a seem more frequent, but think how many days pre-op u felt bad then compare it to how many u feel like now :) we always tend to think things used to be not as bad as they really were and are often too ready to over scrutinise the here and now .. i agree with the suggestions everfeels makes in her post above ..

What you are going through is perfectly normal. I too felt the same way and could not figure out why. I started exercising which not only helped the weight loss and inches, but it really did make me start feeling so much better. Your body is just going through a lot of changes and since we not longer really have food as a coping mechanism, it really is a tough time. I promise you it will get better. Keep your therapist appt as having someone to talk through it is a great thing. Worse case scenario the doc puts you on some anti depressants for a little while just to get over the hump. Take care and stay on this site to get lots of support. Very important to have other people who are going through the same things to support ya -_-

Thank you. I have to say that I TOTALLY hadn't considered exercise.

I am now three months out from surgery. It really has gotten better. I would say the first 6 weeks were the worst as far as emotions go. However, I have noticed in the last couple of weeks, that I have not been nearly as sensitive to things and that I have not even wanted to eat when I get upset. It will get better, you just have to give yourself time to adjust to all of the change.

NC Mama, I am hoping you're right!!!!!