Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Disconnect

Hi,

Has anyones port become diconnected? If so how long before you got it fixed? Where there any complications from it being disconnected? Any other info you can give me would be great. My port is diconnected and 'll need to go back to Mexico to have it fixed and I'm hesitant to go to Mexico at this time.

Thanks!

Mixxie

Hi Mixxie,

The same thing has happened to my band port and tubing. An Xray showed the tube had become disconnected from the port. I first noticed a lack of restriction in September 2012. I was banded in April of 2011. I experienced sharp abdominal pains as well. Anyway, I am going back to have it fixed within the next couple of weeks. It will be an out patient surgery, but will still have to go under. My Dr. told me he would put two holes in my stomach for a camera and grasper, then flush out the band and tubing and reconnect the tube to a new port. He wasn't too worried about the loose tubing even after I expressed my concern with the abdominal pains. Told me there had been some complications reported with a loose tube but they were so rare that I shouldn't worry. Are you still with a disconnected tube to your port? Anyway, good luck.

I also have a disconnected port. I woke up one morning in mild pain, as the day went on it just kept getting worse. I visited a&e on the evening, it became that bad. Saying this they didn't diagnose it, that was the following week with my band doctors. This was in October. In two days ill be going to get it fixed. I've read that the wire can get caught up in things. I don't know if its just me being silly but it feels as though its knotting up around my internals at times. I've not really had the procedure explained to me, other than they will re connect it x

Was reconnected yesterday with a new port. Pretty uncomfortable right now. Much the same as the initial surgery, but he only had to put two holes in my stomach versus the 5 or so for the initial installation of the band. It was an outpatient surgery and therefore didn't stay overnight in the hospital where they most probably gave me pain killers intervienously. He moved the new port location to the opposite side of the stomach. He filled it to what I had before the tube became detached. Since he put 6cc in all at once, and I had been unrestricted for several months, I had a pretty rough first night. I think so much fill all at once caused swelling and completely stopped any flow through the band. Today, I can feel (and hear) a small trickle passing from the pouch to my stomach. I am assuming that will continue to get better as the swelling goes down. So far no internal pains like I had before, only the pain from the incesions. Good Luck.

I've never had anything in my band as I fell pregnant shortly after having or fitted, so I'm not sure what to expect in that sense although I do get restriction even without the Fluid, not a lot mind.

I'm so glad you posted about how you got on, hmm I felt terrible after my initial surgery, I thought it may have been easier on recovery/pain but never mind.

How long in total was you in hospital as this is my main concern with it being Christmas Eve and having small children.

I hope your feeling a little better today x

I'm feeling much better today. I was able to drink coffee with no problem this morning. The night was much better, but fairly painful trying to turn over to lay on my side. I was given a liquid pain medication but it did no good the first night since I was completly restricted and just coughed it up immediatly after taking it. Last night I could have probably taken it and it would have helped. I am strange with pain meds though and will ony use them if I am desperate so didn't even try it last night. I was in the hospital for only about two hours which included prep and recovery. The surgery itself only took about 20 minutes. I feel great about the procedure though since I already know what the outcome will be. 80 Lbs. already lost with only around 10 to 15 more to go and all of the associated problems I had before now eliminated (diabetes, sleep Apnea, hight blood pressure, high cholestral) makes it sooo worth it. Good Luck

Wow not long at all then. Im not sure where I will b on the list tomorrow, hopefully not last! I have to be there for 7 am, surgeries don't start until 9 am.

I've really mixed feelings about it all if I'm honest. I don't hold much hope, all through our my pregnancy I was so looking forward to starting my journey or continuing it, however you may look at it and then it was found I had a leak, followed by complete disconnection. I can't imagine me ever being thin. I have two members of my family who both have a band and they are at their goal weight, I know it's odd as I can see the results in front of my very eyes, yet still don't believe it will work for me.

Also I have the battle for the fear I may die, also pretty silly particularly as I've been there before, on the table I mean. Still can't help it though.

As for the medication, I'm the same, if I'm in pain it's for a reason and I want to be aware of it. That's just in general, I only ever take medication if totally necessary.

Thanks for the reply, I really do appreciate it. I hope the rest of your recovery is speedy x

I had a great night last night. Was already able to sleep on my side, and I had solid food (chicken noodle soup) and handled it just fine. I have read and studied so much about the lap band procedure and would like to try and put your mind at ease a little. The reconnection is very simple and stastically you will definately come through it just fine. Secondly, although I can only speak for myself, it literally saved my life and had the benefit of making me feel so much better about myself. You can and will lose the weight with your band! I'm thinking of you as you are probably in surgery now. Again good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family. I know you will have a great next year.

Best wishes to both of you!

Happy Holiday's!

Thank you for that Cramer, although apologies as I've only just read it :-).

So I'm still alive... That's a bonus! Lol.

I was first in on the list remember it being about 9.10am then I woke up but I'm sure it was about 12.10pm I think that's a little odd, it taking so long I mean.

Today I've got to say I'm very uncomfortable the whole top half of my body aches, I have four incisions and terrible wind pains, which if I'm honest didn't think I would have. Not sure if that was just hope though :s

I can't pick my babies up or even have them near me for very long as the little ones aren't aware obviously, this is making me sad :-(

I had 2mls but my original surgeon reckons I can go and have another fill in two weeks?? I don't even think my incisions will have heeled by then?? Any way I'm starving, too scared to drink let alone eat so won't fall off the wagon. I need to try and remember or rather force myself to drink though as I'm not having no where near enough.

I hope I start feeling a little better soon, my pain threshold is rather low, so it's depressing me out, my neck even hurts?! Lol. Sorry to go on. Moaning and its Christmas!

Merry Christmas x

Crumer sorry my auto correct took over x

Wanted to give you a day to get over the immediate side effects of the surgery before inquiring on how it as going. Hope you are feeling much better and quickly recovering. I'm personally amazed at how quickly I'm recovering from this re-connection surgery. Even though I wasn't sure the occasional sharp pains in my abdominal area were really due to a disconnected tube, I have not had any since my surgery, so am now convinced that was the cause. Let me know how you are doing, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hi, yeah not too bad today, feel much better in comparison. My stomach muscles seem to be easing, it's not half as much of a struggle to bend over and stuff now. I slept in my bed last night too rather than the sofa which was nice.

Still have some wind but no where near as painful as it was.

I'm not sure if I've had any pains like I did before hand ill see how it goes as I recover more.

My surgeon wants me to be on liquids for two weeks like mentioned. Today I've had a yoghurt which has satisfied me for about an hour. I'm so hungry my stomach hurts when it rumbles lol. Not sure what to do, I'm trying to stay on track as I know now the real learning curve comes into play.

On the plus side, I have weighed myself and love what the scales say although I am aware that its mainly going to be Water, but I'm going to ignore that bit for a while lol.

Hope your keeping well x

Oh also how long did you wear your compression stockings for?? Are you still wearing them??

I still have mine on bit they are driving me mad. I also still have my plasters on over my wounds?? The hospital didn't really tell me much and I'm jot sure if the same rules apply as last time... That of what I can remember of them x