Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would I Have A Problem Going On A Relaxing Vacation After Surgery?

We are going to be flying down to San Diego and hopping the boarder to go to TJ to get banded by Doctor Kuri (excellent doctor by the way). After 2-3 days there, the plan is to rent a car to go to Hollywood and then San Francisco....and leisurely just enjoy the coastline.

I know most would say to not do this (and do the trip before the surgery) but I'm wondering....(barring it would be a VERY relaxing trip) to do this. One of the reasons I'm exploring to do this is because...if there was complications (3 days after surgery) I'm still in California and we could easily go back to Tijuana.......rather flying from Chicago back to San Diego again.

I'm sure everything will be fine....but I'm always looking to prepare wisely and prepare for the "whatifs" in life.

Blessings all...let me know your thoughts?

I was pretty miserable the first week after surgery; lots of pain from the gas they put in your abdomen during surgery, plus I had some depression from not being able to eat, something that my life had revolved around for so many years. I think it's good to stay nearby, and walking is supposed to help, but I guess I would be worried about overdoing it so soon after surgery. Sitting in the car was VERY uncomfortable, so not sure how you'll be feeling to do a road trip...

Sitting in the car was VERY uncomfortable, so not sure how you'll be feeling to do a road trip...

Interesting...never ancipitated the car ride being a problem but I can see how it could when considering your posture when sitting in a car.

Thanks for the tip !

You couldn't have paid me to take a car trip within that first week post surgery!! I had surgery on Tuesday, and spent the following Sunday in the ER because I was certain something was terribly wrong -- it wasn't!

I am curious though, if you're traveling to Mexico to have the surgery, who will do your aftercare? The most vital part of this band, for me anyway, has been the aftercare. I've always wondered what people do that have been banded outside of the U.S.

We are going to be flying down to San Diego and hopping the boarder to go to TJ to get banded by Doctor Kuri (excellent doctor by the way). After 2-3 days there, the plan is to rent a car to go to Hollywood and then San Francisco....and leisurely just enjoy the coastline.

I know most would say to not do this (and do the trip before the surgery) but I'm wondering....(barring it would be a VERY relaxing trip) to do this. One of the reasons I'm exploring to do this is because...if there was complications (3 days after surgery) I'm still in California and we could easily go back to Tijuana.......rather flying from Chicago back to San Diego again.

I'm sure everything will be fine....but I'm always looking to prepare wisely and prepare for the "whatifs" in life.

Blessings all...let me know your thoughts?

As I recall, just after my surgery, I did not have much energy, and was in a fair amount of pain, and with taking the pain medications, all I wanted to do is sleep. I was also advised that I needed remain active with moving around, and that every 45 minutes I needed to be up and walking around to decrease my chances of blood clots forming. This time is for healing, and following the surgeon's instructions about post -op care.

To me, riding in a car is really not much different than a plane; you would need to be aware of circulation risks in your legs. There were exercises I had to do for the first 6 weeks post-op to help lower the risks for blood clots.

Asking your doctor about their advice regarding a trip is appropriate...if it were me, I would not do it. I believe it is very important to get your rest, and go with a plan that there would not be any complications. If you stress your system through lack of rest and proper care, you may raise the risks for complications.

Your mileage may vary...

Based on personal experience only - I would not do it. I needed to sleep and walk regularly in the week after surgery and it was very difficult to get comfortable sitting in one place for anything more than 30 minutes. Plus you will be much less energetic than your travelling buddy so he\she will have to slow down considerably for you.

have you considered how you will manage your post op liquid diet?I tend to eat out more when travelling and you won't be in a position to do that.

good luck with your surgery

You couldn't have paid me to take a car trip within that first week post surgery!! I had surgery on Tuesday, and spent the following Sunday in the ER because I was certain something was terribly wrong -- it wasn't!

I am curious though, if you're traveling to Mexico to have the surgery, who will do your aftercare? The most vital part of this band, for me anyway, has been the aftercare. I've always wondered what people do that have been banded outside of the U.S.

Lady is a 4 hour drive south of me here in Illinois. Already set it up. There is an "off chance" that my brother's surgeon will do him a favor by doing my adjustments also. He is about 2 hours away versus the 4. However, he is VERY CONSERVATIVE with his adjustments (e.g. 1/4-1/2 cc per adjustments) and that could get expensive. Either way though...I will be covered back home here. Good question !!

What ended up being the problem...I'm curious as I want to ancipate problems....or better yet...ancipate issues...that end up NOT being issues at all. At least I can recognize potentially "false signs" of potential problems as well.

Blessings !

I caught a cold around the time I was in the hospital, not fun. Mu surgeon wanted me walking around every 30 minutes for clots. IF you can stop, and IF you are neve far from emergency care, then maybe. But I'd not do it until at least 3-4 days post-op. did you ask your surgeon? What did Dr. Kuri say? The Cali coast has some areas where you'd be an an hour or so from emergency care, from hi-tech energency care? Different story. Most central coast bandsters go to Los Angeles or San Francisco. A 2-3 hour drive.

Personally, i would not have wanted to be that far from my surgeon for at least a coulpe of weeks, but I did not need him. Being forced to be upright in a car and nor have my bed? No way for me. Just not an option in my book, but we are all different.

I'm with everyone else. The first week after surgery was pretty miserable. I was very happy for the liquid pain meds they gave me. I had to drive home 3 hrs 2 days after surgery and that was bad enuf. I wouldn't have had a very good time traveling had I tried to have fun. Plus I was starving - and the smell of food from restaurants would have made me angry. Good luck in your decision.

Marci

What ended up being the problem...I'm curious as I want to ancipate problems....or better yet...ancipate issues...that end up NOT being issues at all. At least I can recognize potentially "false signs" of potential problems as well.

Blessings !

I was really unprepared for how weak and lightheaded I felt the first week after surgery. I had very little pain from my incisions; the worst pain was the gas pain and that was tolerable with pain meds and a heating pad. Truly the worst thing was being weak as a kitten -- I got winded and had to sit down just from climbing a flight of stairs. Five days out, I was in the shower and too weak to hold my arms above my head to Shampoo my hair -- that's when I thought something was really wrong and I went to the ER -- I was literally getting worse instead of better. They ran all kinds of tests and didn't find anything wrong. The next day I felt much better, but the day after that was awful again! It was just kind of a weird recovery! A couple of years before I was banded I had my gallbladder out and didn't experience any of this stuff. Maybe it was just me. I hope you have a much better experience!!

But, on a better note, after that first week, everything has been great and I'd do it all over again if I had to!!!

I am only three weeks post op so I clearly recall my recovery. almost the entire week after surgery I stayed lying down and napping. I walked once a day and towards the end of the week I was able to go to a movie but the car ride alone was complete misery. I was also allergic to the pain meds so I wasn't on any after day 2. but everyone heals differently. Good luck.

Sitting in a car will put your legs lower than the rest of your body and that is not good for potential blood clots. So if you are going to be riding for long periods of time I would say definately "no" on the vacation. But I am not a doctor of course.

Hey! Here's an idea. I am sorta thinking u won't be in the mood for travel, constant riding, going to a diff restaurant every meal, I could NOT have, maybe I'm a WUSSIE. LOL. But, ur thots staying close make a lot of common sense. Why don't u and husb mman find a super resort hotel and just check in close to Dr? I don't know what's available in that area, but you'd have a great luxury Room, room service if desired, a pool, beach, other resort facilities u could take advantage of, think massages, facials, spa relaxing stuff. maybe?????? Just having your hair washed and styled wld b fun!

Best of luck to u, whatever u decide! :)

Im 3 days post-op and cant imagine traveling or riding in a car!! All i am doing is resting and sipping Water and Protein Shakes. I am still on pain meds (the gas is PAINFUL!!) and am constantly dozing off in front of the tv. Im glad to be home. I really wouldn't recommend you take a car trip after surgery!! and I must say that for you to even consider it makes me think that you really dont realize that this is a surgery npt a "procedure". You need to take it seriously and allow your body to heal for best results. Still you are grown and entitled to your own decisions so whatever you decide--good luck!! be well!!