Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am pre-op and so excited about my healthier future and right now I can't see it but am wondering did anyone suffer food withdrawl? I am a foodie... it was how I Celebrate, mourn, share.. it was never about nourishment until now.. I fell 100% about my decision, just trying to think of what happens after...

If it happens, is it right away.. or are you so excited to make the change that you never look back?

Actually...things taste better to me. I actually slow down to taste it now.

I think for me I could have pulled the trigger and had surgery a year sooner if I would have accepted the fact that I wouldn't be able to eat what I ate prior to surgery. The thought that I couldn't have a Carl's Jr double cheeseburger, or go to black eyed pea and have a chicken fried steak smothered in gravy just overwhelmed me.

Now, I know I can still do this, it's just going to take 3 meals to get it all down. So, I get to enjoy the luxury 3 times instead of 2. But seriously, it's no longer a priority to eat like that. Something happened mentally and now I don't crave it and have only eaten fast food once in the last 3 months(doube cheeseburger, McDs).

The fear you have is real but it's only in the now. The now after surgery I only think about nutrition and thin.

tmf

I used to love cooking, eating, watching food channel, new recipes, wanted the best knives etc..

17 months later I don't really think about food much My wife was talking about what to do for fathers say and suggested going out to dinner. I told her I wasn't really interested in that. I go out to eat because she likes it and I like the company and socialization. I don't much think about the food.

I told her I would rather have a new seat for my bike so I can ride more miles in comfort.

Eating has really now about keeping up energy so I can do more activity. I really don't miss it at all all.

I was watching old home movies with my kids just this morning from of a Christmas a few years ago. I NEVER want to look or feel like that again. My fingers looked like little Vienna sausages LOL !!

i like watching the food channel too, i like grocery shopping and i collect a few cookbooks and cooking mags too, but for some reason i dont like to cook ! I didnt have withdrawls because i didnt have to give up anything ! I still eat 99 % of what i ate before, just smaller amounts. Because i know im only going to be able to eat small amounts im pretty careful to get my Protein in as much as possible, and i try to include a bit of fruit or veggies daily. i also have a small treat everyday. For example, this AM i had a handful of raw nuts with my am tea, 10 am a Boost Protein Drink before i went swimming, noon - a cup of Wendys chili and a small DQ blizzard, dinner will be a small piece of chicken and some brown rice and fruit. Ive lost 37 lbs since Dec 13th, so far this works for me ! Good luck to you !

I love food, used it in all the situations you mentioned and did go through a sort of withdrawal at first. Weeks 2-4 post surgery for me were very eye opening. I realized just how often I relied on food for, well, everything. Once I figured out that I didn't need to be eating all the time, I'm much more selective in what I cook. I still eat with family, my father in-law and I cook together at least once a week. We start with a recipe and change it to our tastes and what is in the house. It is a lot of fun and there isn't a lot I can't enjoy with him. I just have to stick to the right portion size. Once I make it past week four post op, I didn't crave fast food at all. In fact, I've been able to steer my son and family away from it as well. We enjoy what we put together as a family. It means more.

I dont remember any true physical withdrawals from anything, other than just mentally, which I still sometimes have troubles with. There are times when I miss being able to indulge in a giant meal the way I used to, but most of the time I am fine with what I am permitted to have now. I do suffer from head hunger from time to time which is an ongoing fight for me, it usually strikes for me during times of stress.

I cook more post-band than pre. I think it's because I am now eating to fuel my body rather than just for the sake of eating. This means I value everything that goes into my mouth and I want to savour it. I get more enjoyment from eating now which means that I am getting more enjoyment from cooking and food prep.

Do I miss the crap that I used to eat? Honestly, no.

I was really worried about this too. But at 4 weeks post-op I am able to eat anything, much less of course. I find that a bite of something I'm craving satisfies me just fine.

I too am a huge foodie. I have every cooking gadget and fancy pot. I collect cookbooks and watch the food channel religiously. My husband is in the restaurant business. I thought I would miss food. And that is what took me so long to finally have the surgery. The fact is, I enjoy cooking and eating even more. First, it is no longer a chore to stand in the kitchen prepping a meal. I love adapting recipes to suit my new way of eating. And my husband loves the results. Eating out is an adventure now. Instead of eating at the fat laden standbys, we look for new places that offer interesting cuisine and small plates that we can share. I won't lie. I do occassionally miss the fast food burger and fries, but now I know can live without them.

I've been struggling with this same question!! Thank you for posting - and thank you everyone who responded!! Much better info than my patient advocate gave!

My withdrawals so to speak is from the social aspect...i never realized just how often friends would say "hey lets grab lunch or dinner" in the last 2 weeks tho they know i had surgery, they have forgotten a few times and asked me. Now yes i can go and have some Soup, which is what i did the one time i went..but that day, i realized how miserable i was because i couldnt ahve what a really wanted, while everyone at the tables around me, could. my friend only ordered Soup, to be supportive, but it was still tough for me..so now when im asked to go out to eat, i turn it down...but once i can have solids, i will go, because im ok with not eating as much, its jsut hard to not have the stuff i actually want lol.

I think we have all felt either the miss of the food or the socialization. Fortuantely the same friends i turned down, then came up with other ideas for going out. One even asked if i wanted to go for a walk at a nearby nature center...so that was very cool.