Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having It Out!! Hooray!!!!!!!!

Hello all, having my lap band on on Monday 14th may and I'm so happy. I had my band put in 8 years ago in Lyon France, by dr Frering. I lost all the weight needed but had so many problems with fills, the worst was when they overfilled me and couldn't drink Water. I had to travel 400 miles to get it unfilled!

When I lost the weight I looked good in clothes but the loose skin was terrible and I felt so ashamed. I think I also atrted with an eating disorder and was obsessed with my weight.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had the Fluid taken out but still had retriction. Since having her I've not been able to eat anything solid at all. I now live of chocolate, biscuits and Soup and have put on half the weight lost. No healthy food will go down at all, I do try but always burp it back up. I should never have had the band, I feel that councilling would have helped. Not being able to eat out with friends and I'm deficient in Vitamin D, it's been a hard ride. I'm craving fish now, so can't wait to eat a proper meal and hoping all goes well in my surgery.

Isn';t it amazing what we do so we can be thin, now I want to focus on healthy, thats all that matters.

Any tips or advice about the surgery would be great. xx

Boy can I relate! I had a year of major complications and couldn't eat anything but ice cream! Now I have no Fluid in, but still get stuck several times a week and throw up. I wish I could get it taken out!! Good luck to you!

I got my lapband one year ago this month. I never had a fill the band was so restrictive it felt like something was stuck all the time. I slimed on everything and could only eat soft food or liquid. I was miserable. I lost 40 pounds in the first 3 months and then nothing. I did not feel better I felt awful everything I did revolved around how I could eat or what I could eat. Even eating anything took over an hour with a couple of stuck episodes it was embarrasing.I spent Thanksgiving in my bedroom throwing up in a garbage can so I wouldn't ruin everybodies day. I could not go for an unfill because it was never filled. My doctor removed air from the band a few times and said I would adjust well I didn't and I had it removed 2 months ago and it took about a month or so before the stuck feeling went away. I am glad I had it out, I am embarrased because it didn't work for me as well as disappointed and defeated. I have started to gain some weight back but I am trying to control it. I am glad it works for some or most people but not for me. Good luck

I had major complications too, Tammy. I just saw my GP today and he thinks it's time for the band to come out! WOOOOOOO! But I am having a hard time finding a surgeon to do it. There aren't that many in Denver, I'm not speaking to the one who did it in the first place, the surgeon who I had been going to for constant fills and unfills has moved away, and so far no one I've asked is willing to do it. Waiting to hear back from two other surgeons who's receptionists said they'd call back tomorrow. I hope I can get it done over the summer because I'm on break from school.

I went to my doc over a week ago and told him that I wanted the band removed. He told me he wouldn't remove it w/o me seeing a phychiatrist first. He doesn't feel that I would benefit having it removed. Well, I'm miserable. And since I went to see him, my insurance was cut, so I can't even go back. I should've had him remove all the Fluid. He didn't even suggest it. I'm beyond frustrated. Wish I'd never gotten the band in the first place.

Are you having complications, Miss A? Sounds like you need to go to a different surgeon if you can get your insurance to pay for it. I'm not using the same surgeon who put it in to get it out. I hate that guy!

I wish more people had this information. I have been getting sick since day 1. Lost 100 lbs. throwing up in my sleep. took Fluid out, got pregnant, throw up my whole pregnancy with no fluid in the band. and not because i was pregnant. I've had every type of test done and nothing shows abnormal, except slower emptying. which is what the band is suppose to do. I want it out so bad! I want to have another baby, but not with the band in. I wish i just would have excerised and ate right, and never had the surgery.

I'm so sorry Amy. Are you self-pay? Because if not, it sounds like you'd be able to get your insurance to pay to have it out. I'm having mine removed soon and it's because I barf ALL the time! (Though not in my sleep--that sounds horrible!) If your surgeon is being uncooperative, just go elsewhere--that's what I'm doing. No arguments, no hassles. It's wonderful.

It will be 3 years in October that I was banded. Lost 40 pounds and then nothing. food gets stuck often. I just found out I have what is called a nutcracker esophagus. I have been told the band has to come out. My doctor is trying to save the band. All Fluid has been removed. At the end of the month I have to repeat the original test. If ok, he will slowly refill the band. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm scared what will happen if the band is removed. I still feel tightness with the fluid removed.

I've had the band for 6 years. Lost 70 lbs but still need 20 to reach goal weight. How did I loose it? By eating very small meals but I still eat a desert daily. So I still am addicted to sugar. Anyway, I am so tired of not being able to eat salads, most vegies, and most fruits, and tire of not sleeping due to acid reflux that I am having all the liquid taken out tomorrow. I know will try to talk me into just taking a little out but I feel that I want it all out. I just want to be able to eat healthy again. But I hear some of you saying that you had all the liquid taken out and you still have restriction?? That scares me. I guess I'll find out if I'm one of those people soon enough. I know that the food and liquid goes through my esophagus very slowly because I can eat and then lay down 8 hrs latter,,,and I still have acid reflux. I would apreciate any responses to my situation...thank you all for sharing.

Hi Summer! I have to take Protonix twice a day to keep the reflux down. I had to go through many different kinds of medicine (including Nexium) to find the one that worked for me. If you're still having trouble after your unfill, you may consider having it removed.

Jessiecms,,,,am I understanding you right? You have all your Fluid taken out and you still have restriction and acid reflux? I was counting on all my problems being gone when I take all the liquid out. I thought my stomach would be back to normal. Do you think that the band ruins the esophagus and stomach area for having it in place for many years? I have my doctor apt in a couple of hours and I hope I can talk him into taking it all out. Knowing him he will most likely want to take only a small amount out. Hey, it's my body and I just want to be healthy and happy. Don't we all?

I don't have much restriction most of the time, but I get stuck almost every day. I'm getting the band out because I'm sick of barfing all the time. And yes, if I don't get both of my Protonix pills everyday, I have severe reflux. Good luck to you!

Today I had my doctor apt and he took all the Fluid out of my band. He said that I didn't really have much in there so it's possible that I may have other problems. So far I had a great day.....I ate some normal foods without pain or getting stuck. Tonight when I lay down will be the true test for the reflux problem. Keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

I can relate Jessiemcs, I'm not too sure that we didn't have the same Dr. My Dr. left also w/o notification to me. Now I'm in the same situation. I need the band out and the original Dr. has gone and now I have to get another one. To me, this can be a little scary.