Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard a few people note how often people post with issues but not nearly often enough about their success. Those people were right, and those of who are having success with the band need to post our stories. People need to see the good as much, if not more, than the bad.

Today, when I was driving my son to school, I realized my car seat position just wasn't working anymore. I smiled, because I remembered how just four short months ago my tummy was literally pressed against the steering wheel when I drove. Now, despite the fact I lowered the steering wheel (tilt steering) and I've moved my seat up- I still have at least 8 inches between my tummy and the steering wheel.

That got me thinking "wow that's a biggie NSV!" Then I realized I've had many, so, here's mine:

-Tummy no longer touches the steering wheel when I drive, with lots of room to spare and move.

-85 pounds ago, I could barely walk into a store from a handicapped spot let alone around the store itself. Aside from being obese, I also have Multiple Sclerosis, and the combination of the two made mobility VERY difficult and painful. Now, I stopped using my handicapped tag, and I can easily walk through the entire mall (repeatedly, with my kids lol). Losing weight has relieved so much stress from my legs muscles, it's even significantly helped my MS spasticity.

-I am chaperoning my son's field trip to the zoo next week because now I know I can handle that much walking. Before I was banded, I wouldn't have even made it to the zoo entrance let alone walking around the zoo all day with a bunch of 4th graders.

-My cane sits in my car trunk totally unused. I don't need it anymore.

-I have dropped over 4 clothing sizes.

-I saw my dad and nephew for the first time in a year recently. My dad was floored how good I look. My 11yr old nephew told my brother (who told me) "Dad you should see Aunt Mis, she looks so different and so good now".

I still have a long ways to go with my weight loss journey, but I know I'll get there.

These are my NSV stories, what's yours? Please share! :)

Congrats Mis!!!! That is very commendable! The steering wheel NSV is outstanding!

My 1st NSV (Im only 2 months post op) is that my rings fit loose now. they rotate around my fingers with ease and room now! Im looking forward to looser clothes ... but 1 step at a time

That's awesome Mis73! Here's a few of my nonscale victories:

1. I can use the smallest towel in the house that no one would use before AND it wraps around me now!

2. My work chair prior to surgery was on the lowest setting with my legs, uncrossed, touching the underside on my desk. Now I am on the highest setting and I CAN cross my legs with room to spare!

3. I can take a bath without filling the Water to the top of the tub. Before I filled it to the very top and my belly was still sticking out of the water!

4.My goal was to get into a size 12 pants. I am now the proud owner of 3 pairs of 6's!.

5. The other day a friend of mine saw me on my morning walk with my 2 friends. She asked who was the chubby one lagging behind. This time it wasn't me who was the chubby one and lagging behind!

Today is my 15 months anniversary and I am down 88 pounds. This was the greatest thing I have ever done for myself!

Congrats Mis!!!! That is very commendable! The steering wheel NSV is outstanding!

My 1st NSV (Im only 2 months post op) is that my rings fit loose now. they rotate around my fingers with ease and room now! Im looking forward to looser clothes ... but 1 step at a time

I agree, one step at a time. Anything fitting looser after only 2 months is great!!

you are so right regarding the recent posting of positivity...i post my victories weekly in my blog:) here are a few of them...

i can see my primary care doc every 6 months instead of twice a month to check my sugars because they are now in control

i got rid of all the pre-surgery prescribed medications in my cabinet

i can exercise for over an hour and still be alive

i say no to breads, candies, cakes, and donuts

i'm smaller size and weight (204 today and probably a size 18 down from a 24)

i have more energy

you are so right regarding the recent posting of positivity...i post my victories weekly in my blog:) here are a few of them...

i can see my primary care doc every 6 months instead of twice a month to check my sugars because they are now in control

i got rid of all the pre-surgery prescribed medications in my cabinet

i can exercise for over an hour and still be alive

i say no to breads, candies, cakes, and donuts

i'm smaller size and weight (204 today and probably a size 18 down from a 24)

i have more energy

That is awesome, congratulations!! I think the fact you're off all those meds and your blood sugar is under control is a HUGE NSV!!!

Thank you for posting your NSV's. I've been on a 9 week plateau and it is so easy to get discouraged and down. Seeing the NSV's make me stop and think about how far I've come already and it gives me the kick in the pants to continue to perservere. I will conquer this plateau.

My NSV's to date:

-I have energy to play with my 5 year old son, instead of sitting and watching him play I get involved.

-I no longer have sleep apnea

-I no longer take my diabetes meds

-latest blood test showed my cholesterol was perfect as opposed to dangerously high

-I went from a size 22 to a 14 and some of those are loose.

-I don't view clothes shopping as a punishment anymore. I now have too many options to choose from, which I have to admit is a bit intimidating for me. I was so used to hating the styles for "big" people and having to pick the least offensive of them. Choices were limited no decisions necessary. Now that isn't the case. I have to pick and choose since I can't take them all home. :) I like it.

Thanks again for sharing your NSV's, it reminds me to take stock in what I've accomplished instead of focusing on the scale which shows me that I've accomplished nothing in 9 weeks. :(

Congrats to all your NSV's. I remebr when I was actively loosing, I couldn't figure out why I had trbl reaching the gas peddle in the car. Felt like someone had moved it too far back! I, also, enjoyed the 1st time I did not recognize myself in the overhead mirrors when shopping.

Great idea to post these Mis! Great job everyone!! These posts will be so encouraging to those thinking about it, those who have just had surgery and those stuck in a plateau and hopefully to those who've given up! I'm 6 weeks post op and am so glad I had the surgery and can't wait to see what life brings! Here are a few of mine:

With you post Mis it just dawned on me why my driving felt weird yesterday and I keep killing my car!! I need to move my seat up!! WooHoo!! lol

Down 2 pants sizes!

Wearing clothes I haven't worn in probably 3-4 years!

Rarely feel hungry and feel satisfied on a small amount!

No more heartburn!

Already easier to put my shoes and socks on!

Feeling great and so glad I'm on this journey!!

I have to laugh at how many have had the car thing happen to them too! LOL!

@TracyC- your health has improved so dramatically because of your weight loss. That is simply AMAZING. I bet your doctor is thrilled, too!

@kll724- I can't wait until I don't recognize myself anymore!

@Ladybug28- You're doing wonderful! Don't forget to move your car seat up next time you drive ;)

today is one year banded for me. i've lost 100 pounds and the nsv's are amazing.

-i had to change my car seat location to move it forward. my seat belt is no longer super tight on me, so i can move when i'm strapped in

-i no longer neat a seat belt extension on flights! that was a huge nsv for me.

-i walk and walk and walk and don't get tired the way i used to, so i can keep up with my friends.

-i can sit in my chair at work and my legs aren't forced into the seat. the armrests of the chairs don't leave marks on me any longer

....the same with movie theatre seats

-i can cross my legs comfortably

-i have gone from a size 28 in tops/30 in bottoms to a size 16 in tops/18 in bottoms. i haven't been this size since high school.

on a side note, i have been going through my closets and cleaning them out. i ran across a box dated 6 years ago that i had made a note on that read "do not open unless you lose 50 pounds". in this box, i had some of my favorite skirts and tops from 6 years ago. well, i opened the box this past weekend and the clothes in it are now TOO BIG for me. I have surpassed my "skinny clothes" box. HUGE NSV for me.

-I used to wear XXXL and XXXXL t-shirts. now i can wear XL and some L sized shirts. I can even wear some of my DH's t-shirts...not that he's happy about me wearing his clothes, but I can!

-My DH who was initially against me having this surgery because he was happy with the way I was feels like he has a new wife. I have energy to do all the things he likes to do, i.e. museums, riding bikes, taking walks, just being together. He has been a huge support and comfort to me this past year and I'm glad that he has a healthier wife to spend time with!

there so many NSV's, it's difficult to name them all. they have kept me going even when the scale itself wasn't moving.

Great job!!!

This is an awesome thread and helps!

My NSVs so far:

The steering wheel thing. I actually had just reached the point where my belly was touching the wheel pre-surgery. Not anymore. :)

Clothes are already getting baggy

My blood pressure has gone down

Aches and pains have almost disappeared

Can paint my own toenails again

I've lost 25 pounds so far. Only 80 or 90 to go!

I so needed to read these right now. I had surgery 2/20/12 and doing great band wise. Mentally I am really struggling with "have I done the right thing"!? I know that I am healthier... just wishing I had a healthier mind... and I have always been the positive one...LOL Here are my nsv...

Loving the clothes I once hated

Being able to run with my kids

Being able to lay on the couch with the hubby

No more exhaustion from sleep apnea... a nap is now just a nap... 10 min and I am refreshed

Painting my toenails easier

My 9 year old loves being able to wrap her arms around me and they touch

I can handle the heat a lot better

Thanks for posting this, helped me remember why I did this and that I am getting healthier (someday my mind will catch up :)