Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is my 1 year bandiversary and I am 100 pounds from where I was a year ago. I never thought I could lose that much weight in one year, even with the band. I thought I would be successful and feel better if I could lose just 50 pounds, and when I lost 50 pounds I DID feel like a million bucks.

I still have a lot of weight to lose to reach the state of not being obese, but honestly if I stay at this weight that I am currently, I am ok with that. I started this journey as a size 28 in tops, size 30 in bottoms and could barely walk a flight of stairs without becoming winded.

I am currently in a size 16 top/ size 18 bottom. I haven't been in those sizes since high school, and we are coming up on my 20 year reunion this year.

I went from wearing XXXL and XXXXL shirts to wearing some XL and L size shirts. I can actually wear some of my husband's t-shirts and it's overwhelming to me every time I put something on that looks a little small and it fits.

I walk everywhere now and I do not get winded or tired. I have seemingly endless supplies of energy and most importantly, I am not controlled by food any longer. I used to think about food all day long. when is my next meal? when are we going to eat? what are we going to eat when we are finished eating this. My hungry head monster has silenced.

I have had zero fills, so my band is exactly the way it was the day it was installed, and I don't feel like i need a fill. I'm eating like a normal person, eating normal portions. I haven't had to stop eating foods that I like, i just eat less of them and I never go back for seconds...... or thirds, or fourths :P

I eat chocolate every now and again, McDonald's, fancy restaurants, junk food....but all of these are in moderation and not on a daily basis like they used to be. I haven't told anyone about the surgery except for my DH, so when I go out with friends once a month, and I order fries or something off of the menu, they don't monitor what i'm eating or wonder if i've had surgery. I just eat a few bites of this or that and i'm done. no more fries for another month and my friends are none the wiser.

i realize that telling or not telling is a big debate around here, and i don't want to debate that. i simply just made the choice that was right for me and in the end, that is what we are all doing isn't it? having surgery because it is right for us?

so anyway, i didn't want to go on and on, i just wanted to thank everyone in this community for sharing their triumphs, struggles and tips with me over this last year. they made a difference and they helped me shed 100 pounds. I can't wait to see what the next year holds for me.

You have done so well and I am so happy for you! Whooo Hooo! It's time for your 100 pound reward!

What will it be?

wow! amazing! i see you have also had no fills! happy 100 and happy bandiversary!

Congratulations to you on this amazing accomplishment. My question...how is it that you have not had any fills? I was under the impression that the dr's start filling them whether we think we're ready or not. I don't get my first fill until the 24th so I'm just wondering how you were able to convince your dr not to give you any fills.

Congrats again!!!!

Wow, Dawn, that's amazing. My dream is to write an email just like yours when I hit one year. I too started off thinking if I only lost 50lbs I'd be fine. I'm hoping for more, but it feels like a pipe dream. But maybe not. Congratulations to you!!!!

That is AWESOME! Congratulations!!

CONGRATS!!!! 100 lbs with NO FILL?!!! That is AMAZING! You are on the road to a healthier life, for life! Stick with it and we're so proud of you!!! :wub:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'll try to answer your questions...

@humming bird My 100 pound reward you ask? Well, when I lost 50 pounds, I decided that I could probably lose more, so I booked a cruise for my DH and myself. In September, we will be going this cruise, and not only that, but we will be doing some activities that have a weight limit. I am under that weight limit now, so that's what has really kept me motivated...knowing that if i don't get under a certain weight I won't be able to do a certain activity, and i want to enjoy our cruise with wild abandon.

@phatkatblue, sunshyne068, & letubu- thanks for the congratulations. very kind of y'all

@brlgirl- I haven't had any fills because I haven't needed them. When i go for doctors appointments, they weigh me and see that i'm on track and ask me about my eating habits and if i feel i'm eating too much or too little. I feel that I am in my personal green zone and therefore don't feel as if I need fills. They won't make me get them if i don't think i need them.

@SashaWLS- you can do it. don't put too much pressure on yourself, don't look at the scale every single day, allow yourself a day to "cheat" or eat what might not be the best food choices, drink lots and lots and lots of Water B)

That's incredible! I was banded 2 weeks ago and I'm puching for 50 by New Year's. I'm at 20 now, but your story is incredibly motivating for me p

Whoops, posted too soon! Congratulations and enjoy that cruise!!!

you can totally do 50 pounds by new year's. it is absolutely attainable......and thanks, i plan to enjoy my cruise to the fullest...and possibly drop a few more pounds by then. ;)

Congrats! Today is my one year bandiversary as well and I'm 75 lbs down and feeling great! I hope to be OVER 100 lbd down by my husbands 30th Bday (which is Aug 3).

And I agree with all the advice you've given! I allow myself to eat chocolate and goodies if I want to- the difference now is I eat a couple bites instead of a couple slices/pieces/servings! I just got into my green zone last month (I think I'm up to 8 cc in an 11 cc band) and I've had a few plateaus here and there but my doc is still pleased with my progress!

Before I got my surgery my doc told me he was very confident in my ability to lose weight with the band bc I already knew what to do and I was motivated to exercise (granted that was harder to get into than I wanted) and I didn't wan to let him down! Im so glad that I haven't!

Way to go Erin!

I absolutely did not choose this surgery to give up the good things in life like chocolate and brownies. I couldn't live without it every once in a while...but yes, as you said, the difference is i might have a bite or two of a slice of cake and not the entire cake. i can't really believe the quantities of food i used to eat and not only that, but i can't believe the feeling of constantly being hungry has gone completely. i now know what hunger feels like...i eat and then i'm done, for HOURS instead of minutes! The band, yeah, it's a tool, but it has been a lifesaver for me and has helped me tremendously with will power that I simply didn't have before.

So, congrats again on your loss thus far and may you lose the weight you want to lose by the time his B-day rolls around.

Nice... you are giving me hope :)

You are giving me hope too. Thank you for your post and CONGRATULATIONS!! I've been pretty diligent about diet and exercise in the last year, more so than ever in my life and it's been discouraging not to lose much weight (read 19 lbs since Oct) so I am awaiting my band date (probably in June) and the tool it will give me to continue the road I'm on. I love how you said tool. You are inspirational. Congrats again!!