Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Skinny People Treated Better?

Just throwing this out there...

It seems as though the thinner I get the nicer people are to me. I know it sounds rude but it's true. When I'm at the grocery store the workers go over and offer me a cart and while shopping workers say hello and offer to help me more. It really does feel as though people are nicer and more helpful to me now that I'm thin!

Anyone else experience this?

yes, i have, alothough i still have a ways to go i deffiently notice a diffrence in the way im treated, but on the other side i think it has allot to do with the way we put ourselves out their, as ive lost the weight i seam more confident and i am more outgoing, so ive been told

I believe so inave seen research that kids would rather have one arm then be fat, but I can't blame them. people r mean to fat people. I'm at my heaviest I have been in about 4 yrs and at 180lbs I'm treated differently. It doesn't matter how healthy I eat or how physically active I am I get the comments all the time like "I don't understand how a vegetarian keeps on weight" or I'm compared to other fat people, or. I had I guy tell me how big my calfs were the other day! People r mean to big girls! May 9 th can't come soon enough!

I hate auto correct! Lol calfs

It must just be where you live because I have never been treated differently here in Florida. At 285 I was treated no different then what I am now. I dont think over weight people get treated differently because they make up 65% of the population

YES!! Also, better looking people are treated differently. They have done a lot of studies to prove this. And, if you look around in the business world, you will notice there are not a lot of short, heavy people in the forefront. We are considered the worker bees to be in the background and do the heavy work. I am glad to have come out of the background after loosing 100 lbs. Part of the reason I started this journey was because I didn't want to be known as the "fat Lady" at church. I was anonymous and a lot of people don't recognize that I was the "lady". Karen

I live in the DC area, the country's healthiest city! Lots of competition up here. I will keep my physically active lifestyle now I just want to look the part

I haven't been treated mean as much as just not seen! I have lost weight, like 70 lbs twice (course I gained it right back, hence the band) and when im thin people look at me, smile at me, open doors for me etc. when I'm heavy no one is really rude, they just don't see me. There have been many studies on this. I even remember tyra banks putting on her fat suit and being shocked at how invincible she was!

Definitely!!!! I can't say I was treated mean when I was fat, but I can say people are more sociable with me now that I am normal weight.

I also have to say that I am more outward with people, not having those old bad self esteem feelings.

Also, I have to admit, now that I am slim and fit, I am always checking out fat people with more scrutiny....not in mean way, but I find myself watching them struggling getting out of car, notice how short of breath they are trying to speak after doing something minimally physical.

I suppose it is the same thing as being a ex-smoker...watching people huddled outside the office building in the cold weather just to get a smoke break....

I think it is I feel sorry for them, things will not get better, only worse for them, remembering how bad I felt, and know that there are things they can do to rectify their situation.

I have a slightly different take on it because I never got above a BMI of 35, which in the adult world isn't really fat enough to stand out. Oh, I was barely overweight as a teen, but I sure copped it then because I wasn't 5ft tall and 90lb. But as a young mother doing the school socializing thing, nope, I looked like everyone else, shopped like everyone else, wasn't in a glamorous stage of life, wasn't going out and trying to meet guys or getting dressed up for work, none of it. Life was pretty easy from that standpoint and there was always something in the store to fit me, I didn't even TRY to shop at certain stores.

As I got thinner, I noticed I got the cold shoulder a lot in social circles. Those school mums/soccer mums etc were never my besties anyway, just social acquaintances, but I went from fitting right in to people treating me a bit like I thought I was better than them, because I was thin and fit looking.

As my kids have moved on out the public school system, sad but true, a higher socioeconomic environment does mean that less people are fat, it just is. I work now, and mix with people of a wider range of ages, from a wider range of backgrounds. That's made a difference. In fact at the school I'm now at, its a remarkably fit staff, we have lots of runners, gym goers, triathletes in our small staff of 20. And these people have not only never known me fat, but don't even know I lost weight.

I havent noticed a single difference out in the general public in terms of service in shops etc, other than more attention from men in general. My husband thinks its hilarious.

Huge difference! While some on here get surgery at my weight (216), being this weight is a hugggge victory for me. I started out about 380. At my heaviest no one ever opened the door for me and did not go out of the way to hold it open either. Now 99% of the men open/hold the door for me. Some rush ahead to get to the door before me. I got layed off in 2009 and I'm sure I got choosen because I was fat. My boss hated fat people.

Yes, I believe this is true. I also believe employers are sometimes put off by obese people who apply for jobs. It also could be that obese people sometimes do not dress properly for an interview.

Yes, I believe this is true. I also believe employers are sometimes put off by obese people who apply for jobs. It also could be that obese people sometimes do not dress properly for an interview.

You can be sure of that....I have had discussions where they were concerned about current employees due to their obesity....it drives up insurance premiums.

yes.... i have been on both ends and i can tell you that skinny people do get treated differently than larger people.

I, unlike most people here, was not always "large". Until i was in my mid twenties-early thirties.... i was what most would call thin or average. I never weighted over 100lbs except when i was pregnant. My baby boy is 21 today.... after i had him i lost all 35lbs i gained was back to 100lbs in a few months...... Then at about 25 i started gaining and on average i gained about 10lb per year... till i topped out at 223.

When i was smaller, i got every job i applied for and people were nicer and more helpful. As the weight piled on, jobs were harder to get and men stopped opening doors, shop workers stopped helping ... etc.

Two years later.... i actually had a owner of a spa offer me a job and then tell me that she wont hire "fat" people to work for her. I didn't know weather to be happy or punch her in the face. Men practically knock them self down to open doors and help me....

So to answer the question....... most defiantly..... thin people are treated better.

If you had asked me 86 pounds ago, I would have said yes without hesitation. Now I'm not so sure.

I think part of it has to do with how you feel about yourself. Maybe not a large part, but people do pick up on your vibes. So if you're feeling miserable because you're fat, people will sense that and not be as friendly because they don't want to be around a miserable person. For the most part, I haven't noticed people falling all over themselves to be nicer and more helpful, but then again this is Queens :lol: I do notice men holding doors more often, and I swear there was a woman glaring at me out of jealousy at a restaurant once...