Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well Surgery for me is 19 days away!!!OMG i am so terrified that i wont make it through surgery or ill die after..So many ppl around me keep warning me against surgery so now as the day gets closer the more paranoid I am getting...Am I being over stimulated or what?Did anyone else have all kinds of crazy thoughts as ur band day approached? Help me someone calm down my nerves and my mind!!!! I start my pro op diet on the 2nd of May..and Im okay with that part just gotta stop thinking so hard but its tough to do wene your scared of being put to sleep and I have had thoughts of backing completely out of this...PLEASE HELP sooo i dont wimp out!!!!Thanks yall so listening to me..Hope i dont sound to crazy!!!!

You need to take a deep breath and step back for a minute. Remind yourself why you are getting this surgery. You are getting this tool to have a healthier life and body. Don't let others talk you out of this if this is really what you want. Good luck!

Well Surgery for me is 19 days away!!!OMG i am so terrified that i wont make it through surgery or ill die after..So many ppl around me keep warning me against surgery so now as the day gets closer the more paranoid I am getting...Am I being over stimulated or what?Did anyone else have all kinds of crazy thoughts as ur band day approached? Help me someone calm down my nerves and my mind!!!! I start my pro op diet on the 2nd of May..and Im okay with that part just gotta stop thinking so hard but its tough to do wene your scared of being put to sleep and I have had thoughts of backing completely out of this...PLEASE HELP sooo i dont wimp out!!!!Thanks yall so listening to me..Hope i dont sound to crazy!!!!

Ok its very normal to have fears. A few days ago i was laying in bed and almost went into a pure panic bout the surgery. Thing is I look at it this way. While there are risks for any procedure they are less then the risk of you getting injuried in a car accident. You must put all risks in perpespective. Now i cant tell you what will happen if you have the surgery i can tell you the riks of heart diease, Diabeties complication etc.. are VERY high if you dont have the surgery and lost weight. This is a life changing surgery and I personally think it will change all of our lifes for the good. I want to live a long healthy life. I know now when i walk my knees hurt, my back is hurting as i sit here typing. I Know that the fact that im insulin resistance mean i am one step from diabeties and being a nurse i know what that does to your kidneys heart etc... SO While you must make your own choice please dont let anyone freak you out. Think of these riks in perspective...

I understand the freak out. I'm further away from my surgery date than you and I have had my own. However, please remember that this is something that you spent a long time thinking about. You've done your research. You've spoken with the surgeon. This is not a procedure that you are jumping into lightly. For every bad story (that our minds love to remember) there are probably a hundred positive, successful stories. Stay calm and stay focused. If you need the reassurance, call your bariatric team, the psychiatrist if you met with one. I'm sure they are more than happy to help you through this.

breathe! it will be wonderful. I know the exact feeling! i was in your shoes just two weeks ago. you will freak out as you are waiting to go into the OR but when you come out you will be totally relieved! it is fantastic. It has only been a few days for me but already it is wonderful. Granted the liquid diet is going to be a huge try of your self restraint! but after the few days it passes!

Don't stress too much! Alot of people "warned" me against it too but I had it done March 27th and it was over before I knew it! It was very quick/outpatient and the recovery wasn't terrible... just a few days of feeling weak and uncomfortable. I have already lost 31 pounds and I have not even had my first fill yet. You will do great! Just believe in yourself and imagine how happy you will be once you have had it done and are in progress to reaching your weight loss goals. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions or need support/to talk :)

I am having surgery on May 18th. I am a bit scared too. Have you ever had surgery before? I know the first time I was put under was when I was 28 for Oral surgery and I was crazy scared because of what people told me. I made it through that and two other surgeries that required me to be under. I don't know why some people feel the need to scare people. Take a breath and remember if you keep the weight on you the odds of you having bad health issues is far higher than the odds of you having the surgery complications you fear. Please add me and message me if you need support. You can do this. You have obviously researched and found a doctor you feel comfortable with. Hang in there we are here for you. :)

Who tells someone they might die in surgery? First think of who is saying this to you. Are they really concerned about your health? Or are they concerned that fatest person they know will end of being much thinner then they are? Even thin people look at others and say "As long as I am thinner than So And So I'm fine." If somone they think of as fat looses enough weight to match them it causes them emotional trauma. And who wants trauma?

Same here :( obviously very nervous and stressed out, the only thing that is keeping me feel good is all the great success stories I read, see, and hear over the Internet.

I have a lot of friends who think it's the wrong thing to do, especially when they tell me about the people they know whome the band wasn't a success I just feel I don't want to be with these friends anymore, and I'm waiting for the day we'll meet again to see the new me, and prove to all of them I took the right decision.

We will rock :)

I guess in this i am lucky. I have 2 coworkers who did this 2 yrs ago both highly successful. One had slight complications but i asked her even with that would she do it all over again and her answer was a unresounding YES. I do have one coworker who tells me this scares her and worries her. But fact is while any surgery scares me not as much as growing older with this weight and what i know my health in the long run will be.

I think most of us went through this. When I finally told people what I was doing they said the same thing, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!! A lot of these people are the same people that think you are overweight and have no problem letting you know. Guess what, you can die from that too, but obviously they don't get it.

I was freaking out too. Not really sure how I managed to go to the out patient center without running out screaming, but I did. I think it's because I came to the realization that it was either this or waking up over 40 and having other health problems would be just as bad if not worse than possibly dying. And the chances of that are pretty low with this surgery.

Don't worry, on surgery day, they wil give you something to relax... :D and then you'll wake up in the recovery room. B)

My surgery will be coming up in May as well. When I start to freak I call my son who had it done 4 years ago and is a nurse. He tells me to think of all the people who end up having gall bladder surgery....it's no real big deal and in fact some lapband patients end up getting their gall bladder or spleen out at the same time. I also think back to the fact that when he got his surgery, he felt like crap the day he had the surgery. The next day he felt fine except that his incisions were sore. In one year he lost over 200 pounds and has kept it off ever since. So.....I'm trying to think of all the positives and what I witnessed with him. Still a little nervous because I'm a lot older than him but I think all will be well for me and you too!!!!!

here's some things to think about. From a surgical nurse point of view. The surgery is less than a hour long in normal cases you have passed all the pre surgical test prior to surgery. Every one says its a go for surgery. yea sure SOMETHING can happen like you get run over going to the hospital.

Now seriously your wieght is holding you back from enjoying the life you want and deserve. Everyone has done diet after diet and yooyooed up and down.before finally coming to the decision of lap band surgery.

If you decide that you really cant do it then here"s what to expect in your future High blood pressure diabetes your legs cant support your weight so you will be wheel chair bound. then you will need some one to physically take care of you

I had my surgery on April 11 and after the first day I hardly had any pain I didnt take any pain meds . As of today I lost 18 lbs. Its no picnic (lol) but I have a goal and nothing will keep me from it

here's some things to think about. From a surgical nurse point of view. The surgery is less than a hour long in normal cases you have passed all the pre surgical test prior to surgery. Every one says its a go for surgery. yea sure SOMETHING can happen like you get run over going to the hospital.

Now seriously your wieght is holding you back from enjoying the life you want and deserve. Everyone has done diet after diet and yooyooed up and down.before finally coming to the decision of lap band surgery.

If you decide that you really cant do it then here"s what to expect in your future High blood pressure diabetes your legs cant support your weight so you will be wheel chair bound. then you will need some one to physically take care of you

I had my surgery on April 11 and after the first day I hardly had any pain I didnt take any pain meds . As of today I lost 18 lbs. Its no picnic (lol) but I have a goal and nothing will keep me from it

Thanks ! Exactly what I / we need all to hear..,

I was also terrified. But I did it, and I've lost 26 pounds in 3 weeks and recovery wasn't that hard (besides some emotional stuff)... Definitely feel this was the right decision for me.