Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant And Finally Losing Weight Like Crazy! Hormonal??

Posting this here becasue it really has nothing to do with pregnancy. I was banded in October 2011. I had 3 fills putting my at 8.5cc's in my 10cc band. I had good restriction, exercised 5 days a week, logged everything that went in my mouth and never went over 1000-1200 calories. I couldn't lose a single pound! SERIOUSLY! The scale wouldn't budge. Fast forward to January. All of a sudden weight starts falling off. I thought well finally my body is cooperrating. I found out 8lbs and 4 weeks later that I was pregnant. Since then I am down 27lbs. I am currently 15 weeks. I was remembering back to my last pregnancy without the band and I also lost weight then instead of gainning. As soon as I had my son my weight shot up. It was crazy! I weight 10lbs more 2 weeks after his birth and I was breastfeeding. Has this happened with anyone else. Is it some kind of hormonal imbalance? If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them! TIA!

~Allison

I heard that certain hormone levels in the 1st trimester of pregnancy make you lose weight .... not sure how true it is though. HCG or HCC or something to that effect

OK here is what I think- but I am far from being a doctor- just with having lost weight and logging everything - I think this maybe a reason. I think that when pregnant your body is having to work harder - just naturally work harder with all the things it has to do to support a baby -- so in doing that you are burning more calories on top of your normal everyday and exercise without knowing it. So your 1200- 1000 calories minus what you normally burn in a day, and what you burn exercising is acutally lower than you usually take in bc you burned the calories supporting the pregnancy. Which might mean- that ulitmately your body to lose needs to have more burned off - so after the baby you might need to lower calories or try and burn off more -- My body is the same way- if i consistantly eat between 1200-1000 calories even with working out- i stall or gain weight... I know it just doesnt seem fair- but I have now realized this and i have to go below that to lose... Best of luck with you baby! Very happy for you and wish you the best during your pregnancy and on the weight loss after!