Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant And Finally Losing Weight Like Crazy! Hormonal??

Posting this here becasue it really has nothing to do with pregnancy. I was banded in October 2011. I had 3 fills putting my at 8.5cc's in my 10cc band. I had good restriction, exercised 5 days a week, logged everything that went in my mouth and never went over 1000-1200 calories. I couldn't lose a single pound! SERIOUSLY! The scale wouldn't budge. Fast forward to January. All of a sudden weight starts falling off. I thought well finally my body is cooperrating. I found out 8lbs and 4 weeks later that I was pregnant. Since then I am down 27lbs. I am currently 15 weeks. I was remembering back to my last pregnancy without the band and I also lost weight then instead of gainning. As soon as I had my son my weight shot up. It was crazy! I weight 10lbs more 2 weeks after his birth and I was breastfeeding. Has this happened with anyone else. Is it some kind of hormonal imbalance? If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them! TIA!

~Allison

I heard that certain hormone levels in the 1st trimester of pregnancy make you lose weight .... not sure how true it is though. HCG or HCC or something to that effect

OK here is what I think- but I am far from being a doctor- just with having lost weight and logging everything - I think this maybe a reason. I think that when pregnant your body is having to work harder - just naturally work harder with all the things it has to do to support a baby -- so in doing that you are burning more calories on top of your normal everyday and exercise without knowing it. So your 1200- 1000 calories minus what you normally burn in a day, and what you burn exercising is acutally lower than you usually take in bc you burned the calories supporting the pregnancy. Which might mean- that ulitmately your body to lose needs to have more burned off - so after the baby you might need to lower calories or try and burn off more -- My body is the same way- if i consistantly eat between 1200-1000 calories even with working out- i stall or gain weight... I know it just doesnt seem fair- but I have now realized this and i have to go below that to lose... Best of luck with you baby! Very happy for you and wish you the best during your pregnancy and on the weight loss after!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches