Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People Tell Me To Stop Loosing.

SSo I'm down 112 lbs from a yr ago & feel great but I'm 22 lbs from goal of 150 lbs. People keep telling me I should stop loosing bc I look like I would blow away if I lost another 22 lbs. I just don't see what they r talking about! ? I'm still a size 12/14 & wearing lg shirt I think I could stand to lose more than 22 lbs but I'm trying to be realistic. Ne else face this dilemma?

Yes, from my doctors. Yet, im a teacher and today we got our school photos back, there me in the stff photo, just a face in the crowd, not big, not small, just normal.

Ithink it freaks people whn they have known you heavy.

I have the same problem my band surgeon says dont lose any more weight my plastic surgeon says see if u can drop a few more lbs before the op .. i have a few lbs to go till my goal but my band surgeon says i will loose too much weight if i have all the skin removed, my family see my thin face and say u have lost enough but i am not convinced yet, i will see after i recover from my marathon plastic surgery.. At the end of the day it is you that has to live with yourself and be happy in your own skin, so the decision is yours, just dont go below the normal bmi range, if u still want to lose weight aftrer u hit normal bmi then u know u got a problem with self perception :)

I think people are so used to seeing overweight/obese people that they no longer know what normal looks like.

It is a dilemma....friends have been telling me for some time now I can stop loosing...I look fine.

My Dr.s don't say that at all. As a matter of fact they ask me if I think I can loose more or not.

But this goes back to when I did not have the surgery at all, and we would talk about what my goal weight should be. No one had a good answer, and we would discuss certain things like how much did you weigh when you graduated HS, or when you got out of the service, etc, etc. No one knew for sure, because peoples body makeups are different. It's more than height and weight.

BMI's at a point, mean absolutely nothing! Sure their OK when your way up there, but when you start getting within a few lbs here and there...it is more about your body composition than anything, as in "Muscle Mass"

Last Years Super Bowl there was a running back for NE that is the same height as me, but actually weighs 10 lbs more!!!! I would not call him fat or overweight, and his BMI is higher than mine.

I'm not saying I'm a NFL Athlete, just that there is something to be said optimal weight goals.

I wen through this, people will get usd to the smaller you! Loose what you feel comfortable with. I like a 140 me, my surgeon suggested a 150 me. Maintenance brought me to somewher in between. Best wishes. Karen

I think people are so used to seeing overweight/obese people that they no longer know what normal looks like.

THATS WHAT MY DR SAID

I had this exact same conversation with several friends at dancing tonight. Two guys both told me not to lose any more weight or I would be too thin. Too thin for whom? For what? Neither of them asked about my health, my blood pressure or cholesterol levels. Both assumed that because I was sick with a gastro last week that is was because I had lost too much weight!

Then another friend asked how much more I planned to lose. She wasn't suggesting that I needed to stop losing but it was just one too many and I replied that I wondered why people felt it was okay to discuss when I should stop losing weight yet no one had ever said that I should stop gaining weight!

Most people in my life have only ever seen me when I was morbidly obese so I understand that they have to get used to the new me....so do I. But I have to find a weight that is both healthy and comfortable for me to live with and that will be my decision and no one else's.

<shrugs> nobody has to buy my clothes but me. Nobody has to live in my body but me so therefore nobody can say anything about my weight but me. Guess I'm the exception. Nobody has been negative to me.

I GET COMMENTS ALL THE TIME. I WONDER WHAT MAKES PEOPLE FEEL SO FREE TO GIVE THEIR UNSOLICITED OPINION. I DON'T THINK THEY WANT TO HEAR MINE. I AGREE THAT WE ARE SO USED TO OVERWEIGHT THAT NORMAL BMI LOOKS SICKLY. I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD KEEP THEIR OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES AND I WILL DO THE SAME. LUCKY FOR THEM! LOL

I GET COMMENTS ALL THE TIME. I WONDER WHAT MAKES PEOPLE FEEL SO FREE TO GIVE THEIR UNSOLICITED OPINION. I DON'T THINK THEY WANT TO HEAR MINE. I AGREE THAT WE ARE SO USED TO OVERWEIGHT THAT NORMAL BMI LOOKS SICKLY. I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD KEEP THEIR OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES AND I WILL DO THE SAME. LUCKY FOR THEM! LOL

Hmmm...I had a coworker ask me to promise her I would stop losing when she told me it was time. I just laughed at her and asked, "Do you mind if I get below 200 first?"

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one facing this dilemma. Tonight I was talking with one of the doctors I work with and he said "good grief it seems like you've dropped more weight since I saw you last week! What is your ultimate goal?!" I discussed with him my goal weight of 150 lbs and that I'm still 22 lbs away and he was the first one to say "That is a healthy weight and a very realistic goal" I was like FINALLY someone gets it! I'm not trying to be 98 lbs here... just healthy :)

I just went for my one year appt and discussed this with my doctor. My BMI is 26 right now and im at 170. His original goal was 160 and I would be at normal BMI at 164. But he said that I didnt need to lose anymore, but that if I did, he wanted me to lose it with exercise and not dieting. I admitted I was not being the best at exercising in the past couple of months.

Put I find myself in a pickle because I do not want to get an unfil and I cant eat more than I do right now. So im sure I will lose a little bit more. Im finnaly really good with this fill, just got it to the perfect spot... Most everyone is saying I should stop as well. It is a mind trip for sure. once obese and now normal. once cant stop gaining and now cant stop losing. WEIRD!!!

My other person favorite I hear just as much as this "so now that you are skinny are you gonna have them take it out so you can eat normal again" :wacko:

My other person favorite I hear just as much as this "so now that you are skinny are you gonna have them take it out so you can eat normal again" :wacko:

yeah, we just a bunch of freaks now that we have the band. definataly not normal!!!