Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 7/1/2010....self-pay, so I go to dr. as little as possible....340.00 per fill session really hurts! I lost 35 pounds, got too aggressive with fills....wanted to get the most for my money.....never really followed any plan....threw up.....reflux.....Stomach prolapse/band slippage.....had all of Fluid removed in August 2011.....gained back all weight....went back and endoscopy showed stomach back in place, so they put in .5 cc on February 24, 2012. Since then, I'm having a hard time with really bad reflux again.

What next? Do I figure out what I was supposed to do all along and didn't or have I failed again and need to take out the band and move on? Is it possible that the fatigue, Hair loss, and burning in my chest means that my body is "rejecting" the band like I've seen some people write about? I'm lost and frustrated....need guidance!!!

I will say talk to your doctor....If someone knows you, is them....

I too have very bad reflux at night. So I don't eat after 7 and following a blander diet nothing sour nothing spicy ect hopeful this will help I really have to watch portions too. Oh and I only have 3.5 cc in 10 cc band. This all started after second fill of 1 cc.

GIVE UP?!! Is that really an option!! I hope I'm never in a spot where I actually would say "I GIVE UP" !!. I would march myself back into the doctors office and work on getting the reflux taken care of....Are you taking any medication for it? Have you tried adjusting your diet to lessen the effects?

I really can understand the thought that more is better when it comes to fills....I could see myself a little like that. But you have learned that that isn't the case. So I guess I'm trying to say if you never really did what you were supossed to, the way you were supossed to,....then I wouldn't call it giving up....it doesn't sound like you have started!! So go ahead and tap back into the spirit that made you want to get the band in the first place. And this time, using your new found wisdom....commit to the lifestyle. watch what you eat....see your doctor regularly and follow the rules.

You will probably find that as you loose the weight your reflux will get better and that will encourage you to continue on.

Good Luck!! I know this is something you can do!!!

Get to your Doctor and Don't wait, they will probably do a barium swallow, to see what is going on....

Don't wait, I just went through this, and I had a prolapse above the band and they fixed it right away that was last friday and I fell 100% better after several months thinking it would gt better.... I am moving on and eat they way I am suppose, I will play by the rules... Get to your Doctor.... Girll !!

First, check some other local bariatric docs who might take your case for less money. $340 sounds outrageous to me. I know that here in Denver, there are a few docs who will take on clients who have had surgery elsewhere for a minimal fee. Check it out?

I'm shocked at the cost of a fill at $300+, too. I was very fortunate that insurance covered my surgery 100%, but due to a job loss...no more insurance. I called my doctor to see what a fill would be now that I'm self-pay. $150, which to me is reasonable.

Thanks for your reply and enthusiasm. I need it! I ended up in the ER on Tuesday….severe burning in chest….vomiting until I passed out. The ER is not at the hospital where I had my surgery. After ruling out a heart attack, among other tests, they checked for gall bladder issues……all clear. I was prescribed Nexium which I have been taking for four days now. I’m still having to take Pepcid AC with just about everything I eat. I’ve definitely changed my diet because I’m afraid to eat anything that has any flavor.

Plan: 1. Call my surgeon at UVA and set up an appointment for another barium swallow.

MY issues with step 1: I share these so that you all might see how “crazy” my thinking is and help me put my insanity into perspective!

Fear: What if the band has slipped again? Will it have to be removed? Where will I find the money for all of this?

Shame: The last time I was there, I was determined that I was going to eat less, chew, etc. The nutritionist sent me some menu options in the mail. How do I go in there and say that her time was wasted because of my bad habits?

Questions that you all may be able to answer from your experiences:

1. Is it possible to have this type of reflux without slippage?

2. If I do get the all clear, do I proceed with another .5 cc fill, or do I wait…..

I JUST HAD AN AH-HAH MOMENT!!!!! I have been doing that thing that I have done all my FAT life……I’ve been thinking that I’ll wait until I succeed some on another diet plan before I go back….DUH! I have a tool; I’m paying big money back on a loan, and instead of working with it, I’m doing the same ole’ “I’ll join Weight Watchers AGAIN” crap in my head. How do I make it stop….these old ways of thinking. All I have ever been is fat and on a diet. It is hard to “undo” 40 plus years of bad thinking and habits!

….???? I do not know what the “sweet spot” feels like.

3. What do I do now? Remember: I am like an infant here. Break it down for me. What do I eat? When do I eat? Do I need to go back to all liquids for a while? Where do I begin?

4. How often do people who are not self-pay go back to their doctors for follow-up, etc.? I have no clue what I’m doing here!!!!

I'm shocked at the cost of a fill at $300+, too. I was very fortunate that insurance covered my surgery 100%, but due to a job loss...no more insurance. I called my doctor to see what a fill would be now that I'm self-pay. $150, which to me is reasonable.

Very interesting. I agreed to this up front when I had the surgery. I thought it was what everyone was paying. Supply and demand, maybe? I'll have to explore more to see if any more options are out there in this area. Thanks for the information.

GIVE UP?!! Is that really an option!! I hope I'm never in a spot where I actually would say "I GIVE UP" !!. I would march myself back into the doctors office and work on getting the reflux taken care of....Are you taking any medication for it? Have you tried adjusting your diet to lessen the effects?

I really can understand the thought that more is better when it comes to fills....I could see myself a little like that. But you have learned that that isn't the case. So I guess I'm trying to say if you never really did what you were supossed to, the way you were supossed to,....then I wouldn't call it giving up....it doesn't sound like you have started!! So go ahead and tap back into the spirit that made you want to get the band in the first place. And this time, using your new found wisdom....commit to the lifestyle. watch what you eat....see your doctor regularly and follow the rules.

You will probably find that as you loose the weight your reflux will get better and that will encourage you to continue on.

Good Luck!! I know this is something you can do!!!

I have been on Nexium since my visit to ER and the reflux now seems to be gone all the way. I have changed my diet also, but I can tolerate some spice, etc. now whereas I couldn't before. I went back to my surgeon on Friday. I now have 2.5 cc in my band. I've done the liquid and now mush through today as advised by the nurse who did the fill. I am supposed to go back in one month. In the meantime, I'm trying to get this thing started. Do you have set times that you eat during the day, or do you just follow your hunger? Any advice is appreciated.