Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crying During Preop Diet...anyone?

Has anyone else found themselves in tears during their pre-op liquid diet?

Im on day 3 and twice today i was bawling...1st was when hubby made Breakfast for him and my son..waffles and bacon (i dont like either thing so u would think it was all good) however the smell of bacon I loveee lol. I got up and went into my bedroom to get away from the smell...and i dont know if I was feeling lonely becasue i had to go sit alone to avoid the temptation, or if it was frustration, sadness, i couldnt tell ya..but i laid there and cried for about 15 mins...sobbing, not just crocodile tears.

then about an hour ago...i told them they should still go to Breakfast tomorrow (its our every sunday routine) they asked if i was sure i was ok with it and i said yes..and i meant it...they then started talking about what they wanted to have...they named off waffles pancakes bacon...again, things i dont even eat...they werent purposely taunting me, but i had to stop them cuz as they were saying it, the tears welled up again .... i didnt sob as hard but i still had them building up for a few mins. They both gave me a hug and said they were sorry. I dont fault them..they have to change certain things too, in order to try and make things easier on me.

So please tell me im not over emotional and that others have had at least one "meltdown".

I am going to compare this to another time in my life where I had to make a big change. I did cry then, I had such a hard time coming to terms with the fact- not drinking alcohol ever again. As time went on I stopped looking at my whole life but one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.

this is a big change you are making. it is a change that you are making, not your family. Everyone eats and you will be smelling food forever more! start to think about the changes you are going to experience once your body changes. It will be a bigger high than the smells of the family breakfast, really it will be much better!!

I try not to think only of weight loss. I have experienced a great loss of inches since I started this life. I also can exercise & walk so well now. I don't get winded, I don't feel the same aches and pains.

Is all of this worth it??

I'm surprised how emotional I've been. I cried a couple of times during the last 3 days of recovery "for no reason" that I could put my finger on. This is a big deal. I think there is a lot of emotion that will come up.

But I would have a talk with your husband about how he can better support you. For the short term, I'd consider asking him not to talk about food in front of you. It sounds like it's a hot button issue for you, and he will hopefully help make things easier, not harder, if you tell him what's going on inside your head...

For me, it was alcohol... I made my DH put everything in storage and asked that we keep a dry house for a few months... We usually had a scotch or two (or some other drink) before bed every night, and I knew I'd feel really left out if he were drinking when I couldn't...

I was very emotinal the first couple of days after surgery. I will cry because i was hungry and all i could have was liquids and seeing my son's eat food got me angry at myself. But that all changed because I sat with them and told them about how i felt and let them know that those days was very hard for me to deal with them eating and i was on liquids and they understood that very well..

I got sick to my stomach earlier today from smelling the lunch my husband fixed for our twins. I had to go to my room to get away from the smell. I didn't mind the time alone, because I dont get it much with 4 girls from 14 to 5 in my home, a husband whom is home from working out of town and a puppy. I layed in bed and watched a complete movie. (never happens)

Next time you are feeling left out or lonely........go take a nice long warm good smelling bath. Leave your husband and son to wonder where you are...

i didnt have the crying problem but i notice im much more emotional when my blood sugar drops, which it does quickly if im not eating enough Protein or have had too much sugar. Then Im shaky and feel like " waaaaah !!!!!! !' I dont know what you're eating on your pre-op diet , but you might want to make sure you're having a balanced diet to keep your blood sugar level. Check w/ your Dr. or nutritionist if you have any questions. Good luck !

I was a bit emotional, too ... Thinking I would never eat like a normal person again and really just very scared about that. But take my word for it, you DO get to eat like a truly normal person again, and with the band, it is satisfying. If you're at all like me, you're skeptical about that, but it's true. I think this is the first time in my life when a small amount of food is enough ... And not in the way of diet pills making you not hungry. Just a sense of "that's enough." Keep this in mind, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I joined this forum 2 years before I took the plunge. Had surgery Jan 18 of this year and it has been wonderful. Wish I hadn't waited so long!

I didn't mind the time alone, because I dont get it much with 4 girls from 14 to 5 in my home, a husband whom is home from working out of town and a puppy.

OMG and I thought MY life was busy!!!! 4 girls and a puppy? Nuts! :-) What kind of puppy? Puppies are cuuuuute!! I grew up with Yellow Labs, but haven't had one as an adult... I miss that...

I know exactly how you feel. I am on day 4 of liquids only and the first 2 days were so hard. the first day I cried because I was hungry, the second day I cried 6 times for absolutely no reason. It was very hard. I was feeling so vulnerable, but the third and fourth day has been much better, and I'm not feeling like i'm starving.

Today was much better, all the way around. I didnt cry a single time, and the amount of liquids ive been having are finally starting to keep my stomach from growling. lol

I was a mess. It got to a point that I would chew up food and spit it out just to taste what my children were eating. I was evil when I couldn't eat. Only fluids was very hard but its just a step to a better way of life. Good luck.

I was a mess. It got to a point that I would chew up food and spit it out just to taste what my children were eating. I was evil when I couldn't eat. Only fluids was very hard but its just a step to a better way of life. Good luck.

Ladybandito, I like your light at the end of the tunnel! You make this sound so worth it and very promising to me. Thank you for that positive thought! :D

Has anyone else found themselves in tears during their pre-op liquid diet?

Im on day 3 and twice today i was bawling...1st was when hubby made Breakfast for him and my son..waffles and bacon (i dont like either thing so u would think it was all good) however the smell of bacon I loveee lol. I got up and went into my bedroom to get away from the smell...and i dont know if I was feeling lonely becasue i had to go sit alone to avoid the temptation, or if it was frustration, sadness, i couldnt tell ya..but i laid there and cried for about 15 mins...sobbing, not just crocodile tears.

then about an hour ago...i told them they should still go to Breakfast tomorrow (its our every sunday routine) they asked if i was sure i was ok with it and i said yes..and i meant it...they then started talking about what they wanted to have...they named off waffles pancakes bacon...again, things i dont even eat...they werent purposely taunting me, but i had to stop them cuz as they were saying it, the tears welled up again .... i didnt sob as hard but i still had them building up for a few mins. They both gave me a hug and said they were sorry. I dont fault them..they have to change certain things too, in order to try and make things easier on me.

So please tell me im not over emotional and that others have had at least one "meltdown".

You've got support here. I fully understand how difficult the liquid diet can be. You will push through it, and you will succeed. My wife was banded back in October 2011 and it was hard for her, especially since she can't handle broth (or Soup for that matter). I'm getting banded in June so I'll be in the same boat as you I'll be here non-stop post op!