Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As A Bander, What Is Your Opinion Of The Sleeve? Would You Get It?

I'm assuming most people on this site are banded, pre-op and post-op. What do YOU think of the gastric sleeve? Did you even consider it? If not, why not? Thanks in advance!

I would only consider it if the band didn't work for me.

(mind you, it's rare for the band not to fail, it's usually the person wearing it who fails)

It's irreversible and removes a large portion of your stomach. To me, that was just way too extreme without trying something less drastic first. So, I got the band.

I love my band, btw. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I considered the sleeve. I liked it because it was a nice compromise between band and gastric bypass. Liked sleeve because I would have faster weight loss.

I ultimately chose the band because it is reversible, adjustable and seemed less risky. Although I have had slower weight loss with the band I can say that 61 pounds in less than a year is good by any standard.

Any of these surgeries have their own set of potential complications and benefits. I imagine your physician has an opinion about which of these would be the right balance of risk and reward.

The sleeve wasnt as popular when I had my surgery 4 years ago.

When choosing the band, my biggest reason for getting it was there was no permanent altercations done to my stomach. Now that seems like less of an issue to me.

What makes me nervous about the sleeve is the return of hunger and the inability to make adjustments. I like that I can get a fill and tighten things up. I also LIKE the follow up with my surgeon. Keeps me accountable.

Both surgeries have risks. Both surgeries take work. I think you need to decide what tool works with your lifestyle.

I do wish I had done piclation with band it's folding the stomach in this way you still have all the stomach surface area for absorption of vitiams and minerals I did consider the sleeve but thought. Band was the option for me

To me the main pro was not to have a foreign object in my body with the sleeve. I went with band as less risk , adjustable and removable and seemed like success was high (and I'm highly motivated),

I desperately wanted the sleeve... I have absolutely no intention of having this reversed... I want this to be permanent...

But, it really came down to a numbers game for me:

-- The mortality rate for the sleeve is 1/200... In the band it's 1/2000.

-- 1% of the people who get the sleeve have a leak, and if they do, they're in AGONY in and out of the hospital for possibly 5-6 months at a time

-- My doctor said that 1/3 of the people who get bypass or sleeve gain it back with no other option afterwards than to get the band (i.e. carny wilson). But if you have the band and start to gain, you can get filled...

IMHO, the sleeve is a fabulous option when it works. But the risk that it could turn out to be a total disaster is way way way too high for me... I have a family that loves me and a 4 year old daughter. I don't have the right to gamble with something that could take me out...

If I had to have my band removed then the sleeve would be my next option. However it would terrify me, the risk of complications is huge. I have just read about someone on the sleeve board that died 6 weeks out presumably from complications from a leak and leaks seem to be quite common. I also think I would have an issue trying to convince my husband to "let" me go ahead.

Looks interesting but wasn't an option when I got my band- I know someone who has it and she is pleased

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I dont know enough about the sleeve to say yes or no. I will say this though.. I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!

i want it but my insurance will only cover the sleeve at a military treatment facility. i have very rare/delicate medical issues due to which i don't feel comfortable being treated at certain places. if i was able to have the sleeve done at my medical facility of choice i believe i'd probably have it done. i have seen so many people do great with the sleeve and i'm truly hoping i will do just as well with lapband.

When I was choosing a WLS procedure, I was uncomfortable with the permanence and higher risks with the sleeve. I chose the band mainly because of its adjustability. I love my band, but now I'm revising to the sleeve because of esophageal motility issues from my band. All other things being equal, I think the sleeve might be a good choice for people who can't afford the time and expense of getting band adjustments (fills and unfills).

The common belief that the band is better because it's reversible is ill-founded. Yes, the band can be removed, but not easily, and it may leave scar tissue behind. And if you don't revise to another bariatric surgery procedure, it's all too easy to regain the weight you lost.

Edited to add: Also, the "foreign object" argument against the band seems blown out of proportion to me. Why is one silicone & titanium medical implant a lifesaver while another is an evil foreign object? The band is made of the same bio-compatible materials as artifical joints and other medical implants that have been used safely for decades. Unless the patient has a history of autoimmune disease, it's highly unlike that the body will "reject" the band the way it would reject an organ. Rejection of transplants that consist of Protein (like a liver or heart) is a serious concern but it doesn't stop patients from getting desperately-needed transplants. The band contains no protein, so it's not subject to the same "foreign body" reaction as a transplanted organ.

My husband was banded 5 years ago, did not have good success, due in most part to him not utilizing it well, and refusing to change his eating habits. He was stuck, and sick all the time, and getting fills after fills, and unfills, and ended up gaining half his weight back. We found another surgeon last year who removed the band, and did the sleeve all in one surgery, took about 90 mins. My husband has lost more weight in 6 months with the sleeve then he did in 5 years with the band. But is now severely lactose intolerant, and has to take b-12 Vitamins pills under his tongue every day. He is happy with his decision to go from band to sleeve. I was banded 7 months ago, and am doing well with it. If by chance in the future my band completely fails on me, i will definitely consider the sleeve.

I must say I Love lapbanders !! You all were able to say why u chose lapband with out being mean about the sleeve.i went to the sleeve support group just to check it out and they were really rude nasty and angry at the lap band.I could not believe it!! It was like the lap band was thee person that objected at their wedding ! It was horrible !! I think most of us looked at all the options and chose what we thought was best for us.wether it was bypass,plication,sleeve or lapband.

and no matter what we chose should all be commended for taking this huge step to get healthy.

With that said I chose the band instead of sleeve becauses of the the statistics listed already,the adjustability,fear of my stomach restretching ,and my fear of having any part of me removed forever and ever :-) like others have said if this fails I may have to consider the sleeve but I will work to help my band help me !!