Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Over

I thought this might be the best place to start getting my butt back in gear. I haven't been to these forums in YEARS and they were such a motivation to me early on. I'm starting over from scratch it seems. I had my surgery several years ago and while my weight loss was at a snails pace, I was loosing. I wasn't the perfect bandster and looking back, I tried to do it my way instead of following the rules. I was hit or miss with exercise....would do great for a few months then get lazy. I had trouble with reflux that required a complete unfill twice. After the last unfill, more than a year ago, I never got filled again. Part of it was me being I guess in a depression. I lost my job, my mother died, just life happened and I turned to my old friend food. However, I'm not back to where I started and sick of it. I have a new job now and many blessings in my life like a great DH and kids that I really lost sight of during a year from hell. I made my appointment for a fill but that isn't until May 15th, the soonest available. However, I'm starting today with doing what I can to cut out some of the really bad habits I've fallen back on, like drinking diet sodas, carb overload and not drinking my Water. And exercise! So I'm just wondering if there is anyone else where I am that is trying to get their sh-- back together and get back to basics and be serious about this? I could sure use the encouragement of someone who has been there and is doing that!

I am starting over again too. I got married 6 months ago and have gained 4 pounds a month since then........I was a slow loser too like you said, but at least I was losing. I joined Curves yesterday. I plan on going to Curves 3 times a week and to my other gym 3 times a week. I didn't know how to adjust shopping for two people, going out to eat (honeymoon phase), and cooking for two people. Before I got married I only cooked for myself and I ate the same foods over and over again. My husband told me he was going to eat chicken breast and sweet potatoes everyday! LOL! Sorry to read about your mother. My mom passed in 2007 and I gained 25 pounds right after she passed in a few months. Some people stop eating when they get sad but I eat more....I wish you well on this journey.

I had my surgery in July of 2008. I slowly lost about 50 lbs. I got down to about 173-ish and still want to get down to about 155. I started noticing in the last 3 or 4 months that I was able to eat more. Before, if I went out to lunch I could eat 1/2 of a sandwich and maybe 4 or 5 fries. a couple of weeks ago, I ate the whole burger and all of my fries! I decided that although I am no longer covered by my insurance for a fill or even a visit to my LB doctor, It would be worth the money to go ahead and see what he had to say. I didnt want this to get out of hand, as I was back up to 180-ish. My willpower is still not good.

I went to my doctor. He asked me a few questions...Do you have any reflux? OHhh yes! If I miss my omeprazole, I have pain in the middle of my chest and jaw pain (its called referred pain) "Well, Angie" he said, "I think your band may e too tight!" I wasn't happy about it, but I let him draw out 0,5 cc. He says I have 8.5 still in my band. He said "I bet you your reflux will be gone before you come back to me in 2 weeks" (May 17th). He sent me for un upper GI. It was funny to watch!! My radiologist (who obviously doesn't know much about lap bands) was amazed at how slow the liquid I had to drink went down. (I'm not sure how slow it's supposed to go down either, but 5 min after about 10 swallows and the Fluid was still in my upper esophagus.) When he laid the table down (with me on it) he said "I can see why you have this problem! it's going up in your throat!"

So---I'm not sure what my doctor is going to say or do. I'm hoping he isnt going to unfill me any more, but Im afraid he will because I am still having the reflux every bit as bad as before! I'm so discouraged. I'm doing well in the EXERCISE dept. I'm doing a ZUMBA class 2-3 times a week (love it!) and walking/ running on my treadmill 1-2 times a week (I actually RAN/JOGGED a whole mile this morning!! That was a first for me. I walk a lot but never ran for that period of time before. It's just the food dept. I struggle with...Feel your pain...we will have to encourage one another!!! We CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

I feel your pain I just started over two days ago have started walking and will be getting a fill next month have not had a fill in six month have not put more weight on but have not lost barely anthing since last fill.

Hi all, I too had lap and surgery 3 years ago and only lost maybe 15 pounds. Kept going back to the doctor who said I was filled to max but I could eat almost anything and no weight loss. So after going back and forth for over a year I just stopped bothering. Well I want to lose this weight and am looking at working with another doctor but so far they won't even see me if they didn't do the surgery. I don't want to go back to the old doctor since didn't do anything. Anyone have any ideas? I started drinking slim fast now to see if that will do anything! So frustrated I want to cry.

I replaced one meal last week with shakes and it worked. I also cut out Cereal and lost 8 pounds so far this week. I didn't even have to go to the gym. I am sure most of it was Water Lol!

see if you can find another one in the area and explain to them your situation and they will most likely help you.

I am starting over as well. I had the Realize band placed in April 09. I lost a total of 83 pounds. I was doing very well; following all the rules. Once I was at a good/comfortable/nice looking weight I got complacent. I was able to maintain my loss even with my complacency.

However, at the end of last year I started experiencing some reflux. At first I didnt think it was a big deal. Then it began coming up while I was asleep. Finally, in January I got an small unfill. I think he took out about 1cc. After that it was all good. Except my bad eating had caught up with me. So, now I have gained exactly 20 lbs. from my lowest weight. I was exercising very regularly for months earlier this year but due to finances have started having to do so at home. I dont know about you all but it's much harder to get off the couch and do it at home. I just know it's time for the scale to stop going up and start going back down.

I am doing the 5 day pouch test beginning Sunday and I am ready for my reboot!! I am having a fill on the 18th. I cant wait to report back that all 20 of those lbs have gone and that my mind is back in the right place!

I'm.starting over too and on day 4 of the 5 day pouch test and determined to try and do it right this time. Good luck

Well I went back to my doctor and the dreaded happened....I got a complete UNfill!! :-( It was a struggle. I never felt completely full. I felt hungry a lot and boy did I struggle. I felt out of control. My band was my lifeline...I was without a fill until I went back AGAIN to the doctor on Friday. He said "are you hungry?" I said "yes, why? are you serving Breakfast? ?" lol....but then I told him "YES, I'm always hungry" he asked me if I wanted a fill (duh!!) he said "Hop up on the table!" Praise the Lord, I got my fill and I can't eat!! yay!! (well, I CAN eat, but in the normal "not much" way!) woo hooo!!! and he said "Good job on not gaining a ton of weight" ( I only gained 5 lbs in about 6 weeks) at a pound a week I'm glad I didnt stay away much longer!

One thing I learned from this is humility(Pride comes before the fall) Don't be too proud, be humble and keep working in it and give praise to God!!

Also I learned not to overeat! The food will always be available.

So, now I have a question....."what is the poucht test? I have never heard of it!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Just got a fill after not getting one for ten months back on liquids for two days...excited about starting over!!!

I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and I am starting over again. I was banded may 2009 and had lost 150# I gained some back while pregnant and I currently have to lose 32# to be back at my goal weight. Having no restriction for 9 months was great but now it's time to get serious!

day two of the liquids only kinda grumpy but following the rules... mind over stomach today...