Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Normal To Eat More Than 4Oz?

Hi, I have my lapband since 6 weeks, and i kind of eat a lot. I had one fill of 1cc 2 weeks ago, but I still eat like 3 cups of Pasta without any problems and I'm still hungry. Shoud I slow down to 1/2 cup even though I will still be hungry? I lost all my weight in my pre-op diet and now I stay at the same weight! Is it because I eat too much? I try to stay at 1400-1600 calories per day. I don't know what to do now, I need to loose weight this summer before University... I take Vitamins, I do workout 30 mins 6 days a week... need some advices please!

Don't eat pasta! It goes easily through the band. Every once in a while is okay, but your meals need to be 3 oz of firm Protein (lean steak, chicken, firm fish like salmon), and 1/2 cup firm vegetables (not easily squished with a fork). Measure your food so you aren't eating too much. Anything that goes slowly through the band will keep you fuller longer. Always eat protein first, it will also keep you fuller longer. Veggies second, then whatever carbs or starches (aka pasta!). Aim for at least 60gm protein a day.

Thanks a lot for this answer I did not know about all thoses facts. What do you eat as Breakfast?

Im so tight in the morning all I can do is a Protein Shake in the morning

I'm going to try on tomorrow and for a week to eat more firm food and also more proteins! Hope to see a difference...!

If you get up in morning drink hot drink wait 30 min the do eggs or I like oatmeal

You might be battling mental hunger as well...you might be physically full..and mentally hungry..I see alot of people of this site focusing on being "full" and im not saying thats all bad.. what i am saying is that i try to aim for "satisfied" and use food as a source of nutrition rather than making me feel a certain way. I was an emotional eater for years and even when i was physically full i didnt know it because i never changed my mindset and mentality about food..I dont have any fill inmy band..im about 12-13 weeks out of surgery and have lost 51 pounds...with no fill. I never eat until im full. i portion things out and always eat my protien first. another thing as far as physical hunger...you need to have Protein with every meal and you need to make sure you eat your protein first. That makes a huge difference. Pasta is empty calories that really dont feel you up ..atleast not for very long.. good luck and if you have any questions or if i can help in anyway.. feel free to message me

How did you quit emotional eating? I think I'm kind of doing that but I don't know how to stop. Mesuring everything? I'm always thinking about food....

I made a decision...I just said no more.. never again and i started thinking of food as nutrition.. and not for pleasure.. i stopped letting my thoughts revolve around when i could eat again and planning out what i wanted three hours in advance..when i had just eaten.. I started focusing more on my gym time and what i was going to do at the gym everyday..what cardio workouts..what weight workouts.. i also started doing activities that didnt revolve arounmd social eating events or just sitting around..I started playing basketball rather than watching tv for 5 hours..or even going bowling rather than an activity where im sitting like at the movie theatre which also gives option to the concsession stand full of junk food and soda...Its proven that people whose daily habits are active habits and not sitting habits... makes a huge difference in a person success in weightloss and maintenence. ..At the end of the day it boils down to you not just wanting it bad enough... but being willing to do everything you need to do in order to make it a lifestyle change. like i said its mostly in our heads! Ill be honest i can finish eating a portioned out meal and still be mentally hungry which leads me to think that im still physically hungry.. but i know im not..and so i dont just keep eating because I FEEL that way. I stop eating when ive finished what i NEED to eat... Its a a choice..is it easy? absolutely not! does it get easier? Yes! Do i have temptation when i am around junk food and yummy stuff? of course! But i dont give to my temptation... Its not like my mental hunger goes away or like im never tempted by anything...I am but i choose to fight my urges and continue to make healthy decisions regardless of how i feel or if im tempted..Its not easy.. but it is and will be worth it for the long haul. There is no set way on how to get rid of emotional hunger some people never do.. they just dont act on it. So its a decision and one that you have to work on ..what are your eating habits like? what are your exercise habits like? do you eat for comfort when your having a bad day?

My doctor said no rice, Pasta or bread definitely until my goal is reached and then he didn't feel it was a good idea at all really. I'd suggest you either find a lap band support group or counseling to work through the emotional eating issues, maybe even both if you can. That's my plan and they say it helps you in your success. I agree with Laurlen02, be sure to get your Protein in at each meal then veggies and fruit.....little or no carbs... that we know helped us in becoming obese. good luck, you can do this.....just focus on why you had the surgery in the first place. Deb

now dont take this as you can never have anythingb you enjoy to eat.. thats not what im saying.. i am saying moderation is key.. and for me as of now while trying to change my mindset i dont allow myself the option of junk food or sweet drinks.. but thats a personal desicion to cut those out.. i want to be as healthy as possible.. will i ever eat junk food again.. sure maybe after i get to goal one day in moderation... but as of right now.. junk food is non filling empty calories that i dont need.. same for sweet drinks. so i just avoid them.. When i fix my plate it consist of 4-5 ounces of meat the size of the palm of my hand of a green non-starchy vegitable and one starch.. such as corn, potatoes, rice and so on... when i eat my plate i eat my meat first (all of it) then move to my grean vegi and then if im still hungry physically.. i will eat my starch.. most of the time i eat half of my starch and all of the meat and veggies.. i have one meal like that a day.. normally in the evenings i get a subway (i dont have a fill so bread goes down fine) i get it on whole wheat bread or 9 grain. and then i have one to 2 Snacks a day..if i have two snack one is fruit and i keep it under a hundred calories.. such as a portion of strawberries, pinapple, peaches in their own juice or a bananna (those are the only fruits i really like lol) and then my other snack is either a protien bar that is about 200 calories or a nature valley granola bar that is about 200 calories as well...so thats kind of an example of my eating in a day.. i dont eat breakfast..DONT FOLLOW THTAT EXAMPLE! I dont know why but ive never been a breakfast person.. on occasion ill eat a banana o start my metabolism because it is very impritant to eat when you wake up..but anyway...its all about control, physically and mentally

one more thing.. my meal plan is due to me not having a fill... all of the things i named may not be things that sit well with you..I dont plan on having a fill until after i reach goal. so i really dont have trouble with any foods at all. But with a fill it is probably different. So rice potattoes corn and bread sit fine with me...but not with most or so ive heard.. so dont use my exact meal plan.. i was just giving an example of healthy..

thanks a lot that is really helping me. I'm gonna start tomorrow morning to eat what i need and take time to make better choices. that's what i had to hear. I'm going to calculate everything and try to see if i eat cause im hungry or not. :)

sounds great! Good luck. keep your head high and your hopes higher :)

I'm curious....why would you have the surgery and then no have the fills?? Don't you think you'd reach your goal much faster if you did?